Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
164 Posts
I don't understand why they have a refresh so soon, only after 2 years. I've seen a redesign usually at least 4 years out. Nevertheless, I'm on the fence whether I like the new design. There are things that I like, and things that I don't. I like the bigger infotainment screen, the 20" wheels, the tail light design. Looks like they added paddle shifters as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have they widened the 2021 Santa Fe? That center console looks like it would be wider than whats currently offered. And at least it looks like they raised the rear turn signals from the lower rear bumper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fans of a shifter you can hold on to and shift manually better get a car soon because the new trend is push buttons. Like in the 60's. That's a big reason I bought my 2019 over other brands. I drove them all. 30k to 80k. My daughter bought a beautiful Palisade but no shifter no go for me. I had a Mercedes ML350 that didn't have a shifter and I hated it for that.

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
296 Posts
As I mentioned in post 12, I am not a fan of push button shifting either. That's great since I need to be satisfied with my 2019 for another 8 years yet ;) .

What the heck did Hyundai do with the wheel surrounds? It's almost like they are INDented, unless I'm not viewing the side view photos correctly. Strange idea for that sheet metal.

I know there was a bunch of 2018 and earlier owners posting in summer 2018 how ugly the 2019 front ends and interiors with the suspended tablet that's since taken over many other designs, so this one will take some time for us 2019-20 owners as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Like only the Santa Fe tail lights over the 2021 Kia Sorento which has a much nicer interior and integrated infotainment screen.

They redid the Sorento and Santa Fe on the 2021 Sonata Hybrid base. All will have the 1.6L turbo and electric motor. The Limited Sonata hybrid will get in the mid 40's combined gas mileage. The Sante Fe and Sorento will weigh 300-400 lbs. more.

Heads up display, 10.25" infotainment, auto tailgate and Mileage in the 40's sold my wife........

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not really a fan of those push button style shifters. I know they can clear up a lot of space on the centre console but I still prefer of have the traditional one. I think the front looks ok IMO, it's kinda unique in some way.
They cleared up a minimal amount of space with the shifter, then squandered it with a less space efficient design. The rest of the buttons look very crowded, and there's less storage.

Some other observations:

I guess the driver only gets to drink juice boxes? Are they hoping BoKu™ makes a comeback?

The volume and tuning knobs have been different in different pictures. The knurled roller ones look like a pain to use.

Painted cladding could backfire. It looks sleeker, but loses the rougher, outdoorsy style that draws Americans to crossovers in the first place.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
254 Posts
I don't understand why they have a refresh so soon, only after 2 years. I've seen a redesign usually at least 4 years out. Nevertheless, I'm on the fence whether I like the new design. There are things that I like, and things that I don't. I like the bigger infotainment screen, the 20" wheels, the tail light design. Looks like they added paddle shifters as well.

I think it was done so soon because it is also riding on the new platform.

·
Registered
18 Posts
20" wheels would be a non starter for me. Last car had 19" low profile tires and the reduced height of tire led to road rash on the wheels and a harsher ride. Love the 18" tire on our current Limiter. We also had a Lincoln MKX same issue and insult to injury the tire cost more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
20" wheels would be a non starter for me. Last car had 19" low profile tires and the reduced height of tire led to road rash on the wheels and a harsher ride. Love the 18" tire on our current Limiter. We also had a Lincoln MKX same issue and insult to injury the tire cost more.
From the looks of the pic those aren't low profile tires. The current 19" wheels also have a good amount of sidewall and have a nice ride.

I grazed the curb yesterday and thanks to the generous amount of sidewall didn't scuff the rims.

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
296 Posts
The rims in C&D are different from poster 22's photos. 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Shows New Face, Nicer Interior
Still confused why Hyundai would stick with the 2.4/2.0T with the newer 2.5 on other models.
As I mentioned I want a shift lever but the Terrain selector might be good if similar to Jeeps, eg Snow forcing the AWD lock (as long as I can manually pick it).

·
Registered
254 Posts
The rims in C&D are different from poster 22's photos. 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Shows New Face, Nicer Interior
Still confused why Hyundai would stick with the 2.4/2.0T with the newer 2.5 on other models.
As I mentioned I want a shift lever but the Terrain selector might be good if similar to Jeeps, eg Snow forcing the AWD lock (as long as I can manually pick it).

I doubt they are sticking with the current engines. Theta II engines are way overdue for replacement. I think the plant in Alabama has been retooled to also produce the new engines.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe / SEL / 2.4L FWD
58 Posts
Hyundai like other car manufacturers should not stay with a updated model for few year so the vehicles hold their value??? At least 4 to 5 years and during that period of time be changing little things like details on light or a line here or there but this is insane.. It's beautiful and all that but is disrespectful for 2019-20 owners that thrusted the Brand. That big change for me was to fast

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
461 Posts
Fans of a shifter you can hold on to and shift manually better get a car soon because the new trend is push buttons. Like in the 60's. That's a big reason I bought my 2019 over other brands. I drove them all. 30k to 80k. My daughter bought a beautiful Palisade but no shifter no go for me. I had a Mercedes ML350 that didn't have a shifter and I hated it for that.
You should have both hands on the wheel anyway...

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
296 Posts
Interesting video, I watched it on mute since I had other music playing on audio. Besides the license plate the 3 seater is a give away this is not a North American Santa Fe.
I was surprised the 2020-19 model has these indents on the wheel wells so I went to look and sure enough my 2019 has that. So negate my earlier post comment. Perhaps it's looks different since the 2021 presumably luxury model no longer has the "rough gray" trim pieces on door bottoms etc. The 2021 rear end is nice with that extra LED drip piece across the hatch but I'm concerned where they put the fog lamps in front. My 2019 fogs are very effective in low beam night driving, as good as the 2007 Jeep GC I traded in. Other than the no-shift-lever interior the wider center screen seems to work with all the controls concentrated on the forward center console area. Other than showing a hybrid badge, it would be nice to see a 2021 US/NA engine bay and of course all of this is dependent on what's sold here (and I don't really care just curious planning to keep my 2019 8 more years).

21 - 40 of 65 Posts