Hyundai Forums banner

2020 Sonata Limited Prices Paid

28K views 145 replies 45 participants last post by  Nesli Hyundai 
#1 ·
To help others negotiate a good price please post the following for your 2020 Sonata Limited. Thanks!

Date purchased:
Exterior color:
Interior color:
State:
Price including destination*:

* Do NOT include any incentives (like military, loyalty, student), trade-in, dealer installed accessories, dealer document fees, tax, title and registration

#101 ·
Hi.. For those of you just joining the conversation, I have a favor to ask. Feel free to chat about any of the numbers you want regarding your deal; you should be happy you've gotten your brand new Sonata!

But, we would love to compare prices - apples to apples. Unfortunately, we live all throughout the country and qualify for different incentives, pay different taxes, have usage taxes, etc.. Some will have trades, some will lease.

One thing that is always consistent, is that all cars have an MSRP and all dealers will give you a sales/list price of the vehicle. We'd love to know just those two numbers, along with a zip code, to help us evaluate your deal!

Number One - MSRP. This is on your window sticker. It includes all the factory addons and Freight. It does not include dealer accessories. See Screenshot 1. In this example MSRP = $34,785

Number Two - Sales Price, aka List or Gross Cap Cost. This is the "Agreed Upon value of the vehicle". This is the number used by your state calculate your taxes. This number represents the discounted price the dealership placed on your vehicle and does not include TT&L, incentives, accessories, trade-in value, negative equity, or any other oddball numbers. For leases, this number is listed separate of the acquisition fee. This number is on a sales sheet you would have signed, and was stuffed in an envelope with a bunch of other paperwork. It may vary from state to state so I can't say what yours may look like. See Screenshot 2. In this example, the sale price = $31,325.

Add your zip code so we know what region you got such an awesome deal. That's it. That's all we need from you! Enjoy your purchase!
MSRP = $34,785
Sale Price = $31,325
Discount = $3,460
Discount as a percent = 9.95%
Zip = 19702

#102 ·
Here's a summary of prices paid and reported to this thread, from those that posted numbers for which I could establish the MSRP and Sale price.

Average MSRP: $34,756.11
Average Sale Price: $31,734.44
Average Discount: $3,021.67
Average Discount as a Percent: 8.69%

Consolidated List below. Note: There's one SEL listed below but it was not included in the averages for Limiteds above. I can update periodically if we get more numbers.

Date: Dec 2019
Region: Michigan
MSRP: $34,445
Sale: $31,212
Discount: $3,233
Discount as Percent: 9.39%

Date: May 2020
Region: Arizona
MSRP: $26,500 (SEL)
Sale: $24,220
Discount: $2,280
Discount as Percent: 8.6%

Date: Feb 2020
Region: Illinois
MSRP: $34,655
Sale: $33,314
Discount: $1,341
Discount as Percent: 3.87%

Region: Pennsylvania
MSRP: $35,055
Sale: $32,330
Discount: $2,725
Discount as Percent: 7.78%

MSRP: $34,960
Sale: $31,999
Discount: $2,961
Discount as Percent: 8.47%

Region: Maryland
MSRP: $34,455
Sale: $31,562
Discount: $2,893
Discount as Percent: 8.40%

Region: Delaware
MSRP: $34,785
Sale: $31,325
Discount: $3,460
Discount as Percent: 9.95%

MSRP: $34,970
Sale: $31,490
Discount: $3,480
Discount as Percent: 9.95%

Date: June 2020
Region: Ohio
MSRP: $34,530
Sale: $31,146
Discount: $3,383
Discount as Percent: 9.8%

Date: July 2020
Region: Texas
MSRP: $34,950
Sale: $31,232
Discount: $3,718
Discount as Percent: 10.64%

#105 ·
State: New Jersey
MSRP: $34,735
Discount: -$3766
Discount%: 10.84%

Dealer fees: $454
Sales tax: $2082 (6.625% of MSRP - Discount + Dealer fees)
Gov fees: $103
Rebate: -$1500 (factory cashback)
OTD price: $32,108

I negotiated the OTD price over email - declined all requests to talk on the phone or visit the dealerships in person. It took me a while to get to this price but I knew roughly 10% discount before rebates was possible thanks to other people who posted their prices on here.

A couple of things I learned from this process:
  • Rebates vary by state, e.g. the cashback is currently $1500 in NJ/NY/PA, but $2000 in DE/MD/OH.
  • Some states have a limit on the dealership doc fee
  • Some states calculate the tax before subtracting the rebates and/or trade-in and some don't. Check your state's regulation here: What New Car Fees Should You Pay? | Edmunds
  • Some dealers include conditional rebates in their discount when they give you a quote. When you walk in to buy the car, I assume they would hike up the price saying you don't qualify for some of the rebates. If you're in a state that calculates the tax before rebates, you can figure out whether the discount includes any rebates.

#117 ·
State: New Jersey
MSRP: $34,735
Discount: -$3766
Discount%: 10.84%

Dealer fees: $454
Sales tax: $2082 (6.625% of MSRP - Discount + Dealer fees)
Gov fees: $103
Rebate: -$1500 (factory cashback)
OTD price: $32,108

I negotiated the OTD price over email - declined all requests to talk on the phone or visit the dealerships in person. It took me a while to get to this price but I knew roughly 10% discount before rebates was possible thanks to other people who posted their prices on here.

A couple of things I learned from this process:
  • Rebates vary by state, e.g. the cashback is currently $1500 in NJ/NY/PA, but $2000 in DE/MD/OH.
  • Some states have a limit on the dealership doc fee
  • Some states calculate the tax before subtracting the rebates and/or trade-in and some don't. Check your state's regulation here: What New Car Fees Should You Pay? | Edmunds
  • Some dealers include conditional rebates in their discount when they give you a quote. When you walk in to buy the car, I assume they would hike up the price saying you don't qualify for some of the rebates. If you're in a state that calculates the tax before rebates, you can figure out whether the discount includes any rebates.
What trim level?
Curious what ya'll think of this price:

State: California
MSRP: $34,810.00
Discount: -$4,434.00 (12.74%)
Rebate/Incentives: -$2,000.00 (2020 Sonata Bonus Cash)
Dealer Fees: $1,470.00
- $85.00 Doc Prep Charge
- $987 Paint & Fabric Protection
- $398 Clearshield Door & Edge Protection

OTD: $29,846.00 (Before TTL)

It seems like a great price to me as long as the dealer doesn't have any other surprise fee's to add on (been working with my salesman via email) but I'm wondering if I should try and get them to ease back on the addendum. Not sure if it'll be possible since they're already giving me a pretty big discount but $1,400 extra for Paint/Fabric/Door protection that I won't need is pretty hefty.
What trim level?

#107 ·
Curious what ya'll think of this price:

State: California
MSRP: $34,810.00
Rebate/Incentives: -$2,000.00 (2020 Sonata Bonus Cash)
- $85.00 Doc Prep Charge

OTD: $29,846.00 (Before TTL)

It seems like a great price to me as long as the dealer doesn't have any other surprise fee's to add on (been working with my salesman via email) but I'm wondering if I should try and get them to ease back on the addendum. Not sure if it'll be possible since they're already giving me a pretty big discount but $1,400 extra for Paint/Fabric/Door protection that I won't need is pretty hefty.

#108 ·
This is the magic number - good deal

- $85.00 Doc Prep Charge
Wow! What is this Paint & Fab protection and Door & Edge Protection? Can you negotiate away from this or is this something you wanted? $1,385 added back to your deal lowers your from a 12.74% discount to a 8.76% discount.

#121 ·
The discounted/negotiated price is exclusive of the offers taken. That's the point of this conversation, to know what Hyundai sold you the car for. Any dealer who tells you the price of the vehicle will be different depending on whether you take cash back or 0% is lying to you. He's trying to give you a better sales price with the cash back, so that you don't truly know what the price of the car was.

Some of us took cash back, some took 0% finance, some of us leased. The bottom line is you should be getting about 10% off the msrp BEFORE you even talk about how you're going to pay for it.

#123 ·
i kinda second that^^. i was just shopping, and the sonata was one of the cars i wanted to see/drive. what prompted looking at the sonata was the 0%, at that time, hyundai was the only one offering it. my primary concern was getting rid of the elantra(hail damage, claims), and after extensive research, i figured we would be lucky to get 5k. the first dealer, really close, that i called said the person who gave the trade in estimate was not there, and based on what i told them, they said about 3500. when i called the second dealer, whom we actually bought the elantra from, they said to bring the car, and they would give me a trade in value. so i went. i knew i wanted something with all the bells and whistles, and was thinking about mazda, subaru, and kia, leaning towards a subaru, because of the all wheel drive. and i wanted a base trade in value. i hate selling a car private party. i hate getting calls like, "what will you take?" and no one has even looked at the car. so they came back with the 9500 value against a limited, which i had not yet even looked at. i asked what the monthly would be, they added in the 1k discount, tt&l, and it was just over 410, i think. so i returned home, and got my wife, and she was, "wtf? we are getting a new car?" returned, drove a white one, which was the color i preferred, but the tan interior we didnt like. i didnt care what the actual price was, i look at monthly. so again, zero percent got me looking at hyundai, and big trade in got them the sale.

#126 ·
Let's see if this breakdown works..

Date purchased: 7/27/20
Exterior color: Red
Interior color: Gray
State: Michigan
MSRP: $34,560
"Internet Sales Price": $27,753 ($6807 in discounts/incentives/rebates) + tax/docs/fees

From the paperwork:
Purchase Price: $30,721
Other charges (Docs, filing fee): $244
(Trade-in Sales Tax Credit: $6000 -> Total Taxable: $24,955.00 --> $291 sales tax savings)
Plates + Sales Tax Paid: $1551.90
Total Delivered Price: $32,516.90
Rebates: $3,150
Total Paid (OTD): $29,366.90~ (before interest)
3rd party Finance: 1.99% APR @ 60 mo

#130 · (Edited)
they love to give you a story about how that doesn't even cover all their expensives too, don't they? The only reason why that doc fee is not $1000 is because the state sets a maximum that they can charge and I will bet dollars to donuts that is your state maximum. In IL, it is $300 up from $175 just last year. It is a total bullshit fee. Michigan man above is in a good state where his doc fee is capped at $220? or 5% of the vehicle cost, whichever is less..

#140 · (Edited)
Date purchased: 9/28/2020
Exterior color: Portofino Grey
Interior color: Black
State: NJ
Price including destination*: $31643

Trade in: $1000
"Loyalty Reward Card": $99.50
Doc Fees: $399.00
Tax: $2063.12
New Tire Fee: $7.50
Registration/Title: $219
Rebate: -$4500
Total: $28931.12 (on receipt)

Bonus Drive Rebate: -$250
GRAND TOTAL: $28681.12
I'll pay some interest but it should be negligible.

Basically, they took $2500 off then another $2000 for financing which got me to around $30K OTD. Then another $1000 (plus tax savings) off. And some $250 rebate not related to the dealership.
I got a 2.9% rate. This state has no prepayment penalty. The ask the I wait to pay it off for 90 days so the dealership gets some incentive even if I pay off 99% first. Hopefully that works out.

I hope this is a good deal. I figure it is a good time to buy with to 2021 models starting to show up. Not really the smoothest experience. Found the car I wanted online (P Grey exterior, Dark Grey interior), Told them I wanted it for $30K. They called me telling me they could do it if I did financing but I can just pay in full after my first payment and not pay any interest. Once I arrive at the dealership, I find out I have to make two payments first so there will be some interest. This is negligible so I agree, then they tell me the Dark grey interior is "RCRed" and it will cost $2000 more but they can give me any other color so I choose black. In the end, I get the price I want and almost the car I want so I guess I'm happy. I did find some tiny scratches on the trunk. My fingernail picks them up so I took it back and they agreed to fix it. They keyfob also has a scratch in it. I asked them to replace it and they said they can't because its paired with the car. I don't believe that since they have to be able to program them if you lose your keyfob. However, I can live with this.

#141 ·
Limited 2.0
Date purchased: 12/31/2020
Exterior color: Black
Interior color: Black
State: TX

MSRP Including Destiination : 39,845

They are openly offering 6000k here in Austin off all the 2020 Santa Fes . I was able to get another 500 off for 6500 below MSRP.
I just had to pay 33,345 + Registration (200 odd) + TX State Tax

#143 ·
To help others negotiate a good price please post the following for your 2020 Sonata Limited. Thanks!

Date purchased: 4-4-2020
Exterior color: Stormy Blue
Interior color: Tan
State: OR
Price including destination*: 31,257
Got 1.9% 72 Months
No other discounts

* Do NOT include any incentives (like military, loyalty, student), trade-in, dealer installed accessories, dealer document fees, tax, title and registration

#144 ·
Probably not one of the best deals but I got a 2021 Limited, out the door, for $31.6K. I'm sure there are more deals to be had now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.