Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - first post here.

Got lucky and found a '21 Santa Fe Calligraphy two weeks ago. Purchased for about $46,000, outside of Denver Colorado. Immediately de-badged! Here's a few pros and cons over the first 1000 miles:

Pros:
  • Looks really awesome, especially the grille, headlights, and 20" wheels.
  • Huge amount of technology
  • Tan leather interior gets compliments from everyone
  • Pano sunroof
  • Little details, like the subdued map when you're on the screensaver
  • The turbo engine is FAST
  • Lane assist and smart cruise control is really amazing

Cons:
  • The car came without floor mats, dealer says they're delayed until mid-May.
  • Seat belt chime is relentless, and starts right away
  • Engine "auto-stop" is annoying to turn off every time, and i have no clue why anyone would put this in a vehicle.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I have the calligraphy also in the Quartz White. Had to settle for the ugly 19-inch wheels. Would love to get a set of those 20 inchers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the calligraphy also in the Quartz White. Had to settle for the ugly 19-inch wheels. Would love to get a set of those 20 inchers.
Ah man you should have waited. The 20s were non negotiable for me, the wheels make or break this car’s look. (and it still needs to be lowered an inch or two)

Enjoy the V and good luck in the wheel search.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Well you're right. But there were ZERO calligraphys within 200 miles of where I live until two weeks ago. And they all had 19-inch wheels and I could not get any info on when 20 inches would be available, and I needed a car as I had sold the one I had. I have warmed up to the 19-inch wheels a little since I have owned the car, but probably will be getting third party 20-inch wheels and tires. I will say with all the rubber on the 19-inch tires the car drives smooth as silk. I had 21 inch tires on my Lincoln with little rubber and the car ran like s!hit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice. Thank you for the pics. Car looks amazing. How are you doing so far on fuel economy being so high above sea level?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. Thank you for the pics. Car looks amazing. How are you doing so far on fuel economy being so high above sea level?
Thanks! It stays around 19mpg; not as great as my ‘16 Sonata but that’s expected. I’ve put 1100 miles on it in 12 days, with a good mix of city and highway driving.

·
Registered
2020 SantaFe
117 Posts
Well you're right. But there were ZERO calligraphys within 200 miles of where I live until two weeks ago. And they all had 19-inch wheels and I could not get any info on when 20 inches would be available, and I needed a car as I had sold the one I had. I have warmed up to the 19-inch wheels a little since I have owned the car, but probably will be getting third party 20-inch wheels and tires. I will say with all the rubber on the 19-inch tires the car drives smooth as silk. I had 21 inch tires on my Lincoln with little rubber and the car ran like s!hit.
Also had a Lincoln MKX with 20" wheels and it also had a harsh ride. Our Limited rides much better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Interior looks great and the ambient lighting should be on all trims! Quick question, did Hyundai put a light inside the center console and/or the glove box?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice vehicle. Congrats. The 20” wheels look nice. When I first saw the 19” wheels, I thought they were very ugly. The more I’ve looked at them, the more I like them. I think they give it a rugged look.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited AWD, Stormy Sea
51 Posts
I actually don't mind the 19" wheels, but the 20s are definitely in a completely different league. Looks nice!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Looks like they tacked on the ambient light at the last minute. It is nice to have but was not implemented that great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like they tacked on the ambient light at the last minute. It is nice to have but was not implemented that great.
Ah yeah I do have the ambient light, it’s above the glove box and under the center console. Not IN the glove box. You can change the colors, it’s pretty cool but just a novelty.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
13 Posts
Had mine for 3 months now. Really wish I had the 20" wheels, the 19's just are not growing on me. As noted in the beginning I agree with those points for the most part. Some other issues, annoyances I have run into in no particular order.

Using android auto while listening to XM, or radio is a pain, it always wants to start playing audio from AA instead of giving me the choice. You have to go through a not obvious set of keys.
Voice commands in blue link are about useless, almost never work, Simple things like make a call etc.
The headlights have a dim spot down low on the driver side, dealer said they could not adjust any more. A bit disappointing.
The tires were not balanced correctly at the factory, annoyance.
The cruise control calibration is off. It is way to aggressive on trying to control speed on down hills. It slows down too much. In rolling hills you end up slowing down a couple of MPH when going down hill. Cruise set at 60 and you end up doing 58 at the bottom of a hill, messes with people following you. Don't care for the feel and is clearly a gas waster. Slow down and then work hard to speed back up again, not necessary.
Auto speed in cruise, totally useless since it only allows the speed limit to be set. At least in MO it is pretty unsafe to run the speed limit on the highway. The auto speed should allow a speed limit + something (9 for me). Ford does that.
The car does not resume the display where you left it. It should return to map, radio or whatever you were using. Most of the time it goes to a spinning wheel and says loading.
A super bummer for me is the mileage, nowhere near the rated mileage. I bought the car because it was supposed to get 28 on the Hwy. If I drive super conservative I might get 25. In normal driving it is usually down in the 22's with mostly highway driving. Very very speed sensitive, 60 to 80 is a very big difference. I can nearly get similar mileage from my RAM half ton. I do spend most of my time on cruise on the highway.
You have to hit a climate control button to see what the temp is set to. All my other vehicles show me the set temp all the time, having to dive into a menu is not something you should have to do, temp settings should be displayed all the time.
The build in nav system has the incorrect speed limits for several roads nearby. Could find no way of submitting the errors to be fixed.
Inconsistent behavior when the LKA assist gives up. Sometimes it will chime and other times it will turn off and start drifting with no notice to the driver. It should really give you the option of being alerted when it is going to give up. I would make it optional so you have a choice. This behavior without the HUD would be much worse, with the HUD at least you get a visual indication that LKA is checking out.
The need to nudge the wheel every 30 seconds or so is an annoyance but I get it, keep the driver in the loop.

The real issues we have had.
The wife was driving it early on when it started losing power, ended up doing 35 on the hwy. Called me in a panic, car has a mind of it's own yada yada, No warnings of any kind were displayed. She starts yelling I want my old simple santa fe back. Had her shut the car down and restart it, a reboot (I'm in IT). That fixed it. Brought it to the dealer, found nothing, a bit disconcerting, it has not reoccurred.
Last night I an coming home and as usual I flip on cruise and LKA, It just starts veering into the left lane, this is new and pretty sub optimal. Turn it off and on same result. Try again today and just just goes left slowly, dings a few times and tries to change lanes. Have a service appointment for Monday, long drive this weekend, would have been handy. Dealer does not do loaners, disappointing, even the lame RAM/Chrysler dealer offers a loaner for warranty work. Have a spare vehicle but it does complicate the drop off/pick up. We shall see how the dealers handle the new technology, this was the biggest worry for me when purchasing this.
The cruise has taken to sometimes flashing for 20 or 30 seconds before becoming available. An annoyance.

So that said I still really like the car (except for the hideous 19" wheels), the DCT is a bit odd at times but it shifts at lightning speed, The car is pretty ridiculously fast in sport mode. The ride quality is way better than I expected. Handling is quite good, noise is pretty low, not a sports car but better than I expected. Stereo is pretty good, the HUD and display are all pretty nice. The interior is pretty comfy and has an upscale look and feel to it. The driver assistance stuff really does help the fatigue on long drives. I drive quite a bit and find it quite comfortable. A lot of my complaints could be fixed by updates, other than the mileage I suppose. Still like it but.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the car because it was supposed to get 28 on the Hwy. If I drive super conservative I might get 25. In normal driving it is usually down in the 22's with mostly highway driving. A lot of my complaints could be fixed by updates, other than the mileage I suppose.
Your mileage should improve as break in continues and we enter the warmer months.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
717 Posts
Had mine for 3 months now. Really wish I had the 20" wheels, the 19's just are not growing on me. As noted in the beginning I agree with those points for the most part. Some other issues, annoyances I have run into in no particular order.

Using android auto while listening to XM, or radio is a pain, it always wants to start playing audio from AA instead of giving me the choice. You have to go through a not obvious set of keys.
Voice commands in blue link are about useless, almost never work, Simple things like make a call etc.
The headlights have a dim spot down low on the driver side, dealer said they could not adjust any more. A bit disappointing.
The tires were not balanced correctly at the factory, annoyance.
The cruise control calibration is off. It is way to aggressive on trying to control speed on down hills. It slows down too much. In rolling hills you end up slowing down a couple of MPH when going down hill. Cruise set at 60 and you end up doing 58 at the bottom of a hill, messes with people following you. Don't care for the feel and is clearly a gas waster. Slow down and then work hard to speed back up again, not necessary.
Auto speed in cruise, totally useless since it only allows the speed limit to be set. At least in MO it is pretty unsafe to run the speed limit on the highway. The auto speed should allow a speed limit + something (9 for me). Ford does that.
The car does not resume the display where you left it. It should return to map, radio or whatever you were using. Most of the time it goes to a spinning wheel and says loading.
A super bummer for me is the mileage, nowhere near the rated mileage. I bought the car because it was supposed to get 28 on the Hwy. If I drive super conservative I might get 25. In normal driving it is usually down in the 22's with mostly highway driving. Very very speed sensitive, 60 to 80 is a very big difference. I can nearly get similar mileage from my RAM half ton. I do spend most of my time on cruise on the highway.
You have to hit a climate control button to see what the temp is set to. All my other vehicles show me the set temp all the time, having to dive into a menu is not something you should have to do, temp settings should be displayed all the time.
The build in nav system has the incorrect speed limits for several roads nearby. Could find no way of submitting the errors to be fixed.
Inconsistent behavior when the LKA assist gives up. Sometimes it will chime and other times it will turn off and start drifting with no notice to the driver. It should really give you the option of being alerted when it is going to give up. I would make it optional so you have a choice. This behavior without the HUD would be much worse, with the HUD at least you get a visual indication that LKA is checking out.
The need to nudge the wheel every 30 seconds or so is an annoyance but I get it, keep the driver in the loop.

The real issues we have had.
The wife was driving it early on when it started losing power, ended up doing 35 on the hwy. Called me in a panic, car has a mind of it's own yada yada, No warnings of any kind were displayed. She starts yelling I want my old simple santa fe back. Had her shut the car down and restart it, a reboot (I'm in IT). That fixed it. Brought it to the dealer, found nothing, a bit disconcerting, it has not reoccurred.
Last night I an coming home and as usual I flip on cruise and LKA, It just starts veering into the left lane, this is new and pretty sub optimal. Turn it off and on same result. Try again today and just just goes left slowly, dings a few times and tries to change lanes. Have a service appointment for Monday, long drive this weekend, would have been handy. Dealer does not do loaners, disappointing, even the lame RAM/Chrysler dealer offers a loaner for warranty work. Have a spare vehicle but it does complicate the drop off/pick up. We shall see how the dealers handle the new technology, this was the biggest worry for me when purchasing this.
The cruise has taken to sometimes flashing for 20 or 30 seconds before becoming available. An annoyance.

So that said I still really like the car (except for the hideous 19" wheels), the DCT is a bit odd at times but it shifts at lightning speed, The car is pretty ridiculously fast in sport mode. The ride quality is way better than I expected. Handling is quite good, noise is pretty low, not a sports car but better than I expected. Stereo is pretty good, the HUD and display are all pretty nice. The interior is pretty comfy and has an upscale look and feel to it. The driver assistance stuff really does help the fatigue on long drives. I drive quite a bit and find it quite comfortable. A lot of my complaints could be fixed by updates, other than the mileage I suppose. Still like it but.....
Sounds like you might have gotten one built on Monday after the super bowl lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
  • Engine "auto-stop" is annoying to turn off every time, and i have no clue why anyone would put this in a vehicle.
It's in the vehicle to get better fuel economy ratings. It so easily starts up it doesn't bother me although if it's hot out there's not a lot of air blowing while the engine is off.

The 20s were non negotiable for me, the wheels make or break this car’s look.
Your wheels look good but I actually like the funky 19s and the better ride comfort.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts