Hyundai Forums banner

2020 SEL PLUS Door Drain Issue.

30K views 120 replies 43 participants last post by  _Jay_ 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2020 Sonata and after a heavy rain the driver side rear door drains a large amount of water upon opening. None of the other doors do this, just wondering if anyone else had similar issues. Plan on taking it into the dealership the first day I'm able.

#93 ·
Wow a sickening display of dealership service. Do they wonder why Tesla wants to go dealership-less and of course the dealers are fighting it all the way arguing what are the poor consumers going to do when they dont have us to go to. Well who needs them when they offer service like this.

#94 ·
There are good and bad dealers of every brand. I'm on my fourth Hyundai in 7 years and the Sonata is the first I didn't buy out of state. Why out of state? Because I live in a city/state with few Hyundai dealers I've always gotten better deals with far less "what'll it take to put you in this car today" than I would have if I bought locally.

I live literally a mile from a Hyundai dealer. I loathe them. I drive 12 miles to another dealer for service where they treat me like a God. They'll give me a free loaner for an oil change so I can drop the car in the morning and pick it up after work. They are communicative and always error on doing what's right for me vs. the classic "unable to replicate." The service department doesn't care that I didn't buy the car from their dealership.

I did end up buying my Sonata from the dealer I loathe because I got the price I wanted and it was convenient. The sales-side was actually pretty pleasant. But nothing will get me to use them for service.

For those of you with issues - drive 12 miles and find yourself a dealer that gives a crap.

#95 ·
I took mine in to the dealer I don't loathe for this issue (among others) and they had no answer for this one...even after some water dumped out after the car wash. Said everything looked "good". One of the advisors has the same car and said he would look for this in his but didn't think much would change without a TSB. Well at least its a documented issue now...

#96 ·
I had this issue with my 2020 Sonata same door and I took it to be serviced. They said it was a design flaw and as long the water wasn't getting into the car (carpet) it was ok. I told them it's not ok with me so the service department replaced the moulding on the door. It fixed the problem and so far no more water. Be persistent with the dealership.

#105 ·
on my old galant vr4 i had a greddy profec B(amongst other mods). the display would show recent boost. i took the car to a local place that does state inspections, and part of the inspection was a road test. so one of the techs takes the car out, and several minutes go by. he returns, opens the hood, and now all the techs are there looking. he then comes over, hands me the keys, and says, "man, that car is fast". so i get in and leave, and i put it in the show past boost mode, and it shows max boost(21lbs) which i rarely used. after that, whenever i took the car in for state inspection, i would reset the boost way down to like 10

#109 ·
No water after a day of TS Fay! Yay! That makes twice we've had significant rain and no water when opening the door. Fingers-crossed it is fixed. Or at the least, much better than before the fix.

#110 ·
This was my first real test. I had no water in rear driver's side. I had a very slight bit on the rear passenger side. It was hardly noticeable. The vehicle I test drove prior to me buying mine was way obvious, dumping nearly a cup of water out of both doors.

Based on my experiment yesterday, I don't think I need to take mine to service.

#111 ·
My sonata limited had the door drain problem on the rear driver door only and after looking and comparing the gasket in the passenger side, it looks like the drain holes are in a different position. I was able to use a small set of scissors to make the drain holes slightly bigger which has solved the issue.

#112 ·
I concur with this assessment 100%. I have two 2020 Sonata SEL's/w Convenience Pkg. Identical cars except for color. One was purchased in January 2020 (White) and the other August 2020 Portofino Gray). The white one has the rear door drain problem on both rear doors with the rear driver door being the worst and passenger rear door minimal. The gray one has zero drain problems even after hard driving rain. The only difference I can see is the drain holes in the rubber door gasket appear to be pinched thereby not allowing proper drainage on the doors that have the drain problem. It is almost like the drain holes are not in the right place on the doors that don't drain properly or the gasket was not installed properly.

#119 ·
I bought an Elantra and I just discovered the same issue, specifically on the passenger side. I took it to the dealer and they say it’s normal as long as water don’t actually get into the car. Still worried about it specially living in Massachusetts knowing it will retain salt and water in that areas. We’re you able to fix the issue?