Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why are the 20" wheels so important to you (and apparently many others in these forums)? I think my 2019 Ultimate has 18" wheels and they ride and look just fine to me. Is it mostly for the looks or is there some other advantage? Not trolling, genuinely curious.
I've got a new Calligraphy with 20“ rims. I do like the look, but having had plenty of SUVs I honestly think 18s ride the best. I wouldn't have been disappointed if the Calig came with 18s or 19s.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
964 Posts
The subject of deceptive, or at best, misleading quotes is a complicated one.
And sadly, what turn out to be "too good to be true" quotes are out there.
The worst I've seen are:
One Pennsylvania Kia dealership ads read that they will give you $4000 more for your trade in. Only to find out the dealer added nonsense to the sticker like pinstripes, free loaner cars, security etching, etc. that total $5000+.
Kia dealerships in and around Maryland and Virginia will list what appears to be a real good selling price. Then you find out they add a separate (from the one on the sticker) destination charge of $900-1100, excessive processing fees, etc. often adding $3000-4000 more to the advertised price.
I wrote that in my own experience I have had legitimate offers (over several years and multiple brands) up to $2000 less from one dealer compared to another within a 1-1.5 hour drive. Legitimate quotes that were "unbelievable" to other dealerships.
Another example...In 2018, I got a much better lease deal AND much more on a trade in.
So it is absolutely possible to get a better deal.
Persistence, timing, luck and patience play a role.
Yeah - but those are ads. Look at the fine print of any car ad with some great price, and it will say that the price includes "cash or trade", meaning they are stating a price after deducting your down payment, which is ..... [checks notes] part of the price.

But if I sit down, face to face, with a salesman, and he writes my "price" on a piece of paper, I expect it to actually be the price. Silly me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just prefer dealers that don't play games. One dealer was a fixed price dealer. What you see is what you get. I'm ok with an up-front dealer because I know what I'm getting.

Another dealer, their first written quote used those generic pre-fabricated forms (table showing 5/6/7 year payment along with down payment). They use this to "hide" what the actual price of car is. It just muddies the water and definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. These are tactics from 1997, shouldn't be used today.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I just prefer dealers that don't play games. One dealer was a fixed price dealer. What you see is what you get. I'm ok with an up-front dealer because I know what I'm getting.
Yeah well the last time I spoke to a "no-haggle" dealer when I was car shopping, their "no-haggle" price was the highest of the opening quote I got out of 10 dealers. They don't "play games"; they just appeal to many customers who don't like the negotiation process and want to "feel" like they got a good deal; and they make out like bandits doing it.

Another dealer, their first written quote used those generic pre-fabricated forms (table showing 5/6/7 year payment along with down payment). They use this to "hide" what the actual price of car is. It just muddies the water and definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. These are tactics from 1997, shouldn't be used today.
Dealers do it because it works, and because so many people are shopping for a monthly payment, rather than an overall price. It's like the Nigerian Prince email scam; it doesn't go away because people still fall for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah - but those are ads. Look at the fine print of any car ad with some great price, and it will say that the price includes "cash or trade", meaning they are stating a price after deducting your down payment, which is ..... [checks notes] part of the price.

But if I sit down, face to face, with a salesman, and he writes my "price" on a piece of paper, I expect it to actually be the price. Silly me.
The examples i experienced were not about a great advertised price that factors in/subtracts a trade in (in the fine print).
Although that is another way of getting a buyer's attention and possibly drawing them into the showroom where they can become prey.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
68 Posts
Just use a USAA, Costco, Sam's, credit union, etc. buying service. While it may not be the best price if you're a great haggler, you'll have a preset price, the dealer is required to show you the buying service cost detail for that vehicle. My Costco deal in February on a new 2021 SF Calligraphy was a $2,636 MSRP discount plus the Hyundai $500 military rebate. Then, Costco sent me an email that was good for a 50% discount, up to a maximum of $200 savings, on parts, service, or accessories at the dealership. However, this Costco discount might be time, location, or dealer-limited.

If the dealer doesn't honor the buying service deal, there's usually a customer service number that you can call. I imagine the dealer will then honor the deal or get dropped from the buying service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just use a USAA, Costco, Sam's, credit union, etc. buying service. While it may not be the best price if you're a great haggler, you'll have a preset price, the dealer is required to show you the buying service cost detail for that vehicle. My Costco deal in February on a new 2021 SF Calligraphy was a $2,636 MSRP discount plus the Hyundai $500 military rebate. Then, Costco sent me an email that was good for a 50% discount, up to a maximum of $200 savings, on parts, service, or accessories at the dealership. However, this Costco discount might be time, location, or dealer-limited.

If the dealer doesn't honor the buying service deal, there's usually a customer service number that you can call. I imagine the dealer will then honor the deal or get dropped from the buying service.
When I tried Costco, the response I got was "we have not located a dealership in your area that has met our strict pricing criteria for the manufacturer you selected." Truecar works though.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe SEL Premium / Convenience / Cargo going to 2021 Caligraphy
72 Posts

Costco varies by state and time. Right now, there is no Costco discount or fixed price in the Ohio area for Cali's or Limited's. When I got my SEL a few months ago, there was a $1000 Costco discount on the SEL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally found the car I have been waiting for (Calligraphy, 20" wheels, beige interior) at a dealer. It's not a dealer close to me. I sent them a message that I'm interested in the car. They said their "lowest" price is $1,000 over MSRP. I told them I would pay MSRP and they declined. They said it's purely supply & demand. What do you think?
I just scored a limited for 250 under invoice. The first dealer I went too wanted to sell at MSRP giving me the BS about cars being tight and such. Which they are. But they also had very little competition. So I found a dealer closer to me that has comp and they dropped to invoice then I pushed harder and got 250 under.

I would find a new dealer. maybe one in a bigger area with comp. BTW the car we bought arrived at the dealer on Saturday and we made a deal on that Monday. Just picked it up Thursday as they still had to do a few things to it. it was that new. Calligraphy did not have enough upgrades to warrant the cost increase. IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just scored a limited for 250 under invoice. The first dealer I went too wanted to sell at MSRP giving me the BS about cars being tight and such. Which they are. But they also had very little competition. So I found a dealer closer to me that has comp and they dropped to invoice then I pushed harder and got 250 under.

I would find a new dealer. maybe one in a bigger area with comp. BTW the car we bought arrived at the dealer on Saturday and we made a deal on that Monday. Just picked it up Thursday as they still had to do a few things to it. it was that new. Calligraphy did not have enough upgrades to warrant the cost increase. IMO.
I'll have to save this post and bring it with my when my new Limited comes in!
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's not gonna help you at all.
It will when I demand to see their invoice.

Or, does anyone know if there are sites that can show me dealer invoice using the VIN?

Doing my homework. I like the dealer, but my money is mine, until I decide to give it away.
I may want to try to throw in labor to install the side steps, I'll get them myself so I know they are not over-charging for them but just to install, I'll look like a confused dog and move my head back and forth! LOL

·
Registered
964 Posts
It will when I demand to see their invoice.

Or, does anyone know if there are sites that can show me dealer invoice using the VIN?

Doing my homework. I like the dealer, but my money is mine, until I decide to give it away.
I may want to try to throw in labor to install the side steps, I'll get them myself so I know they are not over-charging for them but just to install, I'll look like a confused dog and move my head back and forth! LOL
Doing your homework will help you at the dealer. Showing them an Internet forum will not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Doing your homework will help you at the dealer. Showing them an Internet forum will not.
I got mine in late April. The Calligraphy with the 20’s were still a bit scarce. As a former salesman I’m used to buying at invoice. This time the dealer wasn’t as flexible but it was below MSRP, plus there was a rebate. They told me to get a quote on my trade from both CarMax and Carvana. I was able to get both by entering my plate number and answering a few questions about mileage and condition. CarMax was higher by a few hundred, the dealer matched their offer plus I picked up a few hundred more because of the sales tax advantage of trading. The kicker was that with the used market being so hot, I got about $4K more than I was quoted back in January, so it’s more than a wash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, I'll have both my CarMax, Carvana and Voom quotes all available. Of course, I'll only show them the highest. I'm also going to used the Consumer Reports Used Cars for Sale feature that lists all the used 2021 and 2020's within 150 miles and what they are actually listed for at the dealers. I think that if I come under 1.5-2K for my trade in 2021 SEL with 450 miles and there is a dealer just 50 miles away that is selling the same trim that I have for X, I should at least be able to get X-2 or X-2.5 as a trade, as I know what other dealers are selling them for.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, I'll have both my CarMax, Carvana and Voom quotes all available. Of course, I'll only show them the highest. I'm also going to used the Consumer Reports Used Cars for Sale feature that lists all the used 2021 and 2020's within 150 miles and what they are actually listed for at the dealers. I think that if I come under 1.5-2K for my trade in 2021 SEL with 450 miles and there is a dealer just 50 miles away that is selling the same trim that I have for X, I should at least be able to get X-2 or X-2.5 as a trade, as I know what other dealers are selling them for.
Yeah your situation is unique because you’re trading a “new” vehicle that they’ll have to sell as used because it’s been titled. Those can be a bit harder to sell as buyers are skeptical as to why it’s been traded, assuming that it’s a lemon or has some problems. The dealer will have to discount it accordingly to some extent. Hopefully you can get it worked out without getting hurt too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally found the car I have been waiting for (Calligraphy, 20" wheels, beige interior) at a dealer. It's not a dealer close to me. I sent them a message that I'm interested in the car. They said their "lowest" price is $1,000 over MSRP. I told them I would pay MSRP and they declined. They said it's purely supply & demand. What do you think?
Well actually they are right about the S&D. The Calligraphy models seem far and few between. They only had one here in Savannah back in April when I bought my Limited and I passed on it because I think the Red color scheme looks horrendous on the Santa Fe. That's just my opinion. Happy I did and saved the extra few thousand and I can put 20 inch wheels on it if I want with no mods. But I won't, she rides plenty smooth as is with 19's. 20 in, wheels will magnify road vibrations much more.
Bottom line is, if you want that particular model in that color scheme, consider grabbing it now. Other option is to wait until you can get a better deal and hope it's available. This COVID stuff has dealers getting what they demand it seems.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Calligraphies are pretty hard to come by here in VA and the dealers are not in a negotiating mood. I got 2k off MSRP and a solid trade-in, which I would have laughed at any time before Covid, but not anymore. I took it and am happy with the deal. SE and SELs are in stock, Ltds are out there but not in huge supply and very limited color options and such, Calligraphies and hybrids are like unicorns right now. Couple of dealers told me it was going to be like this for a long time, one told me that after he told me there was no way he could get me a Callig so he was wishing me well and there was no way we were going to be doing business, so it wasn't part of some sales technique. He said the inventory crunch would likely be at least another year.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts