Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
543 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges. The production of SFs/Sorento can easily be met and/or surpass the demand....whereas they currently can't keep up with the demand for the Telluride. No one is paying sticker or over sticker price for a SF/Sorento.
So....the Sorrento/SF sales are higher because....Kia and Hyundai suppress supply? I guess it wouldn't make sense for them to increase production to sell a vehicle that's more profitable.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
424 Posts
So....the Sorrento/SF sales are higher because....Kia and Hyundai suppress supply? I guess it wouldn't make sense for them to increase production to sell a vehicle that's more profitable.
I don't see anywhere in my statement a mention of suppressing supply. The Sorento/SF sales are higher because Hyundai/Kia can produce more....of course there are other factors...Again, if you are looking at demand, the demand for the Telluride/Palisade exceeds that of the SF/Sorento. Did you pay sticker price or slightly above sticker for your SF or did you get a nice discount?

Demand for the Kia Telluride SUV is so high dealers can't keep them on their lots

I'm quite sure the SF/Sorento sits on the lot quite a bit longer than 15 days.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't see anywhere in my statement a mention of suppressing supply. The Sorento/SF sales are higher because Hyundai/Kia can produce more....of course there are other factors...Again, if you are looking at demand, the demand for the Telluride/Palisade exceeds that of the SF/Sorento. Did you pay sticker price or slightly above sticker for your SF or did you get a nice discount?

Demand for the Kia Telluride SUV is so high dealers can't keep them on their lots

I'm quite sure the SF/Sorento sits on the lot quite a bit longer than 15 days.
Palisade and Telluride have each been out since spring/summer of '19. Why wouldn't they increase production if there is all this excess demand? The answer isn't Covid interrupting manufacturing, because that would be across all models. By underproducing what they could sell, they would be giving dealers all the extra profit because the cars sell close to MSRP. If there was all this demand that's going unfulfilled that the sales would outpace Sorrento/SF, corporate would be raking in more profit from sales of more vehicles. Why can they produce more Sorrentos and SFs, but not Palisades and Tellurides? Makes no sense. So...if they know they could sell way more Palisades and Tellurides, but don't add more production, that's surprising supply.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
424 Posts
Palisade and Telluride have each been out since spring/summer of '19. Why wouldn't they increase production if there is all this excess demand? The answer isn't Covid interrupting manufacturing, because that would be across all models. By underproducing what they could sell, they would be giving dealers all the extra profit because the cars sell close to MSRP. If there was all this demand that's going unfulfilled that the sales would outpace Sorrento/SF, corporate would be raking in more profit from sales of more vehicles. Why can they produce more Sorrentos and SFs, but not Palisades and Tellurides? Makes no sense. So...if they know they could sell way more Palisades and Tellurides, but don't add more production, that's surprising supply.
Supply chain isn't so simple...increasing production can't be done on a whim (ask Tesla). You need to have the capacity to do so, and your suppliers need to have the capacity to be able to support increased production. I think Hyundai underestimated the demand and how well the Palisade/Telluride would sell. I don't think they are intentionally underproducing. When they released the Telluride they set a production target of 60K units per year. Again, demand exceeded what they can produce. SF/Sorento are both produced in America. Telluride is also produced in America. Palisade is built in Korea. HMMA just got done this year building up and retooling the plant to support the new engine and new models. They would have to build and retool the plant even more to support increased Palisade production (if they decide to build it in America). That's not something that can happen over night.

But, back to the question at hand....which was concern over whether the new SF would also see the same kind of demand the Palisade/Telluride have and consequently also have MSRP markups.
@njerald predicted that it would and the SF would be a best seller.

My opinion is that the new SF won't. Vehicles like the RAV4, CRV, Jeep Cherokee & Grand Cherokee, Nissan Rogue etc. outsell the Santa Fe. The SF is a great vehicle, but unseating the segment leaders won't happen overnight, thus we don't have to worry about MSRP markups or paying sticker for a SF/Sorento....unless you buy one as soon as it is released.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another huge guy. Goody. Looks like MG ZS. Not a square and sharp one but I love it.
I am a large guy, and I fit in the 2020 Santa Fe better than anything I tried. The 2021 is supposed to have even more interior room. I tried the driver, passenger, and rear seats and felt fine in all of them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I am a large guy, and I fit in the 2020 Santa Fe better than anything I tried. The 2021 is supposed to have even more interior room. I tried the driver, passenger, and rear seats and felt fine in all of them.
2021 has same interior dimensions of the 2020. Cargo capacity is up slightly in 2021.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
2021's should be soon based on 2020 inventory:

Within 50 miles of me, only 3 2020 Sorento SX vehicles and only 14 Santa Fe Limited and Limited 2.0T vehicles available....down a lot from 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2021's should be soon based on 2020 inventory:

Within 50 miles of me, only 3 2020 Sorento SX vehicles and only 14 Santa Fe Limited and Limited 2.0T vehicles available....down a lot from 2 weeks ago.
I'm seeing massive discounts on Sorento's. $5500 cash back from all dealers. One dealer had an additional discount of $5500 for an EX trim. I've only really checked Santa Fe inventory in my area (NYC) and it's been about the same.

I'm wondering if I should hold out a little longer for the Santa Fe and see if they'll offer a bigger cash incentive like Kia?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm seeing massive discounts on Sorento's. $5500 cash back from all dealers. One dealer had an additional discount of $5500 for an EX trim. I've only really checked Santa Fe inventory in my area (NYC) and it's been about the same.

I'm wondering if I should hold out a little longer for the Santa Fe and see if they'll offer a bigger cash incentive like Kia?
They probably will. But you run the risk of not finding one that you want the longer you wait.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
Use Truecar.com

2020s In my area:

Sorento SX V6 AWD, MSRP $43,405, Market average $35,753

Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD, MSRP $40,750, Market Average $37,243

If you go one step further, you will get the Truecar price at your Truecar dealers. It should be better than the Market average but everyone qualifies for different Mfr. incentives.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
837 Posts
But the 2020 Sorento is the end of cycle, would expect to get much better % discount than the SF. Although the SF gets refresh, but it is still fresher than the much older Sorento design.

·
Registered
543 Posts
But the 2020 Sorento is the end of cycle, would expect to get much better % discount than the SF. Although the SF gets refresh, but it is still fresher than the much older Sorento design.
Exactly. At this point, I personally would not be really interested in a 2020 Sorento. Kia needs to clear them out.

·
Registered
2015 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD Ultimate
13 Posts
Now that Hyundai has announced the 2.5L engines in the 2021, I’ve got my eye on the new Calligraphy model, with the 2.5T and AWD as standard. Folding outside mirrors too, finally.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
My Choice based on Specs and Features published so far: Maybe the PHEV options of the two will be better....

These are the differences I can find:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Wouldn’t the SF Calligraphy edition be a closer comparison to the Kia you show here?
SF Hybrid not available in the Calligraphy triim. Really wanted a hybrid with Captains chairs and 3rd row.

I can get those in the Sorento but NOT in SX trim, just 2 stripper, low feature, trims....

121 - 140 of 142 Posts