Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Santa Fe and the fuel door has issues. It opens by itself and doesn't lock it seems like. I am able to open the door without pressing on it. I have had the door replaced and it didn't help. It doesn't have a good seal either. It opened once while in a car wash, and I am afraid it will open while driving. Any one else have any issues or can help with this?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
558 Posts
It should lock when the doors of your car are locked. If it's not doing that, get it fixed under warranty. Pressing on the fuel door only causes the button to push it out so it's easier to grab; it doesn't "unlock" the fuel filler door. It would open in the car wash if your doors are unlocked, and the car wash spinners hit the fuel filler door--effectively pushing it in to make it open.

I have the same system on my other car, and if you press in the fuel filler door when the car is locked, once you unlock the car, the fuel door will then pop out. Maybe that's what happened to you in the car wash?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
294 Posts
One thing you don't want to do is close the fuel door after the vehicle doors have been locked.

This is from the owners manual:

"The fuel filler door will not close if the
driver's door is locked. If you lock the
driver's door while fueling, unlock it
before closing the fuel filler door."

What they should also mention is that if you are closing the fuel door when the vehicle doors are locked you may be causing damage to the catch pin or the locking mechanism.

I have never had any problems with my fuel door and all I need to do to close/latch it is give it a little nudge to where the spring takes over. Replacing the door may not help if the catch pin system is damaged or misaligned.

I still prefer having a mechanical latch with a lever in the driver area of the cabin.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE AWD
15 Posts
Re: "It opened once while in a car wash...". I've seen my own car's fuel door open in a "touchless" car wash when the automatic dryer is blowing a stream of air at the car at high speed. I've often wondered if this could damage the fuel door. After the gust of dryer air opens the door, it appears to close the door as the dryer passes along the car (Thank you, Mr. Automatic Car Dryer). I view this little scenario in my side view mirror---it's an odd sight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate gas cover, that was closed after filling fuel tank, sprung open in a touchless car wash, vibrated from the dryer air flow and broke off. Definitely a defective gas cover design. South Trail Hyundai dealership in Calgary refuses to repair the fuel filler cover under warranty. Very disappointed in the poor customer service for a $50,000 vehicle. ;-(

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
898 Posts
The fuel door design was poorly executed. Shouldn't be on the flagship (back in 2019)!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
471 Posts
My new 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate gas cover, that was closed after filling fuel tank, sprung open in a touchless car wash, vibrated from the dryer air flow and broke off. Definitely a defective gas cover design. South Trail Hyundai dealership in Calgary refuses to repair the fuel filler cover under warranty. Very disappointed in the poor customer service for a $50,000 vehicle. ;-(
View attachment 452604
Wow. Refuse to repair???? Contact the dealership owner.

I agree. The fuel door is one of the places they really cheaped out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hyundai is really good as saying no for warranty repairs. There’s no reason for them not to fix this.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
90 Posts
I wouldn't consider that a warranty repair either, Car wash company should be paying for damage to vehicle

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wouldn't consider that a warranty repair either, Car wash company should be paying for damage to vehicle
So applying your logic, Hyundai shouldn’t be liable for water getting in headlight or tail light lenses when going through an automatic car wash either, right?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
90 Posts
So applying your logic, Hyundai shouldn’t be liable for water getting in headlight or tail light lenses when going through an automatic car wash either, right?
Not sure why I am even responding to your idiotic mentality and YOUR logic, ..... nevermind, saving my breath and electrons for more important and intelligent conversations.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
898 Posts
BikeMen's logic is correct. It is unfortunate that the cost will be from the owner.

Do automatic car wash facilities require doors to be locked?

·
Registered
377 Posts
In reality, Hyundai should have designed this part to withstand automatic car washes. If the car wash physically touched the car and damaged it then that is totally on the car wash operator. However, blowing air to dry the vehicle is a normal part of the automatic car wash process. If Hyundai can’t design a part to withstand this normal process then it really is on them to design it better. Just by looking at the picture it appears the latching mechanism isn’t strong enough to hold the door.

This is nothing new for Hyundai. The shark fin antennas routinely fall off the LF sonata in car washes too.

If the car is too fragile to go through an automatic car wash then Hyundai needs to state in the owners manual not to use automatic car washes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
In reality, Hyundai should have designed this part to withstand automatic car washes. If the car wash physically touched the car and damaged it then that is totally on the car wash operator. However, blowing air to dry the vehicle is a normal part of the automatic car wash process. If Hyundai can’t design a part to withstand this normal process then it really is on them to design it better. Just by looking at the picture it appears the latching mechanism isn’t strong enough to hold the door.

This is nothing new for Hyundai. The shark fin antennas routinely fall off the LF sonata in car washes too.

If the car is too fragile to go through an automatic car wash then Hyundai needs to state in the owners manual not to use automatic car washes.
Yeah ...Thats pretty disapointing to say the least. is it a isolateded case? might be, who knows? or it could be a cable mechanism not functioning properly ? until more come forword? no one knows a lot ? i have not heard of any recent updates on 2020 santa fe's other than some minor engine improvements to the engine. its just to new. to know anything wrong with them Just yet.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
471 Posts
Mine has flown open in the touchless car wash before, but my fuel door didn't suffer any damage.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah ...Thats pretty disapointing to say the least. is it a isolateded case? might be, who knows? or it could be a cable mechanism not functioning properly ? until more come forword? no one knows a lot ? i have not heard of any recent updates on 2020 santa fe's other than some minor engine improvements to the engine. its just to new. to know anything wrong with them Just yet.
Yeah I guess we just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
296 Posts
View attachment 452604
Contact hyundai Canada.....that's not right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2020 Santa Fe and the fuel door has issues. It opens by itself and doesn't lock it seems like. I am able to open the door without pressing on it. I have had the door replaced and it didn't help. It doesn't have a good seal either. It opened once while in a car wash, and I am afraid it will open while driving. Any one else have any issues or can help with this?
Take it to the dealer. Under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts