Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found the car I have been waiting for (Calligraphy, 20" wheels, beige interior) at a dealer. It's not a dealer close to me. I sent them a message that I'm interested in the car. They said their "lowest" price is $1,000 over MSRP. I told them I would pay MSRP and they declined. They said it's purely supply & demand. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
years ago when the mazda miata came out, it was the same. they were going for over msrp, and it was for quite some time. chip shortage dont help, either. on another note, homes here in texas are going for 100k over asking price, some homes get 90+ bids. so, if you are looking for a home in north texas, and a calligraphy, good luck

·
Registered
2020 SantaFe
171 Posts
While I hate it when dealers go over MSRP it is our Capitalist system of supply and demand. I just wait or go to another dealer. I have never paid over MSRP but I did once pay MSRP on a car that was short on supply. That said some manufactures don't allow their dealers to sell over MSRP but many do anyway. If you want it bad enough and can afford the upcharge get it.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,027 Posts
I finally found the car I have been waiting for (Calligraphy, 20" wheels, beige interior) at a dealer. It's not a dealer close to me. I sent them a message that I'm interested in the car. They said their "lowest" price is $1,000 over MSRP. I told them I would pay MSRP and they declined. They said it's purely supply & demand. What do you think?
This is nothing new in auto sales. Do you think it’s something other than supply and demand?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,350 Posts
Supply & demand, applies to everything! Don't buy if don't want to over pay! Best to wait for the low demand period. I read somewhere that Canadian dealers can't sell above MSRP, bounded by Canadian law. Although they can always add creative fees to raise the profit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
In our area - the Telluride goes for 10k over MSRP easy.....Its nuts.
Homes - boats - cars - minivans - people seem to have a lot of extra money to spend now.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
429 Posts
OP should have said He wanted that car, but that the car wasn't exactly what he wanted and that extra $1,000 probably wouldn't be there. So yeah, supply and demand. If you act like you gotta have it, then they will ad extra costs, if you act like it isn't perfect, they reduce the price to make the sale.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
917 Posts
I personally would not pay over MSRP for a SF, but if you like it enough go for it....or wait until you can get it at a better price. Sadly the COVID shut downs have wreaked havoc on many of the industries with shortages and delays...don't expect the prices to come down until things get back to "normal"....whatever that is these days lol!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you don't mind seeing new ones sell for thousands below that next year, then do it. Just add those several thousands of dollars to the thousands you're going to lose already in depreciation the first year regardless of what you pay and do whatever flips your switch.
Personally, I would never pay above MSRP for any vehicle. I remember when many moons ago my truck (new model at the time) first came out and they were going for a couple grand above MSRP locally. I got a price out of state (1,000 miles away) for $6,000 BELOW MSRP. Pinged local dealers telling them I was going to travel for the deal and they all cried there was "no way" they could come close. I told them all the same thing. $5k below MSRP and I'll come pick it up today. One happily obliged. The others kept calling trying to 'negotiate' how much above MSRP I wanted to pay and basically saying it was impossible I could buy it for that price. They were very short conversations. Still driving that truck. :)

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
987 Posts
OP should have said He wanted that car, but that the car wasn't exactly what he wanted and that extra $1,000 probably wouldn't be there. So yeah, supply and demand. If you act like you gotta have it, then they will ad extra costs, if you act like it isn't perfect, they reduce the price to make the sale.
Not if they are selling every Calligraphy that they are allocated. Why would they discount if they know someone else will buy it at MSRP +$1000?

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
429 Posts
Not if they are selling every Calligraphy that they are allocated. Why would they discount if they know someone else will buy it at MSRP +$1000?
True enough.
I was just compounding on the Supply vs. Demand. I know car salesmen will do/say almost anything to make the sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely supply and demand. I saw dealers in Maryland were charging $2K over MSRP. I ended up paying $1K under MSRP (finance incentive) very recently. No other dealerships had them on their lot and they told me they are sold before they arrive. The closest dealership wanted me to put down a deposit on one they were getting before it arrived (Blue w/ 19" rims). I chose to drive 2 hrs to get the color combination I wanted (White w/ Black interior).

The process was frustrating. I went to TrueCar.com and had them send out my info to local dealers. They were all contacting me trying to get me to purchase a different car because they didn't have an Calligraphys in inventory.

It depends on when you will need a car. I needed to buy a car by the fall. I believe the "chip shortage" will get worse before it gets better so I bought now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a friend that paid $10K over MSRP for a PT Cruiser when they were first introduced. People do crazy things and dealers are happy to take that free money. Just wait it out...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking into getting a Limited and most dealers around are not budging from MSRP. I'm hoping to make up some of that through my trade in. I figure by the time the new market gets more buyer friendly, the used market will too and it will be a wash.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe SEL Premium / Convenience / Cargo going to 2021 Caligraphy
79 Posts
Definitely supply and demand. I saw dealers in Maryland were charging $2K over MSRP. I ended up paying $1K under MSRP (finance incentive) very recently. No other dealerships had them on their lot and they told me they are sold before they arrive. The closest dealership wanted me to put down a deposit on one they were getting before it arrived (Blue w/ 19" rims). I chose to drive 2 hrs to get the color combination I wanted (White w/ Black interior).

The process was frustrating. I went to TrueCar.com and had them send out my info to local dealers. They were all contacting me trying to get me to purchase a different car because they didn't have an Calligraphys in inventory.

It depends on when you will need a car. I needed to buy a car by the fall. I believe the "chip shortage" will get worse before it gets better so I bought now.
You are correct, they are sold before they arrive. I'm waiting on a new Candy Apple Red Limited which is on a delivery truck, according to the dealer, and trading in my new 2021 Blue SEL just to get all the Limited features like the blind spot dash turn signal cameras, pedestrian detection and braking, etc. My current SEL has 300 (yes 300) total miles on it and I've only had it for one month.

So I know that I will be taking the depreciation hit on it but they are trying to low ball me on the trade in value. I have all the Edmunds documentation on what the real trade in should be and am prepared to walk away if they don't do better. But my current is financed at 4.9% and if the new one comes in this month, Hyundai has the 1.9% deal going plus they are selling the Limited to me (as this will be the 3rd car in one year I bought from them, yes, I love toys) at MSRP and not jacking it up.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts