Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. I purchased a 2020 2.0T Ultimate about 4 weeks ago. Love the vehicle very much! However, when we picked up the SF from the dealer, it came with two strange issues. Both will be fixed by the dealer eventually, but wanted to share to see if anyone else has had these issues. I feel like I did a pretty good deep dive into this forum to see if anyone suffered the same issues, but came up empty. Here are the two issues.

Steering Wheel - I have to hold it slightly to the right to drive straight on the highway. Even active LKA keeps it that way to drive straight. Issue appears (or gets worse) starting at 90kms and up.

Drivers side mirror - SUV came straight from the factory with a faulty side view mirror. The outside plastic trim where the front plastic seams with the back is separated and will not snap back into place. Dealership did not notice upon delivery. I I actually missed it when picking it up, but noticed it as soon as I got home.

Dealership already looked at the steering wheel and gave SF back to me claiming it was fixed. It wasn't, so they will have to try again. Mirror will be replaced completely, but is currently on back order and needs to be painted upon arrival. Since its small issues, will wait for the mirror to come in so they can fix that, and the steering issue at the same time.

Any one have similar issues with their 2020s? The mirror is whatever, but the steering wheel issue bugs the sh*t out of me...lol

Pics are attached...

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
742 Posts
If the car doesn't pull to either side on a flat road, then it is just the steering wheel needs to be re-center. It is a simple thing to do, at least on an older car I had before.

·
Registered
6 Hyundais and a couple of horses.
263 Posts
That mirror is "faulty" because it was damaged somehow, not because it came that way from the factory. Somebody hit something with that mirror.

The steering wheel is an issue that can be corrected, as rambokid pointed out, although, I'd be concerned about a dealership selling you a car with accident damage. Of course it's "faulty". If I ran my car off a bridge, it would be faulty as well. So the steering wheel issue makes me wonder what the heck happened to that car before you took delivery.

Steering wheel wonky? Well, in today's complicated vehicles, meh... That's not all that big of an issue.
Steering wheel wonky with broken mirror as well? A closer look is needed.

Yes, I know that a little damage in transport is expected, but that doesn't mean that you purchase that vehicle without knowing the extent of the damage. Most likely, judging by the scuffs, the car was being backed off the truck and the mirror got caught. The dealer sold the car quickly, and during the prep to hand it over to you, noticed the damage. It happens quite a bit. Probably not anything worse, but if you notice anything else, it's time to have a heart to heart with the dealer.

I'm not trying to stir up anything, but if you were my kid, that's what I'd be saying to you.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,578 Posts
I drove over a curb (hard) and it knocked off my front wheel alignment. Your vehicle likely suffered a similar “accident.” A 4-wheel alignment should quickly fix your steering wheel centering problem. If not, something further is amiss. Yes, your new vehicle suffered some kind of accident that caused both problems.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
742 Posts
I believe steering wheel centering adjustment doesn't affect alignment. Iirc, loooong time ago, steering wheel was off center after an alignment, returned to complain, the guy asked me to drive onto the ramp, positioned the steering wheel to my liking while he did something underneath, took less than a minute and the alignment sensors were not even attached.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe steering wheel centering adjustment doesn't affect alignment. Iirc, loooong time ago, steering wheel was off center after an alignment, returned to complain, the guy asked me to drive onto the ramp, positioned the steering wheel to my liking while he did something underneath, took less than a minute and the alignment sensors were not even attached.
He adjusted the tie rods..... never pull the steering wheel to adjust the wheel to straight-ahead position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,

Thats for all the responses. I'm a little shocked that some of you think the vehicle was involved in some sort of accident! Pay no attention to those "scuffs" on the side view mirror. Because they aren't scuffs, it dirt and finger prints from me trying to push the mirror back together. The mirror is clean. Not a **** scratch on it. Thats why I ruled out it being struck by something. If that mirror was struck that hard, to cause this kind of damage, it would have left a very noticeable mark. As for the steering wheel not being centred, alignment of the SF has nothing to do with that. I highly doubt the vehicle was involved in some sort of accident that caused the steering alignment to be altered. I still believe these are factory issues, however...what the **** do I know? People are shady...no question about that. I did have a good look underneath, everything is super clean. No signs of trauma whatsoever. If this thing was slammed into a curb, I would expect wheel damage, tire damage, and some sort of suspension damage. This particular SF was brought over from another local dealership as my dealership was fresh out of Ultimates. They had the SF for 2 days before they gave it to me. So covering up damage to the mirror and steering by replacing parts or whatever doesn't make sense...not enough time.

The truck drives like a brand new vehicle. Concluding that it was in some sort of incident prior to delivery just doesn't add up IMO.

Feel free to argue with me here...

·
Registered
6 Hyundais and a couple of horses.
263 Posts
Zero argument here. You're there. :)

The idea isn't to "argue", it's for others to add their input, and for you to decide what is valid to your situation, since you are there. Good times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero argument here. You're there. :)

The idea isn't to "argue", it's for others to add their input, and for you to decide what is valid to your situation, since you are there. Good times.
Good times indeed! - I ended up taking the side view mirror apart. LOL. I managed to get the cover off. I also took the passenger's cover off to compare the two. The drivers side cover is ever so slightly warped causing it to not sit properly once attached to the mirror. Managed to put everything back together nicely and actually improved the mirror a bit. Will get dealership to replace once the new part is in. Will keep you guys posted on the steering wheel. Hoping that gets fixed too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts