Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2020 Tucson in early June.
I noticed shuddering strongly when braking from 50mph and higher, definitely something wrong with the braking system- I thought warped rotors initially...
But how could this happen on a brand new vehicle with ~300miles on it?

Took it to the dealer and they said they found some "oxidation and issues" with the rotors, and will re-surface.

What do you think, anyone else have this experience with a new Tucson, and what do the experts here think of a new car with this problem?

·
Registered
770 Posts
No brake issues with 2020 Tucson Limited with 4500 miles on it. Maybe it depends on climate/location?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
... dealer said pad material was transferred to rotors from sitting on the lot
Very common but not transfer. The rotors are cast iron and there are some metals in the pad material. Add water, say by washing, and you create a galvanic cell where the cast iron corrodes. In practice, the rotor dries out OK where it is open to air but the patch between the rotor and the pad stays wet longer starting to corrode the CI. Repeat a few times, very common on a dealers lot and that one patch has corroded quite deeply. Iron oxide is more voluminous and harder than the surrounding CI. It "sticks up" and creates a rough patch causing the uneven braking effect and it is really hard to wear down. In some cases, only new rotors really solves the problem.

Tip: Dry the brakes off with a little use after washing. Dry brakes don't corrode nearly as fast as wet ones.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Shuddering or pulsating pedal is caused by disc thickness variation. My question is are they going to machine the rotors to fix the problem. If thats the case I would not accept it because they would be now closer to scrap thickness and have an inferior surface finish to new rotors which are ground not machined. Request they replace the rotors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
....and what do the experts here think of a new car with this problem?
It is possible that the new brakes were not broken in correctly as well. New brake pads and rotors need to be broken in so that the pads seat properly to the rotors. Generally, new cars are not totally broken in and with such few miles on yours, I would suspect this could also be part of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts