Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had water again after Saturday's heavy rain. Nothing gets in the cabin, but it seems silly to have to remember to open the door after a heavy period of rain to drain it.
While I haven’t experienced this yet, this sounds like a design issue that a car manufacture is willing to live with as cost to repair is minimal versus recalls. The 2021 design will probably address this. Just guessing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all...I know the door gap seems to be what people are looking at, but something I just noticed might play into this issue (and the wind sound issue) (ps I posted this in the wind sound forum just in case it is causing both issues). I went outside today and noticed something strange, the drivers side blind spot window was popped out just a bit. I was able to push it in and pop it out just a small amount easily. This also connect to the door seal area which could be acting as a funnel for all of the water. I bet air pressure change would cause this to happen on it's own. Anyone else want to see if yours has the same issue?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited in Calypso Red
18 Posts
My Sonata has the rear door drain problem as well. It holds water in it quite well. Rained several days ago, and just opened the rear doors today and out came a substantial amount of water. I will ask the dealer when they fix the Smart Park recall issue. I imagine if not fixed, mildew will occur and that smell is awful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had my car in today for this. Hyundai ordered two rear door weatherstripping . I was only having an issue with one side, but they replaced both. They did not replace the chrome strip with the noticeable gap that I posted earlier in this thread. That part is on back-order. Hopefully, what they replaced will do the trick. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
417 Posts
I had my car in today for this. Hyundai ordered two rear door weatherstripping . I was only having an issue with one side, but they replaced both. They did not replace the chrome strip with the noticeable gap that I posted earlier in this thread. That part is on back-order. Hopefully, what they replaced will do the trick. Stay tuned...
I may have missed this but has this reached TSB status? Or, at least, will this be something we can go to our service department and they will be able to find something in their computer that says it's a solution?

Just trying to determine how much explanation I might have to provide. Thanks!

P.S. Hope it solves the problem! That would be great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just took mine through the car wash yesterday and no water in the doors. My car was manufactured late January ,i wonder if they made a change at some point in the weather stripping.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited in Calypso Red
18 Posts
That is good to hear. I will ask for the recall, weatherstripping, and oil change on my next service.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is good to hear. I will ask for the recall, weatherstripping, and oil change on my next service.
The jury is still out on the weatherstripping. We haven't had a significant rain event yet to test it out.
I have my doubts that it fixed the issue, but will let you know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Update: Hyundai received the videos and pictures I sent them and they contacted my dealership to order a new Belt Molding to replace the one that has the gap. I'll report back when (it won't be any time soon) it gets installed and if is a fix for the water issue.
UPDATE:
The dealership (per Hyundai's instructions) installed new weatherstripping on BOTH rear doors, the weatherstripping is between the door and the car. I was only having an issue with the rear driver's side door. I did not request these to be replaced or ordered, but much to my surprise when I picked up the car these are what were replaced. I can report that I STILL have the water issue. I've reported this to Hyundai.
Interestingly, the Belt Molding that I wanted replaced (refer to my video where I believe the water is getting in) was on back order and not replaced. I now have a part # for reference: 83210-L1000. The part is now in stock and will be installed once the TSB is available for the wind noise issue.
I'll report back once it has been installed.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
19 Posts
I test drove a Limited yesterday. Before the test drive, I was doing the walk around and when we opened the first rear door, water gushed out (exactly like A440's shorter video from 3/24/20). We opened the other rear door and it too had the water issue. We pointed to the puddles on the ground to the salesman but he hasn't heard of the issue.

He claimed to have washed the exterior prior to me arriving to drive it, but the car didn't look clean. So it was either fresh water from him rinsing it, or standing water from the last heavy rains last week.

I asked to open up another car that appeared to have been sitting on the lot awhile - no issues with it

Today I went back, and opened up two cars on the lot. First one, no issue...but it was brand new to the lot and may not have been washed or sat in rain yet. The other had one dry door and then some droplets of water on the door sill of the other door (but no waterfall).

Those of you following already have your Sonata - but I haven't made any deals yet. I'm just curious, for those with the problem, if you feel it would have been a deal breaker had you known about it before? I didn't smell any mildew in the cars with the issue on the lot, and I usually open the doors immediately after a wash to clean the back seats, so water would drain away. I'm just trying to think about how this may or may not be a deal breaker. Feedback appreciated.

TYIA,
Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
I test drove a Limited yesterday. Before the test drive, I was doing the walk around and when we opened the first rear door, water gushed out (exactly like A440's shorter video from 3/24/20). We opened the other rear door and it too had the water issue. We pointed to the puddles on the ground to the salesman but he hasn't heard of the issue.

He claimed to have washed the exterior prior to me arriving to drive it, but the car didn't look clean. So it was either fresh water from him rinsing it, or standing water from the last heavy rains last week.

I asked to open up another car that appeared to have been sitting on the lot awhile - no issues with it

Today I went back, and opened up two cars on the lot. First one, no issue...but it was brand new to the lot and may not have been washed or sat in rain yet. The other had one dry door and then some droplets of water on the door sill of the other door (but no waterfall).

Those of you following already have your Sonata - but I haven't made any deals yet. I'm just curious, for those with the problem, if you feel it would have been a deal breaker had you known about it before? I didn't smell any mildew in the cars with the issue on the lot, and I usually open the doors immediately after a wash to clean the back seats, so water would drain away. I'm just trying to think about how this may or may not be a deal breaker. Feedback appreciated.

TYIA,
Rob
Not a deal breaker. I really enjoy the car. However, IMHO I expect not to have this issue for a car after writing a check for $35,000.

·
Registered
21 Posts

TYIA,
Rob
did you happen to notice the manufacture date?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a fairly early build and don't have the wind noise or door drain issue so build date isn't an indicator. That some have it and some don't means it's an assembly issue and not a design issue. There aren't a lot of us on this forum to figure out whether this affects a small or large number of cars. Because it's an assembly issue the issue(s) can be resolved. Knowing what I know now I'd make sure the particular Sonata I wanted to buy didn't have either of the two issues. There's no scarcity of Hyundai dealers or Sonata's so find one that doesn't make wind noise or make puddles on the ground before you buy it.

·
Registered
65 Posts

TYIA,
Rob
Not a deal breaker. Have had mine since 12/6/19 and haven't any issues aside from it holding water in the rear doors. It's not that big of a deal because it's just myself and my Fiancée, so we don't use the back doors much unless we take our 2 dogs somewhere. I do have the habit of opening the doors after a rain to see how much water is held in them though. Even after a ton of rain, it has never leaked into the car. So... I guess that is a plus. With that being said, love my Limited and get a ton of compliments on it. Inside and out. Even in 2020 people still say... "I can't believe that is a Hyundai."

61 - 80 of 87 Posts