Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my vehicle in a short driving spurt sense normally, only 3 to 5 miles per use typically as I do errands at college; however, I went hiking one weekend like I might normally (a 22 mile drive back to my parking location at night) where I then locked up my vehicle and had no notification from my app of any systems still being on to drain the battery. I came back to my vehicle which had been sitting outdoors with no tree cover above it over 4 days (meaning the solar roof should have charged the traction and accessory battery to full over that period of time) and neither my key fob nor my phone worked for unlocking or communicating with the car. It was dead enough to not have the security light flashing on the dashboard.
Ended up calling roadside assistance where we attempted to remove the plastic cover on the door handle to reveal the mechanical key hole. Even while following the owners manual, the plastic cover would not come off. Even wedged a knife in the gap and it would not budge. The roadside assistance even said that it should be easy to take off which it never did come off (will talk to dealer about that at next service).
Eventually had to wedge and pump the door open and open using a handle wire. As soon as I got into the car, I pressed the 12volt to traction battery self jump button and the car started up like it normally would if it needed a self jump. It has been a few weeks and I haven't had the same issue, so I have no idea if I will randomly have that happen again. The solar roof should in theory, prevent that from ever happening, so it was very disappointing to have that happen with no explanation from Hyundai Customer Care at the time. Wondering if anyone has the same issues.

Reference info:
Car was purchased July 31st, 2020
Had less than 1k miles on it at the time of the incident
one other time I remember the solar panel not being on in the past when the car was parked outside for 5 hours.
Even if the solar panel wasn't on, a car battery shouldn't die in 4 days, especially this new. (could be related to the new technology of the 12volt lithium ion accessory battery and its implementation.
Weather was mild
Cloud cover was very limited

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited
118 Posts
Something is not working as it is supposed to. But it appears to be intermittent and this type of problem can be difficult to diagnose. You don't mention formally filing a report with your selling dealer service department or with Hyundai. If you did not I think you should begin a formal documentation process.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't have a hybrid, but I regularly park my car at the airport for a week with no issues. I've often wondered how long I can leave my car parked with the fancy electronics. For example, blue link must always be drawing power. I'd think with the solar panel and the giant battery, it should last even longer. I think you need to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something is not working as it is supposed to. But it appears to be intermittent and this type of problem can be difficult to diagnose. You don't mention formally filing a report with your selling dealer service department or with Hyundai. If you did not I think you should begin a formal documentation process.
Yeah, I will be over winter break, I also need to discuss an uneven clearcoat on the car as there are tiny rust specks on the back 3 quarter panels, not what you want to see. I will also start the documentation process as the above person mentioned.

7 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me about 30 days after I bought my 2020 Santa FE Sel. Parked the SUV over the weekend and on Monday morning battery was completely dead. There is a trick to getting the plastic piece out so that you can use the key. You have to pull on the door handle and using a finger push the plastic piece forward from the back.

So after I got a jump from the Hyundai Auto car service, the Stop / Start at a light function would no longer work. I was told by a battery dealer that jumping an AGM battery will destroy about 10% of its function. The Dealer had to replace the battery to get my Stop / Start function to work again. I went and bought myself a Noco 10 amp battery charger and randomly do full charges on the battery since I drive less then 10 miles normally when I go out. So far no more issues with the battery and have owned SUV for 1 year now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the exact same thing happen to me about 30 days after I bought my 2020 Santa FE Sel. Parked the SUV over the weekend and on Monday morning battery was completely dead. There is a trick to getting the plastic piece out so that you can use the key. You have to pull on the door handle and using a finger push the plastic piece forward from the back.

So after I got a jump from the Hyundai Auto car service, the Stop / Start at a light function would no longer work. I was told by a battery dealer that jumping an AGM battery will destroy about 10% of its function. The Dealer had to replace the battery to get my Stop / Start function to work again. I went and bought myself a Noco 10 amp battery charger and randomly do full charges on the battery since I drive less then 10 miles normally when I go out. So far no more issues with the battery and have owned SUV for 1 year now.
Thats super interesting, I havent had any issues with stop start of course since my car is constantly turning on and off the engine to enter hybrid and ev mode. Ill use that door handle trick you mentioned the next time I get a completely dead battery, because following the manual for removing the plastic cover of the mechanical key slot definitely did not work. Ill be sure to ask my dealership at my next service if there is something defective with my cover! Fortunately, my car jumps itself with the traction battery, so hopefully, hyundai designed it to not hurt itself when being jumped, but who knows as this is the first generation of a new hybrid platform and im honestly just getting ready for so many more issues to pop up. Ill be a happy customer as long as they keep helping me without charging me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts