Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2021 Sonata Limited 4 days ago. It has been raining non-stop ever since including test drive and delivery day so I hadn't had an opportunity to go around it thoroughly until today. I found some glaring paint imperfections on the trunk lid bottom lip and hood. Also found the drivers side mirror camera looks like it was mangled during assembly. Anyone else found anything similar? I'm assuming all of this is covered under warranty of course....just don't like the idea of touch ups or resprays on a car with less than 300 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
238 Posts
Washed and ceramic coated my Quartz White N Line and haven't noticed any paint imperfections. I do have a rear bumper cover that doesn't fit seamlessly with the rear body panels and the trunk lid is not properly aligned. I called these defects to my dealer's attention and they indicated these items will be fixed under warranty by their body shop. The Hyundai Montgomery Alabama assembly plant is evidently sufferings from pandemic related personnel issues.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
when we picked up our car, it was also raining cats and dogs. about a week later, i notice a really nice ding on the outside of the a pillar, and later on, the left front jack point is bent, looks like it slipped on the lift. the car also had 70 miles on it, and there was some nav settings from a town about 15 miles from the dealer. i am sure that there will be lots more door dings and dents, so no big deal to us

·
Registered
75 Posts
That shouldn't be there.

I'm not sure about the DN8 Sonata, but if it's coming in from Korea, they'll be shipped in via boats, where accidents happen really frequently. Cars will frequently hit each other.

Other shipping companies can also damage the cars as well.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
962 Posts
That shouldn't be there.

I'm not sure about the DN8 Sonata, but if it's coming in from Korea, they'll be shipped in via boats, where accidents happen really frequently. Cars will frequently hit each other.

Other shipping companies can also damage the cars as well.
The US model Sonata is built in Alabama.

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
302 Posts
Just picked up my 2021 Sonata Limited 4 days ago. It has been raining non-stop ever since including test drive and delivery day so I hadn't had an opportunity to go around it thoroughly until today. I found some glaring paint imperfections on the trunk lid bottom lip and hood. Also found the drivers side mirror camera looks like it was mangled during assembly. Anyone else found anything similar? I'm assuming all of this is covered under warranty of course....just don't like the idea of touch ups or resprays on a car with less than 300 miles.
View attachment 460094 View attachment 460095 View attachment 460096 View attachment 460097
Check the corners of the front doors from underneath and all panels. Or before you do run your fingers down the edges of all panels and most corners are trashed like that. Two front corners near the front fender and a corner on the hood , plus fender bolts not fully torqued and half out. Good luck.

they pulled the same **** on our sonata. The two black bolts on either side of the trunk lid was re-torqued and the edge of the area was chipped on either side. Almost as if the person who was torquing the bolts banged the ratchet and chipped the paint on the trunk edge. They didn’t even use the same color touch up color 😂 bunch of lamers.

Of course they will repair all your damage. After all Hyundai has the best warranty. 🤣 Did we get our items repaired ? No. Why you ask? Because there is a strong possibility that the vehicle will be in worst shape than before. I got a free color touch up paint from the dealer and went over the factory incorrect color myself. The rest of the issues we'll live with. So much for our first Hyundai new car experience. But they have the best warranty 🤣🤣🤣

Now there’s a recall for the 2.5T fuel line connections not being torqued. Am I surprised? No., not after what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If and when I take delivery of this thing, part of the sale will be an inspection on the lift, in addition to checking for damages, I will be checking for leaks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
About a month or so after ownership Hyundai will send you a survey. At bare min be sure to use that survey and let them know of these issues. So at least they can perhaps address it moving forward, so other customers don’t get effected. Did mine today .

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine was built in Asan, Korea.
Wow... I did not know that US Sonatas could also come out of South Korea. That's a very interesting find. Would be interesting to know which ones show more quality issues.

People who frequent this forum before buying might want to check the window stickers for the assembly plant...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now that I think about it, I wonder if this was because the Alabama plant was closed for a while because of COVID and Hyundai needed to get cars to market somehow.
That and I think that the Sonata isn't selling as well in Korea so they used the excess capacity to build models for export. I am only saying this because there was an article a few months back that mentioned that the Sonata would be dropped in Korea very soon, likely replaced primarily by the Ioniq EV series cars. I believe sales were about 25% of what they used to be for the Sonata compared to just a few years ago. Can't find the article now so please don't roast me to bad if this is inaccurate.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That and I think that the Sonata isn't selling as well in Korea so they used the excess capacity to build models for export. I am only saying this because there was an article a few months back that mentioned that the Sonata would be dropped in Korea very soon, likely replaced primarily by the Ioniq EV series cars. I believe sales were about 25% of what they used to be for the Sonata compared to just a few years ago. Can't find the article now so please don't roast me to bad if this is inaccurate.
Yeah I remember that article. That's also a good point.

Still though, converting a production line to a different country spec requires a big enough number of units to justify the cost, particularly since they have to ship them halfway around the world. That's why I think COVID closures in Alabama played a part in it.

It'll be interesting to see if other people get US-spec Sonatas from South Korea in future.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited 1.6T
22 Posts
My local dealer has several Sonata's on their lot. Some are Korea and some are Alabama.

So far, three weeks now, I have not found a defect anywhere.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My local dealer has several Sonata's on their lot. Some are Korea and some are Alabama.

So far, three weeks now, I have not found a defect anywhere.
Also bear in mind. My wife would detail her N line and also not see any defects. Yet I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 hybrid Ltd from Korea. Dealer just replaced front door seals for wind whistle. Much quieter now. Still not “Lexus” quiet, but much quieter. Otherwise, car is perfect. Fit, finish, quality, paint, all perfect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts