Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
when i installed the rear camera, i pulled off the lower part of the door seal. i had it on/off a few times, so i could close the door, and go take a nap. a couple days ago, i powerwashed the car, and the right side, which i did not touch, did leak out some water, but the left side was dry. ima keep my eye on it, and perhaps if it stays dry, i can get a part time job at hyundai

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have any found a solution to door drain issue with the 2020 Sonata Limited. It rained a lot here Fayetteville NC the last few days and my car captured a lot of water between the door and the body frame of the car. I had to remember to go outside and open the doors to release the water. Thanks for any and all responses

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have any found a solution to door drain issue with the 2020 Sonata Limited. It rained a lot here Fayetteville NC the last few days and my car captured a lot of water between the door and the body frame of the car. I had to remember to go outside and open the doors to release the water. Thanks for any and all responses
I'm playing a game of "Which one of these is not like the other?" to try and see if I can determine why one door has the issue and the others do not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm playing a game of "Which one of these is not like the other?" to try and see if I can determine why one door has the issue and the others do not.
Door drain issue.jpg Check to see if your vehicle has this "defect". Might be one way water is getting in the door.
Anyway, in the photo to the left of my finger, there was a small area (maybe 1") where the rubber was not fully seated in the track along the chrome strip. This is at the top corner of the door. It was noticeably different on the door that has (had?) the issue than the doors that did not. Yesterday, I seated it properly to match the other doors. It rained last night and we got a heavy downpour this morning. I just checked it and "voila" no pouring of water at the bottom.

This wouldn't explain why water is getting trapped at the bottom of the door, but just maybe how it is getting in the door?

UPDATE: Ugh! Today I ran the hose only in the space in the bottom chrome strip (See post #51 in this thread) and the water did get dammed in the door. A few observations, however. When I run the hose nozzle on low in just that area while the door is open water does come out both of the weep holes in the door AND the weep holes in the weatherstripping. I believe what is happening is the water coming from the weep holes in the weatherstripping is getting trapped. Not sure how to fix it. The chrome strip part is now at my dealership. Maybe this will prevent water from getting in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 447343 Check to see if your vehicle has this "defect". Might be one way water is getting in the door.
Anyway, in the photo to the left of my finger, there was a small area (maybe 1") where the rubber was not fully seated in the track along the chrome strip. This is at the top corner of the door. It was noticeably different on the door that has (had?) the issue than the doors that did not. Yesterday, I seated it properly to match the other doors. It rained last night and we got a heavy downpour this morning. I just checked it and "voila" no pouring of water at the bottom.

This wouldn't explain why water is getting trapped at the bottom of the door, but just maybe how it is getting in the door?
View attachment 447343

UPDATE: Ugh! Today I ran the hose only in the space in the bottom chrome strip (See post #51 in this thread) and the water did get dammed in the door. I few observations, however. When I run the hose nozzle on low in just that area while the door is open water does come out both of the weep holes in the door AND the weep holes in the weatherstripping. I believe what is happening is the water coming from the weep holes in the weatherstripping is getting trapped. Not sure how to fix it. The chrome strip part is now at my dealership. Maybe this will prevent water from getting in?
The same area looks suspect on mine as well. Re-seated and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited in Calypso Red
18 Posts
Those of you following already have your Sonata - but I haven't made any deals yet. I'm just curious, for those with the problem, if you feel it would have been a deal breaker had you known about it before?
Absolutely not a deal-breaker. I LOVE this car and am so glad I bought it. Are there things I would change? Well of course, but none of which made me think twice. No car will be 100% perfect. But I can attest despite the small issues I have with it (such as the advance track button is down and not up), none have made me question the purchase. Saying that please know that everyone has there own opinion on what is important to them. My important must-haves were technological aspects. It has all of the tech I wanted in a car and is affordable. I so much love driving on the highway and not having to do much steering or peddling. The car literally drives itself (as long as there are lines on the road). Blindspot cameras, full vehicle video, heads-up display, huge touch screen, heated and A/C seats, and so on. But you have to decide what is important to you. I paid extra for the premium specs. Not everyone wants or needs it.

But, if you test drive one that has the water issue, try to use that to get a better price. I love the dealership games and haggling.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
19 Posts
But, if you test drive one that has the water issue, try to use that to get a better price. I love the dealership games and haggling.
Well the one I picked up Monday didn't have any water in the door. But they detailed it so it was probably cleared of any standing water then. And I keep it in the garage...I'm I've been working remote since March, so I haven't parked outside in awhile. It'll be some time before I even put it to the test. But I can live it with it if it does do it. Love the car!

81 - 87 of 87 Posts