Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Never buy a car built on Monday? Never buy a car in it’s first year. Wait until they clean up all the kinks and buy a year or two later.
True, but I didn't have that luxury coming off a lease. The 2021 8th generation Sonata is in year two, so does the an N Line qualify as year two even though it’s technically a new trim level?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not a huge concern with this car vs a car built on a completely new platform. The car shares a ton with the regular Sonata. The engine, while new, is used in other Genesis products and the transmission is either the same or very similar to the one used in the Veloster N. Not a ton of things on this car that should cause a lot of concern.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
819 Posts
Not a huge concern with this car vs a car built on a completely new platform. The car shares a ton with the regular Sonata. The engine, while new, is used in other Genesis products and the transmission is either the same or very similar to the one used in the Veloster N. Not a ton of things on this car that should cause a lot of concern.
While that’s true, you do realize that the Sonata, this motor, and this gearbox are all new for 2020, right? Just because it’s used on multiple models doesn’t mean it won’t have early life issues.

·
Registered
366 Posts
While that’s true, you do realize that the Sonata, this motor, and this gearbox are all new for 2020, right? Just because it’s used on multiple models doesn’t mean it won’t have early life issues.
We bought a second year Sonata, the 2021 Sonata N Line, first year that trim was available. So you would hope any known issues with 2020 Sonatas were updated for the 2021 models.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
63 Posts
Interesting, I’ve noticed some misaligned panels/bumpers on my N Line as well.

Also want to do the clear bra, how much did that run you, shop install it or do it yourself?
Mobile installer HOME | -ultimateautoskin- applied in my garage. Unique N Line front bumper cover necessitated a custom cut of the 3M Pro material. Cost for front bumper cover, headlights, hood, front fenders, external mirrors, and rear bumper cover top ledge was $995. My dealer quoted $1,200 for their paint protection and then indicated their kit was not applicable to the N Line front bumper cover.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mobile installer HOME | -ultimateautoskin- applied in my garage. Unique N Line front bumper cover necessitated a custom cut of the 3M Pro material. Cost for front bumper cover, headlights, hood, front fenders, external mirrors, and rear bumper cover top ledge was $995. My dealer quoted $1,200 for their paint protection and then indicated their kit was not applicable to the N Line front bumper cover.
Ok, thanks for the info. That company seems to be local to you? No idea where they’re located and what areas/states they cover.

I would mostly likely do the fascia, hood and maybe mirror skulls.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
63 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. That company seems to be local to you? No idea where they’re located and what areas/states they cover.

I would mostly likely do the fascia, hood and maybe mirror skulls.
Ultimate Auto Skin is a one person mobile business that services primarily Porsche, BMW, Audi and Corvette owners in North Seattle, Redmond and Bellevue. The owner, Matt, has been in business for over 18 years from back in the Stongard days when the 3M product would turn yellow after a couple of years. The new 3M Scotchgard Pro is self healing if it gets minor scratches. 3M VentureShield is also a good product. I would avoid Expel unless you go with the high end Ultimate Plus PPF.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ultimate Auto Skin is a one person mobile business that services primarily Porsche, BMW, Audi and Corvette owners in North Seattle, Redmond and Bellevue. The owner, Matt, has been in business for over 18 years from back in the Stongard days when the 3M product would turn yellow after a couple of years. The new 3M Scotchgard Pro is self healing if it gets minor scratches. 3M VentureShield is also a good product. I would avoid Expel unless you go with the high end Ultimate Plus PPF.
Thanks for the product info, I’ll look for a local installer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We bought a second year Sonata, the 2021 Sonata N Line, first year that trim was available. So you would hope any known issues with 2020 Sonatas were updated for the 2021 models.
But the engine and gear box in the N-Line were not used on any model year 2020 vehicle. They're new for model year 2021 on Veloster, Sonata, Santa Fe, Genesis GV 80 and Kia K5. So you kinda are buying a first model year. It's a lot more than just a new trim level.

·
Registered
366 Posts
But the engine and gear box in the N-Line were not used on any model year 2020 vehicle. They're new for model year 2021 on Veloster, Sonata, Santa Fe, Genesis GV 80 and Kia K5. So you kinda are buying a first model year. It's a lot more than just a new trim level.
Yep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have 1300 miles on mine, less then 3 weeks old, I like to drive.

No issues, the dct is fantastic, coming from a gti with their dsg and this is just as good and far Superior programing over the vw, the sport and sport plus are very "smart" if you drive easy, it will act like you are, bit when you go full nuts, it will obliged you.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2011 Sonata GLS
51 Posts
Have 1300 miles on mine, less then 3 weeks old, I like to drive.

No issues, the dct is fantastic, coming from a gti with their dsg and this is just as good and far Superior programing over the vw, the sport and sport plus are very "smart" if you drive easy, it will act like you are, bit when you go full nuts, it will obliged you.
Happy Easter! Less than 150 miles on mine, only 4 days old, loving this powertrain as well. I actually like the dct in normal most of the time; with the slight pause between shifts it almost sounds like you're smoothly rowing your own. The other modes hang on to the current gear when you let up on the accelerator which I don't really need. There is a slight amount of jerkiness at very slow speeds when it hasn't yet warmed up but that lessens as it comes up to operating temp. That may also improve with break in.

Since I'm in the break in period I'm taking it fairly easy but am very impressed with the responsiveness of the 2.5T engine. It doesn't take much pedal to get it scooting along right smartly. Haven't noticed any turbo lag yet. The torque is tremendous. If you aren't in a straight line the inner front wheel can break loose fairly easily, but that just adds to the fun. The first time I really get on it I'll for sure be straight.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I get it, still not too worried. I wasn't too bothered by this since I came from a highly reliable '16 Sonata Limited PHEV, a powertrain that is way more complicated in a different way. Knowing that the 10 year/ 100k warranty is on my side is also also helpful. The 2.5 T is going into a lot of products so they better have sorted it out or they will have a big issue on their hands! I have lived through the pain of first year engine issues on a 2010 Equinox, including multiple time wasting dealer trips, a 2 week repair that ultimately failed a week later, followed by a 2 week full engine replacement. That car never felt right after that repair (shifts were harsh, lost confidence in the product) and was traded about 300 miles later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This dual clutch feels better than the VW model, which has been around for years. They always feel different at low speeds and first movement. I'm super happy with it

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet or this forum. I do NOT believe in anyway shape or form that he bought a new N-Line for 29K.
Would you like me to upload my dealer sheet? I am too old to lie about a Hyundai my friend. The car is junk and made a bad choice.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Never buy a car built on Monday? Never buy a car in it’s first year. Wait until they clean up all the kinks and buy a year or two later.
Never buy a Hyundai regardless of the model. What's the point of a new model if they can't get it right? Wait 2 years? Then it will be just another car and is why I bought this one due to the new factor. That theory is out the window due to robots building cars and the extreme engineering that goes into them. I can understand that theory back in the 60' and 70's when humans actually built 80% of the cars.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Never buy a Hyundai regardless of the model. What's the point of a new model if they can't get it right? Wait 2 years? Then it will be just another car and is why I bought this one due to the new factor. That theory is out the window due to robots building cars and the extreme engineering that goes into them. I can understand that theory back in the 60' and 70's when humans actually built 80% of the cars.
Robots are only as smart as the humans programming them...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Issues with early year models of a generation, in my opinion, become more of a concern once a car goes out of warranty. So basically, it’s the next guy’s problem, not mine. 😂

·
Registered
155 Posts
Issues with early year models of a generation, in my opinion, become more of a concern once a car goes out of warranty. So basically, it’s the next guy’s problem, not mine. 😂
I agree to some extent but when those things make owning the car unenjoyable and taking time away from life to address, the "free" part doesn't make it worth it. Unfortunately, Mike-NLINE seems to have had a bunch of problems that no one else has seen and I totally understand wanting to get rid of something that should have been more or less, issue free.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts