Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
304 Posts
After washing my car at a commercial car wash, I paid attention when I opened the driver-rear door and didn't notice any unusual discharge of water. The frame was wet but not a lot of water. It's the type where you dry the car yourself. Maybe the air dryers at the end of the wash took care of it??

I don't think I'll be able to test it in rain for a long time... no rain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I test drove a 2020 Limited today. When I opened the back door, water poured out. It caught me by surprise because it was a nice day. (I still loved the car!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Sonata and after a heavy rain the driver side rear door drains a large amount of water upon opening. None of the other doors do this, just wondering if anyone else had similar issues. Plan on taking it into the dealership the first day I'm able.
My 2020 Sonata Limited has the same problem. The water seems to collect inside the rubber seal and then drains out when the door is opened. There are drain holes in the bottom where the door seals. The water somehow is getting into the seal. They certainly need to issue a recall and fix for this. I have owned a Sonata for many years, this is a first for this problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 2020 Sonata Limited has the same problem. The water seems to collect inside the rubber seal and then drains out when the door is opened. There are drain holes in the bottom where the door seals. The water somehow is getting into the seal. They certainly need to issue a recall and fix for this. I have owned a Sonata for many years, this is a first for this problem.
Who would like to start a ticket with Hyundai, and follow-up with their dealership to get the ball rolling? I mentioned the issue when getting the wind noise checked and the tech didn't mention any other vehicles having the problem. But, I decided to focus on one issue for now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed something a little concerning related to this issue this morning. It has been very cold overnight here the past few nights and we have had some rain during the day. When I opened the driver's side rear door this morning there was a piece of ice probably 8" long by 4" wide. You would hope as the water freezes and expands a little that it would just push it further up the door jamb but I wonder if there could potentially be damage to the door seal if the ice were to freeze to it and you open the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I noticed something a little concerning related to this issue this morning. It has been very cold overnight here the past few nights and we have had some rain during the day. When I opened the driver's side rear door this morning there was a piece of ice probably 8" long by 4" wide. You would hope as the water freezes and expands a little that it would just push it further up the door jamb but I wonder if there could potentially be damage to the door seal if the ice were to freeze to it and you open the door.
I noticed ice in the door seal this morning. Definitely going to go back to the dealer and get a ticket written up on it. At least have it documented for now.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
304 Posts
Definitely strange its only the rear driver's side. Improperly installed or defective seal...?
When I was test driving the car, I noticed the salesman had to shut the rear driver's side door twice at one point and something about it stuck in my head. It seemed like it should have shut the first time. Now that I have the car, it does seem like the rear driver's side door must be closed more forcefully than the passenger side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To offer some hope I don't have any drainage issues or window/mirror noise issues either. I did lose all my Freon to a folded o-ring when the A/C hoses weren't connected properly during assembly. You spin the wheel and take your chances. These aren't handcrafted gems. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a service appointment tomorrow. This is one of a couple issues that will be checked. I'll report back if the tech finds anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a service appointment tomorrow. This is one of a couple issues that will be checked. I'll report back if the tech finds anything.
Hi Paul, Please do let me know, show them my picture, I believe you are in NC. What dealer are you going to?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Sonata and after a heavy rain the driver side rear door drains a large amount of water upon opening. None of the other doors do this, just wondering if anyone else had similar issues. Plan on taking it into the dealership the first day I'm able.
I have a 2020 limited (we call it the storm trooper edition) with the exact same problem. After a snow storm we opened the driver side passenger door and about 3 glasses of water came out. Something is definitely wrong here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2020 limited (we call it the storm trooper edition) with the exact same problem. After a snow storm we opened the driver side passenger door and about 3 glasses of water came out. Something is definitely wrong here.
My wife told the service desk guy today about the water issue and he replied "I don't know what you want us to do about it. It sounds like a bad design". I let my contact at Hyundai Consumer Affairs know of this and will also let the service manager know. So far, we're not off to a positive start with getting this issue address.
Maybe some more tickets from forum members and squeaky wheels will help?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I use to live in NH. If that ice's up, that can't be good for opening and closing door!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just called Hyundai, what a joke, the guy was an idiot to say the least, first comment from them, Hyundai does not believe what is on the internet! They said to bring the car to the dealer, sad but true I have heard bad things about their Consumer Relations not being sympathetic or helpful.

This dude did not have a good bedside manner, at least he could acknowledge and say we will look into the manner,
he offered Jack Zero!!:mad: That type of customer service really P-me off, now I have a bad taste in my mouth regarding CS.

Time will tell, we need others to call
  • By Phone. (844) 462-5557. Monday to Friday. 6:00 am – 5:00 pm PST.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just called Hyundai, what a joke, the guy was an idiot to say the least, first comment from them, Hyundai does not believe what is on the internet! They said to bring the car to the dealer, sad but true I have heard bad things about their Consumer Relations not being sympathetic or helpful.

This dude did not have a good bedside manner, at least he could acknowledge and say we will look into the manner,
he offered Jack Zero!!:mad: That type of customer service really P-me off, now I have a bad taste in my mouth regarding CS.

Time will tell, we need others to call
  • By Phone. (844) 462-5557. Monday to Friday. 6:00 am – 5:00 pm PST.
Start a ticket, reference the number when making your appointment. It's a process and everything needs to be document and everyone needs to get paid and justify their job. Depending on who you reach at Hyundai YMMV. I've had both helpful reps and some not so much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I have a case#, when I asked, his name is Shawn, he said giving the cs# to Dealer will not do anything, serious, this guy did not even say thanking for calling Hyundai!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, I also called my dealer, this woman was awesome, she said they have not had any issues that she is aware of, however, she will have the Tech remove the Door Panel behind the driver side, she has seen this issue on other Car brands. The Black Tar that holds the Vapor Barrier, if it gets twisted when it was applied, the water can dam up and not get down to the holes to drain properly, now that makes sense!!

So for now, I will wait for are first service appointment, she said it would take about 2-hours to diagnose the issue if that is the case.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts