Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is regarding the ISG system. After driving around for a bit, whenever I am at a traffic light the engine turns off as expected. It is when I take my foot off the brake that I see very inconsistent behavior.

On certain occasions, engine starts up -> electronic parking brake releases -> vehicle slowly starts rolling forward and I was told by the dealer that this is the expected behavior.
On other occasions, engine starts up -> immediately jumps forward, almost rear ending vehicles infront of me.
I also found this jump forward dangerous when I am yielding to oncoming traffic while turning left. If I release the brake assuming the vehicle goes through the expected behavior mentioned above and it doesn't, I am definitely going into the oncoming traffic.

I brought it to the dealer, they had it for a week and sent it back saying the vehicle is operating as per the spec. I drove around 2 different technicians from the dealership demonstrating the problem, they agree that they identify it is an issue, but then they come back to me later and say that they were unable to replicate any issues.

This has been very annoying and I've had this vehicle only for 2 months as of this writing. Wondering if anybody else in the community saw this issue and if they found any fix for this.

I've searched the 2019+ Santafe forum (TM (2019+) Santa Fe) with various keywords, but didn't find any relevant content. Hence this post about the vehicle jumping forward upon auto restart.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
1,999 Posts
Turn off the ISG after every start and you won’t have this annoyance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn off the ISG after every start and you won’t have this annoyance.
I have considered it and while that is possible, I am worried about the odd case where I forget to do it, only to find it too late to turn it off and get involved in a collision.

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Sport 2.4; 2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0t
14 Posts
I have a 2020 2.0T Limited (for just a few weeks now) and haven't experienced the 'jump' behavior you described. In fact, the auto start in my Santa Fe is probably the smoothest of all the cars I've driven. I agree it sounds like an issue in your car. Presumably, the AEB/Forward Collision system would prevent a collision, but I don't know if the AEB is active immediately from a start, so can't say for sure.
If you can't get the issue resolved, you may want to test the AEB performance in a safe environment (setup a fake collision situation with a cone, empty plastic barrel, or something like that). I fully agree that it's not desirable to have the behavior you described, and Hyundai should address it, but a test would at least reduce your stress a bit if you knew you could count on the AEB.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T
13 Posts
I noticed that when I first got my car. I found it got better over time (I know how over 9k miles). What I would do when I first had the car, was let up on the brake a bit (while still maintaining pressure) until the engine restarted and then I would press back down. Doing this seemed to solve the issue. I know exactly how you feel though.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate
68 Posts
My 19'SF Ultimate had the forward jerky movement when the engine restarted from Day 1 and still exists today after 2yrs. Dealer said its "normal". Like Ernie said, turn ISG off, or as Goldberg said to lightly release the brake pedal so the engine restarts with some brake contact still there. I personally get in to the habit of turning the Auto-Hold feature ON. When stopped at red light, auto-hold kicks in and helps to prevent the jerkiness when engine resumes. For me, I live in a cold country where we have 7 months of cold weather so ISG hardly kicks in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts