Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a new Hyundai Owner and of course new to this forum. I purchased a Black N-Line last week and will provide my review below. Overall I am very pleased with the car despite having some wheel/tire issues. Nice to meet everyone.

2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line (Black) with 575 miles currently.

Purchase price out the door - $29,000 (Sticker was $34) bought it at Rick Case Hyundai located in Duluth, GA
Why I bought it - I wanted a reliable daily driver that still checked the boxes for 1. Affordability 2. Technology, 3. Fun Factor, 4. Power, style and comfort
How I drive it - Again, this is my daily driver that I use to commute to work (40 Miles Highway) and around town.

Highs:
Price point compared to other cars in it's class (Jetta GLI, BMW 330i, Honda Accord 2.0i, Subaru WRX) I test drove all of them and decided to go with the Hyundai.
Power - This car is a torque monster and is a blast to drive. Zero hesitation and 311 ft Lbs. of torque on tap at 1400 RPM. It's fun with traction control off, feels like my old Pontiac Grand Prix with the Supercharged V6. Lots of wheel spin in the first 3 gears. Some will say this is a fault needs a limited slip/AWD however that will take away from the fun factor and people looking at you in your Hyundai.
Technology - Great all digital dash, infotainment system and features. I am really digging the the this for the price point and the factory Bose System sounds good. I do not like the Bose simulated surround sound when on. Stereo is meant to heard in Stereo, not a fake surround sound.
Drivability - The Dual Wet Clutch system is very good however it's a learning curve if our coming from a standard torque converter. It feels like your dipping and engaging the clutch as you would if you had a manual but Hyundai did a great job on the smoothness. Not jerky at all compared to my garbage 2012 Ford Focus that I wanted to blow up!
Comfort - This car has a long wheel base and drives great on any surface. Road noise is a bit more then I wanted but your getting performance in place of it so I am okay with the increased noise
Suspension - It's firm but not to firm where it's uncomfortable. I prefer to feel the car rather then it float over a body you just ran over. It may be too firm for a family with smaller kids and a car seat in the back. It will wake a sleeping baby.

Lows:
Quality Control - I bought the car with 5 miles on it and when I had it on the highway there is a horrible vibration in the wheel and in the seat of the car. I test drove another N-Line at another dealer and it had the same issue. I am taking it in again on Monday to get the tires re-balanced for the 2nd time. A car that tops at 150 Mph should not have this horrible balance issue at speeds above 65 MPH. Vibration fades in and out every 10 seconds at 70 MPH. Leads me to a defective tire as a bent rim would have a consistent vibration.
I also noticed on a few N-Lines I test drove that the steering wheel is not strait when going strait. Hyundai told me it needed an alignment however the car does not pull and drives strait. The dealer said they do not have the Alignment programing in yet. Total BS
Paint / Finish - There are some imperfections on the body however very small and smaller then a dime.

Summary - I am hoping Hyundai will correct the vibration issue as I do not want to continue this path and file a lemon law case. I enjoy the car very much and if this issue is resolved I look forward to a longer relationship with the vehicle.

If you have any questions in regards if you should buy a N-Line, let me know via a message.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
443 Posts
Nice, I've owned 7 Sonata's and although I love them, each one always felt that the suspension could be better (more solid and sturdy). However not a deal breaker (since I've had 7 of them).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats. Nicel looking vehicle! Hope the wheel/tire issue is resolved soon. Does your owner's manual indicate the recommended oil, oil change interval and maintenance requirments of the wet DCT?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats. Nicel looking vehicle! Hope the wheel/tire issue is resolved soon. Does your owner's manual indicate the recommended oil, oil change interval and maintenance requirments of the wet DCT?
7500-mile intervals and 3 years included. Guessing the first maintenance is after that. I lease so looking forward to not ever doing one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great review. Agree wholeheartedly about the powertrain. Not experienced any tranny weirdness yet and I got to practice engine braking on the way home on a sleepy country road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am a new Hyundai Owner and of course new to this forum. I purchased a Black N-Line last week and will provide my review below. Overall I am very pleased with the car despite having some wheel/tire issues. Nice to meet everyone.

2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line (Black) with 575 miles currently.

Purchase price out the door - $29,000 (Sticker was $34) bought it at Rick Case Hyundai located in Duluth, GA
Why I bought it - I wanted a reliable daily driver that still checked the boxes for 1. Affordability 2. Technology, 3. Fun Factor, 4. Power, style and comfort
How I drive it - Again, this is my daily driver that I use to commute to work (40 Miles Highway) and around town.

Highs:
Price point compared to other cars in it's class (Jetta GLI, BMW 330i, Honda Accord 2.0i, Subaru WRX) I test drove all of them and decided to go with the Hyundai.
Power - This car is a torque monster and is a blast to drive. Zero hesitation and 311 ft Lbs. of torque on tap at 1400 RPM. It's fun with traction control off, feels like my old Pontiac Grand Prix with the Supercharged V6. Lots of wheel spin in the first 3 gears. Some will say this is a fault needs a limited slip/AWD however that will take away from the fun factor and people looking at you in your Hyundai.
Technology - Great all digital dash, infotainment system and features. I am really digging the the this for the price point and the factory Bose System sounds good. I do not like the Bose simulated surround sound when on. Stereo is meant to heard in Stereo, not a fake surround sound.
Drivability - The Dual Wet Clutch system is very good however it's a learning curve if our coming from a standard torque converter. It feels like your dipping and engaging the clutch as you would if you had a manual but Hyundai did a great job on the smoothness. Not jerky at all compared to my garbage 2012 Ford Focus that I wanted to blow up!
Comfort - This car has a long wheel base and drives great on any surface. Road noise is a bit more then I wanted but your getting performance in place of it so I am okay with the increased noise
Suspension - It's firm but not to firm where it's uncomfortable. I prefer to feel the car rather then it float over a body you just ran over. It may be too firm for a family with smaller kids and a car seat in the back. It will wake a sleeping baby.

Lows:
Quality Control - I bought the car with 5 miles on it and when I had it on the highway there is a horrible vibration in the wheel and in the seat of the car. I test drove another N-Line at another dealer and it had the same issue. I am taking it in again on Monday to get the tires re-balanced for the 2nd time. A car that tops at 150 Mph should not have this horrible balance issue at speeds above 65 MPH. Vibration fades in and out every 10 seconds at 70 MPH. Leads me to a defective tire as a bent rim would have a consistent vibration.
I also noticed on a few N-Lines I test drove that the steering wheel is not strait when going strait. Hyundai told me it needed an alignment however the car does not pull and drives strait. The dealer said they do not have the Alignment programing in yet. Total BS
Paint / Finish - There are some imperfections on the body however very small and smaller then a dime.

Summary - I am hoping Hyundai will correct the vibration issue as I do not want to continue this path and file a lemon law case. I enjoy the car very much and if this issue is resolved I look forward to a longer relationship with the vehicle.

If you have any questions in regards if you should buy a N-Line, let me know via a message.

View attachment 454307
No problems thus far with my N Line. Defective rotors causing the vibration? Did they replace the rotors?

·
Registered
2020 SantaFe
117 Posts
Are the tires the same size all around? If so switch them around to see if the vibration lessens or increases. You may be able to diagnose where the problem is if Hyundai doesn't.
Even if they aren't the same size maybe switch the fronts to the back and the backs to the front if they don't interfere with suspension/body parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I test drove a Sonata N-Line, it's nice. Not enough to get me to leave my 2006 Sonata V6 yet. It's quieter and faster on the freeway (instant torque) , the ride is firmer, the new-fangled electronics I can take or leave that stuff. I like the gloss on the outside on the pillars thing it may hold up better. It did not "wow me" to buy it, to its credit, it's better than the Stinger I test drove a while back.

If my car totally breaks down, I would like to buy it. Just not enough of a difference yet. You would think with 15 years it would be lightyears ahead, its not.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
84 Posts
I have to take my N line in Monday for service. The rear window is leaking and collision system failure. 378 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
819 Posts
I test drove a Sonata N-Line, it's nice. Not enough to get me to leave my 2006 Sonata V6 yet. It's quieter and faster on the freeway (instant torque) , the ride is firmer, the new-fangled electronics I can take or leave that stuff. I like the gloss on the outside on the pillars thing it may hold up better. It did now wow me to buy it, it's better than the Stinger I test drove a while back.

If my car totally breaks down, I would like to buy it. Just not enough of a difference yet. You would think with 15 years it would be lightyears ahead, its not.
Say what? A 2021 car with a turbocharged, 4-cylinder motor, with dual injection and an 8-speed, wet DCT isn’t light years ahead of your 2006 V6 Sonata? Not to mention the driver assist features like LKA/LFA, etc.

What do you need the car to do? Be 100% self-drivable and fly?

I mean... don’t buy it if you don’t want it and if you’re happy with yours, but yes, it is way ahead of yours. By miles, if not light years.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I hope it isn't a legit collision or drop or something, pre purchase. The windshield seal could be a bad day at the office, but the collision sensor?
Let’s face it, no car, brand of car will always be perfect. But the few bad and negative reviews/experiences posted on this site over the past week or two are rather alarming, but I’m a little skeptical owners are having so much trouble after only a few hundreds miles.

Hyundai does rank like 4th out of every auto brand which is impressive. Time will tell...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let’s face it, no car, brand of car will always be perfect. But the few bad and negative reviews/experiences posted on this site over the past week or two are rather alarming, but I’m a little skeptical owners are having so much trouble after only a few hundreds miles.

Hyundai does rank like 4th out of every auto brand which is impressive. Time will tell...
I would not be dissuaded, it's a really nice car. Like I said, I would buy one if my car totally broke down and that says a lot since nothing in 16 years has convinced me to do so. My current car has never let me down. Still really fun to drive.

Keep in mind I am one of the few V6 Sonata owners on here. So, I come at it from that perspective. This is the first Sonata to outperform engine spec wise , my Sonata I drive daily.

I am a firm believer in buying stuff when you need it and get what you want. If you are happy with what you drive then there is "no need to replace it" . My suggestion, wait until something blows you away or you need it.

Keep in mind this is a new platform (like in 2006), those are always risky. I got lucky with mine. Good engine, zero problems .

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
84 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
84 Posts
Not sure what you would be skeptical of? Images of water on the inside, blue link warnings and collision warnings while the car is sitting in park running.
5A678786-0D0D-422F-8985-5D640D4219D1.png 02FC61FB-E685-475F-9695-32DA49922032.png 38DC05BD-D1A1-46AC-B2CA-5EBF4929F485.png

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure what you would be skeptical of? Images of water on the inside, blue link warnings and collision warnings while the car is sitting in park running.
View attachment 454710 View attachment 454711 View attachment 454712
Obviously the leaking rear window is just that. Warranty repair.

I wonder if there is something on the sensors, maybe a protective film or something? Maybe they didn't checklist it correctly? Of course we'd have to figure out where they are.

·
Registered
370 Posts
View attachment 454710 View attachment 454711 View attachment 454712
Only said that because every single N Line owner who posted issues hasn’t come back to report any updates. I don’t see any water, guess it’s hard to tell in the photo. It sucks to have any issues in a brand new car, but it can happen with any car. Hopefully the dealer gets it all fixed and you can enjoy the car. Be sure to keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts