Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 2020 Sonata SE Dec 2019. A couple of thing are concerning and I'd like to find out if others have experienced this and/or if this is normal? I've been unable to find any information online.

1. From the day that I drove it home from the dealership I've noticed what smells like burnt oil when parked and engine is turned off. I've noticed it a time or two while sitting idled in line at the drive through as well. No warning lights, the smell quickly goes away, and there is no oil on the ground under the car.

2. Upon a cold start, (after car has been sitting for several hours), when the key is turned the engine doesn't start right away. I instinctively return the key to the off position and then back to start a second time and it'll start right up. I've held it in the start position and after a few seconds it will start. None of the three previous Sonata's I've owned ever did this. They all have started immediately when the key is turned to start. I've tried to locate this in the manual, thinking maybe it's some sort of feature, but haven't been able to find anything on this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there! I'm actually running into the same two issues. I noticed the burning smell immediately after I drove home from the dealership but it's getting less noticeable the more I drive it.

Regarding the remote start, I have the same issue. My remote doesn't consistently turn on my car making it hard for me to trust it when I want to turn the car on from my apartment. I took it in to the dealer last week and they didn't know what was wrong. They weren't able to replicate the problem (since the car wasn't cold anymore). I'm gonna monitor it some more, but in the meantime, I've been using BlueLink to turn my car on over the app.

Edit: I just noticed your issue isn't with the remote start, but it's when you're actually turning the key in the ignition?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are most likely smelling the oils and coatings on the new engine, and other parts, getting burnt off as the car is driven the first hundred miles or so. It should go away once driven more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the remote start. As far as the smell, I have right at 5,000 miles on it and the smell remains.
This past weekend, when I took it in for the first oil change, the dealership informed me that they didn't have a clue as to what the smell could be. As far as the start delay, they tested another Sonata on the lot and it did the same thing, (or so they said). Seems to do this more so on the colder days. We did check the oil level a couple of weeks ago and it still appeared new and it was full. The motor is as clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
380 Posts
This isn't an identical issue but it is in the realm. Want to make sure you saw it:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's beginning to feel like this model is full of problems. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that water is being trapped between the frame and the back doors. When the doors are opened, after it's rained or a car wash, water pours out. So far it's not leaking into the carpet or seats, but it may sooner or later.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
380 Posts
When the doors are opened, after it's rained or a car wash, water pours out. So far it's not leaking into the carpet or seats, but it may sooner or later.
There's a whole thread on this exact issue. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

I am not experiencing this to the extreme it's being described but I am experiencing water drops and wetness after it rains or car washes around the door frames that concern me. However, I am happy to report that it has never actually caused any damage.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL
37 Posts
1. My SEL, which has the same 2.5 engine as yours was; I was experiencing the same smell which was pretty strong. It’s severity has decreased with usage and now at 800 miles, it’s virtually gone. All just part of factory lubrications and new metals and plastics adjusting.
Since you mentioned you’re at 5000 miles and it does go away quickly, I wouldn’t be too concerned unless you start smelling it coming through the AC vents. At which point it could impact your health or of course something more serious with the car.
I would request to see the Service Manager at your dealership and demo what you’re experiencing.
2. I experienced this just twice in the first 100 miles since I got the car. I concluded it was just the new engine air / fuel mixture and the computer adapting which caused the missed starts. It’s not happened since. The SEL does have push button start, but I don’t think that makes any difference compared to your key start.
You could move the key to the 2nd position - ON, where all lights on the instrument cluster come on, wait 3 seconds and then move the key to the start position to start the engine. See if that helps.

Overall the 2020 Sonata is a great car. Like any new car there may be a few teething issues, but look at the overall package and I hope your experience improves over time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also experienced the burning smell when brand new. It has since abated. Still have the water retention in the rear door and wind noise issue. Waiting for a TSB on both.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a strange incident today when backing in to a parking space. There were no obstacles in my way and was business as usual...until the car suddenly decided to apply auto braking and grind me to a halt. Ungh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a strange incident today when backing in to a parking space. There were no obstacles in my way and was business as usual...until the car suddenly decided to apply auto braking and grind me to a halt. Ungh.
Maybe it was braking for a rodent that was in the direct path?:)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Car wash with undercarriage wash..... might help

Check oil level frequently.

Exercise the warranty by visiting dealer for ALL your issues.

Autobraking works great. Minimally, it'll wake your a5s up and make you pay more attention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2020 Limited January and noticed the burning smell. Currently at 4000 miles and smell seems to be gone. I hope it was simply the burn off as well. So far this car has been great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the 2020 Sonata SE Dec 2019. A couple of thing are concerning and I'd like to find out if others have experienced this and/or if this is normal? I've been unable to find any information online.

1. From the day that I drove it home from the dealership I've noticed what smells like burnt oil when parked and engine is turned off. I've noticed it a time or two while sitting idled in line at the drive through as well. No warning lights, the smell quickly goes away, and there is no oil on the ground under the car.

2. Upon a cold start, (after car has been sitting for several hours), when the key is turned the engine doesn't start right away. I instinctively return the key to the off position and then back to start a second time and it'll start right up. I've held it in the start position and after a few seconds it will start. None of the three previous Sonata's I've owned ever did this. They all have started immediately when the key is turned to start. I've tried to locate this in the manual, thinking maybe it's some sort of feature, but haven't been able to find anything on this issue?
Regarding the burning oil issue, I have a 2007 Azera. From day one off the showroom floor I smelled oil burning. I could only smell it on the right side of the car. The smell didn’t often enter the cabin, except after long trips. There was no real oil loss that I could see on the dipstick. The dealer put dye in the oil pan to see if it was from the valve cover gasket or main engine gasket. They finally determined it was from the right valve cover. First they said it was a misshapen valve cover, which they charged me to replace. Since then, its been in the shop TEN more times for the same problem. Each time they feign ignorance, and eventually replace a “misshapen” valve cover gasket. The service manager wonders why they can’t get a high review from me. Now out of warranty and with 107K miles, I just live with it. I’m in the market for a new car now, and loved the Hyundai, but can’t stand the dealer and their flim/flam ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The last few times I've driven the car, I've made note that the smell is more prevalent when the Stop/Start feature is engaged, when the emergency brake is engaged and as well as when the auto brake is active. Which are times that the car is stationary and idling. It may be something with the braking system?

As for the trapped water in the back doors, I've made a video showing this. Not sure if I can upload it here or not? It is most certainly a design flaw with the seal around the doors or the door itself.

I reported all of my concerns to Hyundai and was contacted at the same time the apocalypse hit and ask if I would consider taking it into a dealership to be looked at. They are suppose to contact me again once the world is back up and running. I hate sitting at the dealership all day anyway, much less during everything that's going on right now. Plus the closest dealership is over a 100 miles from me.

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one experiencing these issues so maybe having them taken care of will go more smoothly than me just coming across as a whiner :)

1. My SEL, which has the same 2.5 engine as yours was; I was experiencing the same smell which was pretty strong. It’s severity has decreased with usage and now at 800 miles, it’s virtually gone. All just part of factory lubrications and new metals and plastics adjusting.
Since you mentioned you’re at 5000 miles and it does go away quickly, I wouldn’t be too concerned unless you start smelling it coming through the AC vents. At which point it could impact your health or of course something more serious with the car.
I would request to see the Service Manager at your dealership and demo what you’re experiencing.
2. I experienced this just twice in the first 100 miles since I got the car. I concluded it was just the new engine air / fuel mixture and the computer adapting which caused the missed starts. It’s not happened since. The SEL does have push button start, but I don’t think that makes any difference compared to your key start.
You could move the key to the 2nd position - ON, where all lights on the instrument cluster come on, wait 3 seconds and then move the key to the start position to start the engine. See if that helps.

Overall the 2020 Sonata is a great car. Like any new car there may be a few teething issues, but look at the overall package and I hope your experience improves over time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts