Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2020 Santa Fe Hyundai showing chrome tarnish on handles and trim. Have been to the dealership several times with this problem. They put 4 new handles only to have the tarnish reappear. Does anyone have this problem with Hyundai chrome? Spoke to representative from Hyundai and as of today they have no solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A picture of your issue may help. We have only had our 2020 Santa Fe Ultimate for a week but I notice what looks like "tarish" on the door handle chrome. I think it's just oil from my figures and it cleans off easily with a microfiber cloth so it may not be the same issue you are referring to.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
294 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
176 Posts

Please check out my post using the link above. No need to run to the dealer for this as you can clean it off in about 5 minutes with minimum effort using the products and methods I recommend.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,542 Posts
Who told you it was chrome?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.4L FWD
4 Posts
The upper trim level has dark color chrome trim. I believe it is supposed to look a bit pitted and tarnished. At least that’s what I am telling myself.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
176 Posts
The upper trim level has dark color chrome trim. I believe it is supposed to look a bit pitted and tarnished. At least that’s what I am telling myself.

Depending on the color of your SF (and perhaps the trim level) you will have regular chrome or the kind of smokey chrome. My SF is Stormy Sea (Blue) and has the smokey chrome on the lower trim and the handles. It's easy to tell because the chrome trim around the windows is regular chrome so you can use it to compare. The smokey chrome isn't supposed to look pitted, but can look a little tarnished or streaky with almost a redish brown color coming out in the streaks. If you have spots (like freckles) that is a sign of crud from car exhaust or other sources sticking to the surface of the vehicle and then oxidizing. In reality it is sticking to the whole car (even the glass) dand discoloring; it just shows up a lot better on the chrome trim. Washing your car will not remove these particles, but a clay bar will. There are several discussions on this topic and I have made product and method suggestions within them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts