Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got new 2020 Tucson 5 months ago. The windshield just developed a crack almost instantaneously, that starts at the bottom passenger edge, comes up about 8 " and then curves toward the driver side for about 18". There is NO chip or rock damage. It is just a single, hairline crack with no spider offshoots anywhere. Since it comes from the lower edge of the glass, I assume this is an installation/defect issue. Anything I need to know before I take it to the dealer? Or is Hyundai pretty good about covering something like this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would definitely go back to them, I think I saw some kind of TSB on the panoramic moon roofs shattering also on some models...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Windshields are not covered by warranty. You really need to have some good proof that it's a manufacturer defect. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: solman98

·
Registered
82 Posts
On a new 2020 and no sign of impacts the dealer should replace it, I would also notify the NHTSA..

·
Registered
826 Posts
On a new 2020 and no sign of impacts the dealer should replace it, I would also notify the NHTSA..
Unfortunately they won't though unless there is a widespread issue and lots of complaints. Look at 2020 Palisade. Windshield is by far the most common complaint on NHTSA website but you won't get a free windshield from Hyundai as of today. What is weird is that Telluride has same exact complaint (sister vehicle) and KIA sent a letter and is doing free replacement. Strange how they work since the 2 are interconnected and many components of the vehicles are the same.

I have a 2020 Tucson and Palisade
No issues with Tucson (knock on wood) and we use it alot. I'm worried about the Palisade windshield though so getting ExoShield installed in a week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer looked at it and saw that it came from the edge and there was no stone impact mark at all, and concluded it was a defect. They are replacing it at no charge. Thanks for the input. Hopefully the replacement will go smoothly... especially with all the stiff mounted by the mirror... anything I should test/check after I get it back to make sure everything is mounted and plugged back in properly? :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good to hear. Must be a good dealer.
Based on other windshield issues posted with cracks out of nowhere not everyone is so lucky

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to here that I was fairly confident it would be taken care of given your details, ask them if there's is a curing time take a look at any moldings and that there back in position, then maybe a drive through car wash to check for leaks preferably a high pressure type, if every the looks good that should be it. it could have been just one of those things...:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dealer looked at it and saw that it came from the edge and there was no stone impact mark at all, and concluded it was a defect. They are replacing it at no charge. Thanks for the input. Hopefully the replacement will go smoothly... especially with all the stiff mounted by the mirror... anything I should test/check after I get it back to make sure everything is mounted and plugged back in properly? :)
Where are you located. I’m in Chicago and would like to know where this dealer is for my own issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts