Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2020 Sonata Limited and just discovered that door seal are properly installed in the right place as a result when it rains or when I wash the car water gets trapped between the door frame and the body of the car and when I open the door water gushes out in large volumes. I had this car for one day when I discovered the problem because it rained the same day I brought the car home. I took the car back to the dealership and they wash the and had the same leaky results. The dealership called Hyundai Headquarters and was told that that is just the way the car was made that way and that there is nothing they can do about it. Hyundai need to recall this vehicle now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello, I just bought a 2020 Sonata Limited and just discovered that door seal are properly installed in the right place as a result when it rains or when I wash the car water gets trapped between the door frame and the body of the car and when I open the door water gushes out in large volumes. I had this car for one day when I discovered the problem because it rained the same day I brought the car home. I took the car back to the dealership and they wash the and had the same leaky results. The dealership called Hyundai Headquarters and was told that that is just the way the car was made that way and that there is nothing they can do about it. Hyundai need to recall this vehicle now.
There has been an earlier thread about this issue.
Door Drain Issue

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
152 Posts
I found a puddle like this under my rear passenger door a few days ago. Just got the car Saturday (Limited in blue).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I found a puddle like this under my rear passenger door a few days ago. Just got the car Saturday (Limited in blue).
Start a ticket with Hyundai, get it checked at the dealership and escalate the issue with Hyundai. Eventually their should be a TSB if enough complains are filed correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked with the Customer Relations department at Hyundai Corporate Headquarters and they don't seem to a fix for this problem nor do they seem very interested in finding one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What did you want them to do? Stop production and issue a stop sale? Not all cars have the issue which means it's probably some sort of production issue which will be identified and repairable down the road. It might help if people posted the last 5 digits of their VIN to see if there's any commonality and whether it may have been a problem on cars built earlier in the run. Mine's 14111 and I don't have it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
uhmm? So obviously water is being captured some where and not draining out where its supose to. this should'nt be hard to figure out has the dealer not checked all the water drains around the bottom of the doors and all seals for drainage.?

·
Registered
163 Posts
What did you want them to do? Stop production and issue a stop sale? Not all cars have the issue which means it's probably some sort of production issue which will be identified and repairable down the road. It might help if people posted the last 5 digits of their VIN to see if there's any commonality and whether it may have been a problem on cars built earlier in the run. Mine's 14111 and I don't have it.
I think the 1st (country) and 11th (plant) are more important for initial investiagation we can do (i.e. mine was made in Montgomery, AL (5,H).

·
Registered
255 Posts
uhmm? So obviously water is being captured some where and not draining out where its supose to. this should'nt be hard to figure out has the dealer not checked all the water drains around the bottom of the doors and all seals for drainage.?
My dealer checked it out and couldn't reproduced the issue by running a hose over the car. Maybe time is a factor??

·
Registered
20 Sonata LTD, St. Sea Blue, All Black interior.
79 Posts
I have the same water issue. The water amount will be dependent on Duration AND volume. Examining it myself I notice the water gets in along the door edges and accumulates below the door in the jam and NOT in the door as in getting in thru the window itself where it would cause damage to the inner door workings. If you garage your car this isn't a problem except when parking outside. I just open my doors after each rain to drain them and dry up what's left. I'm considering finding some type of rubber stripping to maybe seal it if possible. The MFG should do this since they do have the Blueprints to design them better. Not holding my breath!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hyundai corporate did get back to me. They sent the video to a FSE (Field service engineer). They wanted to know if the interior was getting was getting wet or if I knew how the water was getting in the door. I let them know the dealership ran a hose over the car and couldn't reproduce the issue. I have no idea how the water is getting in the car, that is why I sent them the video. I am a musician, not a mechanic :)
I would recommend they run a car of their own through a car wash several times and see if they can ascertain what is happening, or reach out to "Humansoup".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't understand why Hyundai Corporate Headquarters is making this so hard. The water leak is a problem that their highly paid engineers should be able fix. I have been waiting on a recall to fix this issue, but not a word yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If your having the water in the door issue, see if you have a 3/16" gap of weatherstripping where the window meets the chrome strip on the rear door (see picture). I only have it on the rear driver's side door, the door with the issue.
It would also be good to know if folks that are NOT having this issue have the gap.
I'm just trying to do Hyundai's job for them, apparently. ;)
Gap measurement 2020 Sonata 3 16ths of and inch (rear driver door).jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts