Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2020 Sonata and after a heavy rain the driver side rear door drains a large amount of water upon opening. None of the other doors do this, just wondering if anyone else had similar issues. Plan on taking it into the dealership the first day I'm able.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a few cars have this problem. I remember people saying the new style Toyota Camry was doing the same thing.

I pick up my 2020 Sonata Limited this week. I will have to report back if we get any rain later on in the week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a few cars have this problem. I remember people saying the new style Toyota Camry was doing the same thing.

I pick up my 2020 Sonata Limited this week. I will have to report back if we get any rain later on in the week.
I'm a Toyota Tech and I haven't seen any kind of issues in my region, not saying they don't exist I just haven't experienced it. I hope it's a proper fix and not some kind of hack. Hopefully Hyundai issues a TSB with proper remediation soon.

PS- Let me know how the Limited is when you get it!

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Tahoe has this problem. Water is retained inside the door until you pull out the weatherstripping. Not sure how this problem can be resolved with the Sonata but keep us up to date!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Sonata and after a heavy rain the driver side rear door drains a large amount of water upon opening. None of the other doors do this, just wondering if anyone else had similar issues. Plan on taking it into the dealership the first day I'm able.
There are small weep holes in the inside door panel below the weather strip. See if those got blocked. Also, the window bottom seal may be bad allowing excessive water to enter the door. Check to see if it's a good seal on the window.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you mean the water drains out from the bottom of the door?
If this is what you mean then the weather seal surrounding the door is likely covering the door drains when the rubber is compressed against the bottom of the door. If this is what is happening you can run a hose over the outside of the window with the door open to identify the drain holes and check the proximity of the weatherseal to the drain holes. You can also close the door and do it again and then look quickly or use a mirror to see where water is draining from. If you don't know what is actually happening and take it to the dealer they will likely blow you off and will not do anything until you get water in your car when the door fills up with water.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PS- Let me know how the Limited is when you get it!

Love it. BOSE Stereo is a huge upgrade compared to the Infinity Stereo my 2015 Limited had. This thing has so much tech. Read some people think it's overload... but I don't. Nice having two phones paired. Fiancée can be paired up to the car and play music phone her phone while I drive. The **** thing can drive itself. I was very impressed by how well it stayed on course around bends and turns of the interstate. Drove 100+miles home from the dealership Friday night and driving mostly 78 mph home, I got 35mpg. The ambient lighting that runs in the cabin is a nice touch. It's not in your face but you know it's there. Vents may look small but they really put out the air. Gonna be nice when it gets really cold this winter. Having remote start on the key fob is nice. Also, glad the key fob is no longer that ugly brown color.

Only downfalls... Wish it still had heated rear seats and also the Window shades in the rear seats. There is a little wind noise in the cabin when driving 70+mph... but not much worse than other cars I've been in. Driving around town I don't notice any sound. The BIGGEST downfall though is the Light Gray headliner that comes with the Black Leather seats. Why?!?!?!? Should have 100% stayed with the Black Headliner when having Black seats. As a guy who kind of has OCD over this stuff.... it bugs me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had the same issue, with the same door today. When I opened it, the water poured out.
Did you take it to the dealership yet?
I will start a ticket with Hyundai.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to the dealership yesterday and made sure that it was documented. The technicians said it was normal. I don’t care, as long as corrosion doesn't occur and there is a record of it. Also blue link is having issues apparently because my system hasn’t been working for remote starts/access. They said to wait a few more weeks to see if Hyundai can resolve the overwhelming amount of new users. ?‍♂

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took it to the dealership yesterday and made sure that it was documented. The technicians said it was normal. I don’t care, as long as corrosion doesn't occur and there is a record of it. Also blue link is having issues apparently because my system hasn’t been working for remote starts/access. They said to wait a few more weeks to see if Hyundai can resolve the overwhelming amount of new users. ?‍♂
So they said it’s normal for the door to fill with water, think I’d find a new dealer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Engine knocking? Normal. Excessive oil consumption? Normal. Water in the door? Normal. As long as your car still drives and they are not safety or operational issues, everything is normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Kicker,

My wife the other day said she saw water coming out like a rush after a heavy rain, on the same Door you mention. Our 2020 was made on
Dec 9th, 2019. Please let us know if Hyundai finds a solution?

Thanks
B-

·
Registered
23 Posts
First rain coming for mine on Friday. Can't wait :\
Good news, the water does not get into the car .Also suppose to rain Friday in North Carolina. I will check it out since only my wife has seen the water as she opens the driver side door when getting home!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all---

After getting 1.5 inches of rain last Friday in North Carolina, when my wife got home, I had her pull in the Garage to see if Water rushes out when opening driver rear door. When I did open slow, just a little bit of water came out. I then checked the drain holes on the rubber gasket, they were open. Then I decided to push on that rubber gasket, just a little more water came out behind the gasket, not from the holes on the rubber. There is also 2 areas on same door that has drain holes, nothing was coming out from them.

Long story short, I believe we should be ok. Time will tell.

Thanks
B-

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi all---

After getting 1.5 inches of rain last Friday in North Carolina, when my wife got home, I had her pull in the Garage to see if Water rushes out when opening driver rear door. When I did open slow, just a little bit of water came out. I then checked the drain holes on the rubber gasket, they were open. Then I decided to push on that rubber gasket, just a little more water came out behind the gasket, not from the holes on the rubber. There is also 2 areas on same door that has drain holes, nothing was coming out from them.

Thanks
B-
I also had water again after Saturday's heavy rain. Nothing gets in the cabin, but it seems silly to have to remember to open the door after a heavy period of rain to drain it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi all---

Thanks
B-
My car was in this same rain all day and when I opened my rear driver-side door I'd say maybe a 1/4 cup of water drained out. Non event for sure.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts