Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to move from my truck to an SUV for more interior cabin space. The only Calligraphy's near me (San Antonio) were 19" wheels. An hour away (Kyle), they had two with 20". Two hours away (Round Rock), they had 5. Did the whole "Make a deal online" to pay MSRP at the dealer in Round Rock since they had more color options and drove up. First numbers they presented us (despite knowing exactly what they presented me in the online deal) was $6000 over MSRP. Told them what I thought of them and their practices of offering one thing in an online deal and changing it when I arrived and walked out.

Did a deal online for the same exact thing at the dealer that was only one hour away (and where I should have gone first) and drove back up a couple days later to pick it up at MSRP.

Looking now, the dealer that had 5 now has 2, so maybe they're getting a lot of people to pay over MSRP? Or maybe they'd have no Calligraphy's left if they stopped trying to mark them up. They have 38 SF's right now, so they are sitting on a surprising amount of inventory compared to other dealers...maybe they'd rather sit on vehicles and hope to sell it way over MSRP to those who are desperate versus selling at MSRP to casual buyers like myself. Who knows - but it's definitely a personal thing. I didn't NEED to get away from my truck, but since used prices are way up (and it's a truck in Texas, so high demand) - it was a good opportunity. If I couldn't find a dealer that would stick to MSRP I would've just kept my truck, but to each their own!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
945 Posts
So I know that I will be taking the depreciation hit on it but they are trying to low ball me on the trade in value. I have all the Edmunds documentation on what the real trade in should be and am prepared to walk away if they don't do better.
Go to CarMax 1st and get a quote from them. The dealer won't give a rat's a$$ about Edmonds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wanted to move from my truck to an SUV for more interior cabin space. The only Calligraphy's near me (San Antonio) were 19" wheels. An hour away (Kyle), they had two with 20". Two hours away (Round Rock), they had 5.
Why are the 20" wheels so important to you (and apparently many others in these forums)? I think my 2019 Ultimate has 18" wheels and they ride and look just fine to me. Is it mostly for the looks or is there some other advantage? Not trolling, genuinely curious.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Why are the 20" wheels so important to you (and apparently many others in these forums)? I think my 2019 Ultimate has 18" wheels and they ride and look just fine to me. Is it mostly for the looks or is there some other advantage? Not trolling, genuinely curious.
Many people like the style of the 20" wheels better than the 19" wheels from what I've seen here. I have a 19 Ultimate 2.0T, and I don't care as much about the wheel size, but I think the 19" wheels look much better than the 18"s; it's personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my short test drives, I think the drive difference between the two is minimal (19" maybe a little smoother, 20" maybe a little sportier) - but I personally prefer the design of the 20". If only 19's were available I would've been happy with that, but at least around here, on that day, the 19's were hard to come by and the dealer that had them was listing the vehicle at dealer price which I had come to learn around here usually meant they were starting above MSRP (again, that's why the first dealer I went to is trash - other dealers are selling over MSRP but making it obvious on their website - not saying one thing and changing it up when you show up).

So in the end it worked out based on my personal style preference, and what was available to me that day at MSRP.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
68 Posts
You are correct, they are sold before they arrive. I'm waiting on a new Candy Apple Red Limited which is on a delivery truck, according to the dealer, and trading in my new 2021 Blue SEL just to get all the Limited features like the blind spot dash turn signal cameras, pedestrian detection and braking, etc. My current SEL has 300 (yes 300) total miles on it and I've only had it for one month.

So I know that I will be taking the depreciation hit on it but they are trying to low ball me on the trade in value. I have all the Edmunds documentation on what the real trade in should be and am prepared to walk away if they don't do better. But my current is financed at 4.9% and if the new one comes in this month, Hyundai has the 1.9% deal going plus they are selling the Limited to me (as this will be the 3rd car in one year I bought from them, yes, I love toys) at MSRP and not jacking it up.
And, don't forget that you're complaining about your new Limited not having a spare tire... LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
And, don't forget that you're complaining about your new Limited not having a spare tire... LOL
You got it! He did tell me that it did come with a spare, and only the Cali didn't have one, then I got home and looked at the sticker (they even have the VIN available) and it say's roadside mobility kit.

Cha ching!
:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is actually a little bit of physics involved here, Not even getting into the diameter and curcumference, the larger wheels have a smaller side wall cross section, which translates to not only the tire rolling a little slower and growling less, but also has less sway/give and also doesn't have the surface area to translate and transmit the road noise and sound into the cabin.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks, I may do that. Do you drive to them or do it online?
[/QUOTE]
90% can be done on the internet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks, I may do that. Do you drive to them or do it online?
[/QUOTE]

I just tried it, I entered my VIN and immediately it said that they want to talk to me and schedule an appointment. That my car with 300 miles on it is 'pretty rare' the actual response above the schedule now button is below.

For shits and giggles I entered my wife's 2018 Explorer VIN and it continued to ask more questions, condition, miles, etc.

So I guess that a one month old car with 300 miles is something they have to see to believe. Go figure.

We'd like to see your Hyundai Santa Fe
Your car is pretty rare, and our online offers are based on recent appraisals of similar cars. For your 7-day offer, stop by your local CarMax.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just tried it, I entered my VIN and immediately it said that they want to talk to me and schedule an appointment. That my car with 300 miles on it is 'pretty rare' the actual response above the schedule now button is below.

For shits and giggles I entered my wife's 2018 Explorer VIN and it continued to ask more questions, condition, miles, etc.

So I guess that a one month old car with 300 miles is something they have to see to believe. Go figure.

We'd like to see your Hyundai Santa Fe
Your car is pretty rare, and our online offers are based on recent appraisals of similar cars. For your 7-day offer, stop by your local CarMax.
[/QUOTE]
You might try Carvana

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the insights on wheel size. I looked at the website for the 2021 Santa Fe and agree with the people that don’t particularly like the design of the 19” wheels for this model year. To me, the 18” and the 20” wheels look better. OTOH the 19” wheels are ripe for the starfish treatment like this:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everyone is right. The dealer price is a combination of supply/demand/geography/dealer volume/dealer greed. I include dealer greed because there can be (I've experienced it first hand) dealers within only a one hour drive that have significant different selling prices. I wanted a Calli with 20" wheels (none within about 100 miles) and was willing to wait a month or two. But I kept checking on Cars.com and at the end of April, I happened to come across a dealer 1.5 hours away. I emailed the dealer, they sent me a very good price and we got the deal done the same day.
A good price is out there but it might come down to timing, luck and patience.
btw, I've bought or leased cars from several brands over the years at numbers that other local dealers told me "just can't be a real offer". Sales people have absolutely no clue about competing dealers prices because they only know what management tells them.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A good price is out there but it might come down to timing, luck and patience.
btw, I've bought or leased cars from several brands over the years at numbers that other local dealers told me "just can't be a real offer". Sales people have absolutely no clue about competing dealers prices because they only know what management tells them.
Good luck in your search.
Yes but sometimes those sales people are right when they say the offer can't be real.

I had an on-line quote from a Mazda dealer for a CX-9. I configured it exactly how I wanted it; I went into the dealer for a test drive; and then I sat with him at his desk, and had the "dealer price" in his handwriting on my quote sheet.

I called around other dealers, and had one of them tell me "Give us a call back when that price turns out not to be real." I thought "What's he talking about?"

I called my salesman back, and said I'm ready to buy. Suddenly my price quote - in his handwriting - was not the price, and it jumped by $1,000. "How can that be?" "Oh, well THAT price includes ALL incentives and rebates; and you don't qualify for military/loyalty/whatever; so I can't give you that price." The manager wasn't much more help, and I purchased somewhere else..

·
Registered
24 Posts
The subject of deceptive, or at best, misleading quotes is a complicated one.
And sadly, what turn out to be "too good to be true" quotes are out there.
The worst I've seen are:
One Pennsylvania Kia dealership ads read that they will give you $4000 more for your trade in. Only to find out the dealer added nonsense to the sticker like pinstripes, free loaner cars, security etching, etc. that total $5000+.
Kia dealerships in and around Maryland and Virginia will list what appears to be a real good selling price. Then you find out they add a separate (from the one on the sticker) destination charge of $900-1100, excessive processing fees, etc. often adding $3000-4000 more to the advertised price.
I wrote that in my own experience I have had legitimate offers (over several years and multiple brands) up to $2000 less from one dealer compared to another within a 1-1.5 hour drive. Legitimate quotes that were "unbelievable" to other dealerships.
Another example...In 2018, I got a much better lease deal AND much more on a trade in.
So it is absolutely possible to get a better deal.
Persistence, timing, luck and patience play a role.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Honestly I enjoyed the interaction with the dealer that I purchased my car from.

Upfront - deal with one person from start to finish. No shuffling off to finance manager.

Salesman gave me exact numbers over text. I compared to my own car payment calculator so payments matched.

No dealer handling fee. Essentially the only added expenses was a $40 admin fee and all the legal TTL stuff.

Of course price was non-negotiable so I paid MSRP. Trade-in was fair market value.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts