Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See here. Looks dramatically different.
Full reveal next week. Cars should start arriving to deealers Aug/Sept timeframe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can't wait to see the real thing, especially the N-Line variant. The design is intriguing and interior minimalistic, ultra modern and light. It would be nice to see a mild hybrid making it to North America (but this would most likely be a no).

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Seeing Hyundai commercials on the Sonata parallel parking itself or even squeezing between two closely parked cars. Wonder if the owners of those parked cars will bang their doors into your brand new Sonata trying to get in.

It can also pull away from a meter maid so you don't get a parking ticket.

Wonder if I can tell my Sonata if I get one to pick up my wife for me or go to the gas station and fill up its tank. Or give itself a bath and change its own oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wonder if I can tell my Sonata if I get one to pick up my wife for me or go to the gas station and fill up its tank. Or give itself a bath and change its own oil.
Considering how quickly the technology is evolving, the next generation Sonata might be able to do that. Electric cars/plug-in hybrids already do tell the owner it is time to think about charging and will point the nearest charging station.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be nice to see a mild hybrid making it to North America (but this would most likely be a no).
You are correct. Hyundai has decided that hybrids are a no go going forward and will be transitioning to all electric directly. They have many all electric vehicles in the pipeline some with dedicated EV platforms (not simply existing gasoline engine chassis modified for battery use both in their Hyundai/Kia and also Genesis nameplates. This is of interest to me as my wife wants to replace her 2017 Elantra with an all EV SUV. Sadly no vehicles meet her standards as of this time but this will be changing quickly and drastically by next year

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
240 Posts
I remain somewhat skeptical, but so far I'm liking the preview and I'm liking the expansion of the N brand. Especially with a Full-N Elantra.

I'm still surprised they haven't brought the Tucson N-Line trim to the North American market yet, as it's an SUV and all... but in other markets, the Tucson N-Line is only an appearance package. And they probably want to make sure not to dilute the sub-brand as it barely gets off the ground. Plus they yanked the 1.6T/DCT out of it for 2019 MY refresh, and I can't see them putting it back in before a generational model change introduces at the very least, the Smartstream 1.6T and wet 8-DCT

I still have a sinking feeling that the Elantra GT is on it's last model year here. Especially considering they chose the Veloster as the first N car in N.A. and stated that the EGT (i30) N wasn't happening (plus none of the reported engines really match up to NA market taste, and none of them have more than appx 160HP power output). They COULD change their mind. But. I still maintain the stance of "what's the point of an Elantra GT N, when the Kona N is all but confirmed to be happening".

The Kona is the USA's Hyundai compact hatchback. The i30 is Europe's.

But I'm getting slightly off topic. I think the Sonata N-Line is awesome, and an Elantra N is awesome, and I would strongly consider them if I was in the market for a sporty FWD vehicle. But as it stands, I want to go back to RWD so when the N-Line lease is up, I'll be picking up a Stinger.

And when I say that, I also say "read between the lines": they need to, at the very least, program the e-Diff into all of these cars, at MINIMUM, and ideally they'd given them an actual Helical LSD. The Veloster's e-Diff helps avoid the one-wheel-peels my N-Line does.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Plus they yanked the 1.6T/DCT out of it for 2019 MY refresh
For North America only - DCT continues to be available for virtually every model sold elsewhere in the world - interestingly only NA gets CVT gearbox.
Hyundai has decided that hybrids are a no go going forward
Where did you get that impression from? Both i20 and i30, for example, will be available as a mild hybrid.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For North America only - DCT continues to be available for virtually every model sold elsewhere in the world - interestingly only NA gets CVT gearbox.
Right, and that's what I was talking about - the current Tucson N-Line is available in the rest of the world, as a trim-only package. If they brought it here, as I understand that they intend(ed) to, and aligned it with the idea that in N.A. N-Line means more than just cosmetic changes... then they'd have to at the very least put the 1.6T 7DCT BACK into the same vehicle they just yanked it out of barely 2 years prior. But they aren't likely going to give it an updated or different powertrain after it already had it's mid-cycle refresh, and the 2021 Tucson mule has been running around, so most likely we will get the Tucson N-Line when the new model comes out in a year or two. Except I haven't heard any updates on a N.A. Tucson N/N-Line in quite a while. For all we know, they shelved it for the Kona N instead, or they are pushing it back until after the new model for '21-'22.

So, you're tracking the right direction but I was speaking SPECIFICALLY about the Tucson in the N.A. market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did any of you see the drop of the 2021 Elantra yesterday? Styling isn't too bad, somewhat looks like it's following the Sonata concept, more angular with the H taillight design. I'm not sure how I feel about the two displays (gauge cluster and infotainment) behind one glass panel. I do think it looks a bit better than the last design for 2020, but I think the UD with its fluidity design might be my favorite. I've included images below:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not updating the engine line up (if true) is disappointing. Falling farther behind the competition there, IMHO.
I'm still amazed at the highway mileage i can get on my 2018 Elantra Value Edition. I can easily get 50 mpg when the temperature is above 50F. And I've even gotten in the upper 50's when I've kept the speed limit under 60 mph.
Of course when it's cold though, I'm only getting around 41 mpg. And these are actual miles per gallon, not the trip computer calculated. SInce the computer calculated mpg, on my Elantra, is off on average 7%.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am usually a hatch back kind of guy, but the 2021 elantra hybrid with a DCT is intriguing and merits a look on my part. Looking forward to more specs and info (and pricing)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Its got that hideous Sonata front catfish grill. The rest looks good. I see they went with the KIA style steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I'm still amazed at the highway mileage i can get on my 2018 Elantra Value Edition. I can easily get 50 mpg when the temperature is above 50F. And I've even gotten in the upper 50's when I've kept the speed limit under 60 mph.
Of course when it's cold though, I'm only getting around 41 mpg. And these are actual miles per gallon, not the trip computer calculated. SInce the computer calculated mpg, on my Elantra, is off on average 7%.
If you live in the northern part of the USA, summer time getting summer gas, an honest 120,000 BTU's of energy per US gallon.

But because emission control devices only work when exhaust system is at operating temperature, and at 0*F may take an extra minute to warm up getting winter gas, butane and other chemicals are added, but only getting as low as 90,000 BTU's per US gallon. That's about 75% and your fuel mileage mpg will drop about that accordingly.

When making even a hundred mile or even a thousand mile trip, exhaust system is at operating temperature so getting fuel economy.

Living up north in Wisconsin, not quite so crowded, we were getting summer gas, the good stuff all year long, so fuel economy remained the same. But the crooked politicians change that around 15 years ago.

Crooks kept on saying we are running out of crude oil, with Obama crook, paying as much as 5 bucks per gallon, this new guy changed all that and instead of importing fuel from crooked countries, exporting it now. Often made the comment with all the education you need to become an engineer, never had a course on political energy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I want one 😀. I really like that they've made many advanced safety features standard.

"The 2021 Hyundai Elantra will come standard with several safety features like forward-collision avoidance assist, lane-keep assist, lane following assist (to stay in the center of the lane), high-beam assist and driver attention warning."

Also:

"Optionally available are things like blind spot collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control and reverse parking collision avoidance assist."

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's going to be a tough decision, if I decide to remain in the market for FWD. A handsome car like this, and an upcoming N model. A Kona N is more utilitarian, but, Elantra has some looks.... and an N... well....

I like the Veloster, but just slightly too impractical and small, despite not having kids or dogs.

I still hold out hope that they'll surprise us with an AWD option (especially on the Kona, which is already set up for it), but...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts