Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2021 Santa Fe AWD Limited the other day and they no longer come with a spare tire. The SEL trim does and I was pretty surprised by this. I crawled under the car and there's still a decent sized area for a spare, but I'm guessing it's just a bit too small for the 19" wheels to fit. My wife has a 16" Santa Fe Limited with 19" wheels so I may try to see if there's a way I can squeeze her spare tire up there and devise a way to mound it. Has anybody figured out a way to carry a spare? I go back country camping a fair amount out in Montana and Wyoming each summer (no cell coverage) and would feel much more comfortable with a spare. I guess my other option would be to get run flat tires installed, and transfer my new tires onto my wifes car if the tire sizes are the same size, though that hardly seems like the best option.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,467 Posts
I picked up my 2021 Santa Fe AWD Limited the other day and they no longer come with a spare tire. The SEL trim does and I was pretty surprised by this. I crawled under the car and there's still a decent sized area for a spare, but I'm guessing it's just a bit too small for the 19" wheels to fit. My wife has a 16" Santa Fe Limited with 19" wheels so I may try to see if there's a way I can squeeze her spare tire up there and devise a way to mound it. Has anybody figured out a way to carry a spare? I go back country camping a fair amount out in Montana and Wyoming each summer (no cell coverage) and would feel much more comfortable with a spare. I guess my other option would be to get run flat tires installed, and transfer my new tires onto my wifes car if the tire sizes are the same size, though that hardly seems like the best option.
My '19 Ultimate has 19" wheels, and it comes with a donut spare. That underside space should not be too small for a spare for you 19" wheels unless Hyundai inexplicably spent $$ to change the under frame in the '21 refresh.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
361 Posts
I have a 2021 SF Limited. I purchased a spare donut, jack & iron. I took out the foam insert right behind the rear seat and put it there. A piece of 3/4" board across the tire supports the cover since the insert isn't there. there is still space left for other items. And you have the storage just inside the hatch. I did fasten the tire with a strap so it wouldn't go airborne. This is just another option for you.

Reactions: Penywisexx

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2021 SF Limited. I purchased a spare donut, jack & iron. I took out the foam insert right behind the rear seat and put it there. A piece of 3/4" board across the tire supports the cover since the insert isn't there. there is still space left for other items. And you have the storage just inside the hatch. I did fasten the tire with a strap so it wouldn't go airborne. This is just another option for you.
Thanks! I will look into that! I may have to steal my wife’s spare tire for long trips and stash it back there if incant figure out how to mount one under the car. It’d be a real shame if they removed it to save a few dollars on a $40k car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This has been covered before. a full size spare will fit.............
Do you know if there’s a guide to get the hardware retrofitted up there? I searched the forums and couldn’t find much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thread is on this forum...look!!!!
I searched the form (I said above that I searched) and I couldn't find it. I have since found it though (somebody was helpful enough to actually message me with the information). I have a 2016 Santa Fe as I've stated before so I'm familiar with how the mechanism works, I've had a few blow outs with that car which is why I'm anxious to get a spare under my new car as soon as possible. I'm taking it on a 3k Mile road trip next week. I'll be back in a few weeks, as soon as i get back I'lll get the parts ordered up for it.

Reactions: dwink

·
Registered
57 Posts

I searched the form (I said above that I searched) and I couldn't find it. I have since found it though (somebody was helpful enough to actually message me with the information). I have a 2016 Santa Fe as I've stated before so I'm familiar with how the mechanism works, I've had a few blow outs with that car which is why I'm anxious to get a spare under my new car as soon as possible. I'm taking it on a 3k Mile road trip next week. I'll be back in a few weeks, as soon as i get back I'lll get the parts ordered up for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those prices are insane, I'm ordering a different jack and lug nut wrench off amazon for less than $50, I'll wrap them up in some microfiber towels and stuff them in the large storage compartment in the back. The carrier assembly I've found from Kia Dealers for $150 doing a google search. I looked under my neighbors 21 Kia Sorento and it looks exactly the same as my 21 Santa Fe. As soon as I get back from my vacation I'm ordering the carrier assembly up and looking for a spare.

Reactions: tex2670

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I have a 2018 SF Sport Ultimate with about 29,000 miles. I was looking to get a 21 SF Calligraphy. Then I started checking the Specs and did not like the NO spare tire issue and also the 19 inch inch sub for the 20 inch advertised spec wheels. Some of the lower models apparently have donut spare tires, but the expensive Calligraphy has the sealant can which I have read will ruin the tire pressure sensor. Hyundai has also cheapened the headlights with the 20/21 models. My 18 has self leveling HID head lights and the 21 has Projector LED lamps. Quite a difference. I think I will keep my perfect condition 18 Ultimate. IMHO I also think the color choices are poor. I might change my mind later in the model year when better prices are to be had as I would have to buy the spare tire system.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
361 Posts
I have a 2018 SF Sport Ultimate with about 29,000 miles. I was looking to get a 21 SF Calligraphy. Then I started checking the Specs and did not like the NO spare tire issue and also the 19 inch inch sub for the 20 inch advertised spec wheels. Some of the lower models apparently have donut spare tires, but the expensive Calligraphy has the sealant can which I have read will ruin the tire pressure sensor. Hyundai has also cheapened the headlights with the 20/21 models. My 18 has self leveling HID head lights and the 21 has Projector LED lamps. Quite a difference. I think I will keep my perfect condition 18 Ultimate. IMHO I also think the color choices are poor. I might change my mind later in the model year when better prices are to be had as I would have to buy the spare tire system.
I looked at a 2021 SF Limited, FWD with a donut spare. Couldn't find a AWD with a spare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked at a 2021 SF Limited, FWD with a donut spare. Couldn't find a AWD with a spare.
None of the AWD Limited models have a spare, it's not even a dealer option. There's room for it up there, they just left it out for some reason. I've ordered all the parts and will be installing one next week. I never even realized it didn't have a spare until I had the car home (though it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me). The tire carrier/lift cost me about $150, a spare off of a 2020 Santa Fe was $100, and I bought a bottle jack and lug nut wrench off of amazon for about $40. I go camping a lot in the back country so I don't always have cell reception for roadside assistance and a tire mobility kit is useless for any sidewall damage that can occur on some of the roads I take. I may end up mounting a full size spare for my camping trips and keeping the donut spare for trips around town. I'll see how my full size tire fits on the carrier once I get it installed.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
50 Posts
None of the AWD Limited models have a spare, it's not even a dealer option. There's room for it up there, they just left it out for some reason. I've ordered all the parts and will be installing one next week. I never even realized it didn't have a spare until I had the car home (though it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me). The tire carrier/lift cost me about $150, a spare off of a 2020 Santa Fe was $100, and I bought a bottle jack and lug nut wrench off of amazon for about $40. I go camping a lot in the back country so I don't always have cell reception for roadside assistance and a tire mobility kit is useless for any sidewall damage that can occur on some of the roads I take. I may end up mounting a full size spare for my camping trips and keeping the donut spare for trips around town. I'll see how my full size tire fits on the carrier once I get it installed.
What part number did you use for the kia part?

·
Banned
66 Posts
Again, i have a 2021 calligraphy and i have a spare.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts