Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2021 elantra hybrid prefered in may 22 with trade in 2017 bmw x3 for uber/lyft. Satisfied with fuel savings and the features but just week later vehicle started stalling at the intersection or stop sign when I tried to make a left turn after full stop. Vehicle got in for service in may 29 but dealer didn't know how to fix so escalated isuue to hyundai canada high tech team. It took more than week to verify what caused stalling - engine clutch actuator. They said part was ordered but need some waiting to get it. Now it has been almost 2 months and they still don't have the ETA for the part.

I am wondering if anyone had same issue of hybrid engine stalling. Also any advice will be appreciated what I can do for my vehicle driven only a week that just sit at dealership yard for 2 months and my lost income at least C$10K.

·
Registered
2021 Elantra Hybrid
24 Posts
Has the Dealer or Hyundai been pretty good throughout this process?

If you feel like you have no other options through the Dealer and/or Hyundai, then you go get a lawyer involved and/or try something like CAMVAP - Home .....this is sorta equivalent to lemon laws but for Canada (its not really Lemon Law... its a third party arbitration system).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased 2021 elantra hybrid prefered in may 22 with trade in 2017 bmw x3 for uber/lyft. Satisfied with fuel savings and the features but just week later vehicle started stalling at the intersection or stop sign when I tried to make a left turn after full stop. Vehicle got in for service in may 29 but dealer didn't know how to fix so escalated isuue to hyundai canada high tech team. It took more than week to verify what caused stalling - engine clutch actuator. They said part was ordered but need some waiting to get it. Now it has been almost 2 months and they still don't have the ETA for the part.

I am wondering if anyone had same issue of hybrid engine stalling. Also any advice will be appreciated what I can do for my vehicle driven only a week that just sit at dealership yard for 2 months and my lost income at least C$10K.
I had my 2021 Elantra Hybrid stall out on me today, I drove a short distance at high speeds and as I was slowing down for a roundabout it jerked forward as it was down shifting and I was braking. When I wanted to move forward it didn't move, it revved and then finally went. It did this again a short time later but then I was able to park my car and turn it off. It seems to be ok again but I will have them take a look at it soon.

Thank you for sharing this information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my 2021 Elantra Hybrid stall out on me today, I drove a short distance at high speeds and as I was slowing down for a roundabout it jerked forward as it was down shifting and I was braking. When I wanted to move forward it didn't move, it revved and then finally went. It did this again a short time later but then I was able to park my car and turn it off. It seems to be ok again but I will have them take a look at it soon.

Thank you for sharing this information.
Any update on your car? My Elantra Hybrid just did this to me other day. Took it the dealer and since they weren’t able to replicate it they couldn’t do anything about it and to bring it back if happens again. Don’t feel like my car is safe to drive at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve had it happen to me twice now. The issue with the car itself and the fact the dealer can’t do anything about it is pretty annoying. It’s only got 10k miles on it and I’m already looking to get rid of it.
It has not happened to me again since but it's at the back of my mind. It could well cause an accident if at a bad time... I make sure I have a lot of space to make turns. So unfortunate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only thing I can think of is car not restarting after entering ISG mode. I saw report on Sonata & Palisade but nothing much on Elantra yet.
I don't think so, for me the engine was quite clearly revving. That is what is scary, revving and no forward movement. Hasn't happened since the original incident but was like the transmission got into a funk and something wasn't working on a physical level - but of course software controls things but not sure where the issue is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you mean idle stop and go, hybrid dont have that. and, hybrid and nline have dct, not ivt. actually, i think no elantra has that.
SE has ISG and Hybrid is using ISG parts to switch between EV and non-EV mode. It's not labelled as ISG because logic is different than ISG (engine start/stop is not tied to whether car is in motion) . However it doesn't sound like OP's problem is related as OP states engine is revving. It sounds like either battery management software revving engine or transmission not engaging. I'd check Ioniq forum and see if there are any clues.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
SE has ISG and Hybrid is using ISG parts to switch between EV and non-EV mode. It's not labelled as ISG because logic is different than ISG (engine start/stop is not tied to whether car is in motion) . However it doesn't sound like OP's problem is related as OP states engine is revving. It sounds like either battery management software revving engine or transmission not engaging. I'd check Ioniq forum and see if there are any clues.
yo, he said HYBRID. not se. and using isg parts is really a looong reach

1 - 20 of 44 Posts