Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently drive a 2021 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Blue which I owned since approximately May 2021. Recently I have been having random throttle related issues with the car. while driving, I will push my foot down on the accelerator, but the car will not move forward. my vehicle is recognizing the throttle input as the rev limiter is almost completely maxed out, but as you can tell on the speedometer my vehicle is not moving and actually slows down. This occurred on the freeway and ended up holding traffic for several seconds as my vehicle refused to move even with throttle input.

The vehicle now also does the opposite of the above where the vehicle will randomly accelerate forward with no input on the throttle. The vehicle continues to accelerate forward until I am forced to manually push on the brake. Numerous times this has almost caused me to get into a collision in front of me when no input on the accelerator is being applied.

I've gone to multiple Hyundai dealerships to check on this matter, and all of them have stated that they could not find any issues in regards to this. I've reached out to Hyundai corporate in regards to this matter, but they keep telling me to go back to my Hyundai dealership to resolve this issue. However at this point im getting desperate as I am being forced to go back to dealerships to find a fix for this, but they continue to state that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. The only resolution Hyundai corporate has offered is they will cover my rental vehicle costs ONLY if they find a problem with a vehicle. My issue now is that why would I risk paying for a rental vehicle and expect Hyundai not to assist with payments as they are unable to locate and resolve these issues to begin with?

I'm reaching out to this subreddit as I am worried that these issues will ultimately cause me to get into an accident sooner or later, and I've tried everything I can to get help, and everyone continues to provide any solution. I love my car but I just want it to work... any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is happening to others including me. I have a 2021 Elantra Hybrid - this has happened on three separate occassions. The car definitely enters a malfunctioning "failure mode" - accelerating on own without input - failing to accelerate despite revving engine - hard gear changes. No engine codes and techs cannot replicate. Hyundai says take it to dealership, dealership shrugs.

Seems colder weather can cause this (0-10 degrees C)

Also seems to be triggered by slowing down and then accelerating slightly - occurred twice in round abouts for me and once due to a very slow truck in front, causing me to brake and then accelerate slightly causing a transmission "thunk" and failure mode to begin.

Try not "creeping" and only accelerating when there is enough room to rev up - feathering the throttle seems to put it in failure mode.

Hopefully they will:
a) Acknowledge they have a significant problem
b) Provide a solution
c) cover repair costs should it fail after warranty

A lawsuit may be the only other option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts