Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, I also called my dealer, this woman was awesome, she said they have not had any issues that she is aware of, however, she will have the Tech remove the Door Panel behind the driver side, she has seen this issue on other Car brands. The Black Tar that holds the Vapor Barrier, if it gets twisted when it was applied, the water can dam up and not get down to the holes to drain properly, now that makes sense!!

So for now, I will wait for are first service appointment, she said it would take about 2-hours to diagnose the issue if that is the case.
Maybe some tweets will light a fire to get this addressed? Anyone want to start the spark?
Tweet Hyundai

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have taken my car back to the dealership and there is nothing they can do because the problem is a manufacturer issue. My Hyundai dealership is sympathetic to my issue but this problem is above their ability to fix. It's a shame that I have remember to open my rear door to drain the water every time it rains. The water is bad and the heavier the rain the more water is captured in the door. Hyundai need to fix this issue now

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have taken my car back to the dealership and there is nothing they can do because the problem is a manufacturer issue. My Hyundai dealership is sympathetic to my issue but this problem is above their ability to fix. It's a shame that I have remember to open my rear door to drain the water every time it rains. The water is bad and the heavier the rain the more water is captured in the door. Hyundai need to fix this issue now
Please make sure this gets escalated to Hyundai consumer affairs. There should eventually be a TSB if enough tickets are created and documented from the dealerships.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sent this to Hyundai Customer Affairs (feel free to copy and paste):
"Rear driver door does not allow water to drain properly after a heavy rain. Water gets trapped at the bottom of the door. This seems to be another manufacturing issue and the dealership does not have a fix.
Please also escalate this issue to Hyundai engineering for a fix and TSB"

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL
37 Posts
My Sonata SEL, assemble date Jan 30th 2020, has an issue with the door seal on the rear driver side door. It takes multiple tries to shut the door compared to any of the other doors. Also the same water retention like others after rains / car washes. How can I post a message directly to Hyundai to get their attention?

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
215 Posts
My Sonata SEL, assemble date Jan 30th 2020, has an issue with the door seal on the rear driver side door. It takes multiple tries to shut the door compared to any of the other doors. Also the same water retention like others after rains / car washes. How can I post a message directly to Hyundai to get their attention?
Contact them via their website. It'll open a case. There's a number you can call as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sent this to Hyundai Customer Affairs (feel free to copy and paste):
"Rear driver door does not allow water to drain properly after a heavy rain. Water gets trapped at the bottom of the door. This seems to be another manufacturing issue and the dealership does not have a fix.
Please also escalate this issue to Hyundai engineering for a fix and TSB"

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
304 Posts
Here is a video link of the issue (click on the link). Yesterday it rain all day. I'll try and send it to my dealership and Hyundai.
Thanks for posting this. Now I know exactly what you mean. I will pay attention and see if I have or don't have this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hyundai corporate did get back to me. They sent the video to a FSE (Field service engineer). They wanted to know if the interior was getting was getting wet or if I knew how the water was getting in the door. I let them know the dealership ran a hose over the car and couldn't reproduce the issue. I have no idea how the water is getting in the car, that is why I sent them the video. I am a musician, not a mechanic :)
I would recommend they run a car of their own through a car wash several times and see if they can ascertain what is happening.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your having the water in the door issue, see if you have a 3/16" gap of weatherstripping where the window meets the chrome strip on the rear door (see picture). I only have it on the rear driver's side door, the door with the issue.
It would also be good to know if folks that are NOT having this issue have the gap.
I'm just trying to do Hyundai's job for them, apparently. ;)
Gap measurement 2020 Sonata 3 16ths of and inch rear driver door.jpg

YouTube link to issue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the problem all or nothing? Meaning, either you get the torrent of water shown in the video or you don't have the problem at all? I've followed this thread casually thinking if I had the problem I'd know it and if all that water pouring out is the problem I can safely say I don't have it. The car wash I use is pretty powerful so if there was a place for water to get in it would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have the water problem but I do not not seem to have that amount of gap (it seems about equal to the other doors)...Even if that was the case...there seems to be way too much water coming out when I open the door for that to be the problem. But I am not a car engineer either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is the problem all or nothing? Meaning, either you get the torrent of water shown in the video or you don't have the problem at all? I've followed this thread casually thinking if I had the problem I'd know it and if all that water pouring out is the problem I can safely say I don't have it. The car wash I use is pretty powerful so if there was a place for water to get in it would.
I would all. Every time we have a day or night of steady rain I notice it when I open the door the next day.
Curious if you have the gap I mentioned in the most recent posting?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
52 Posts
Every door with a window that rolls down gets water inside. There are holes at the bottom of the door that let this water out. It looks like these holes are outside the seal at the bottom of the door sill. Even if the door holding water were the case, you would get a couple streams of water from the door itself when you open it. The couple times I've caught mine releasing this water, it seems like it's all in one go.
It's like the seal under the door sill is holding up the water, but that seal goes all the way to the front of the front door so why doesn't the front door collect unless there's just a low spot right there?

More testing is required. 👨‍🔧

·
Registered
163 Posts
Update: Hyundai received the videos and pictures I sent them and they contacted my dealership to order a new Belt Molding to replace the one that has the gap. I'll report back when (it won't be any time soon) it gets installed and if is a fix for the water issue.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata SEL
37 Posts
I received an official Hyundai Motor America feedback survey today which was incredibly detailed and asked for feedback on every aspect of the 2020 Sonata I recently bought.
@A440 I included a link to your YouTube video and also described in great detail the rear driver side door drain issue.
I also included feedback around wind noise at highway speed which some of us (not all) have experiences on this forum.

The survey covered engineering, trim, interior, exterior, engine, transmission, paint and a variety of other details. It took me approx 25minutes to compete.
It was very different to the post new car purchase survey which I’ve already filled out from Hyundai.

Hopefully this helps us all in some way with highlighting the drain issue.

My suggestions included the annoying issue with no inside trunk grab handle when closing the trunk.
Also the glossy plastic around the gear as well as exterior gloss around rims posing a risk of getting scratches over time

41 - 60 of 67 Posts