Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I purchased a brand new 2020 value edition a few weeks ago based on the rave review my girlfriend gave me of her 2018 model and I love it!

Of course I want to help protect my investment so the next logical step after all weather mats and seat covers is a dash cam.

I’ve purchased the new Thinkware U1000 w/ radar module for parking mode recording and I’m planning on hooking that up to a Cellink NEO backup battery w/ extension to be able to fully utilize the parking mode and protect my car’s battery.

Back when my girlfriend bought her 2018 Elantra SEL, I helped her install a Thinkware F800 w/ the Cellink NEO and I remember there’s not a lot of clearance to hide the batteries except under the passenger seat and she did not feel comfortable hardwiring her setup, so I ran the cable up to the DC charging port which doesn’t look as clean as hardwiring.

For my self, I’d like to hardwire so I was looking at my fuse box diagram and the company I’m purchasing the battery from recommends using a 15 amp fuse or higher even though it only runs in 9 amps for fast charging. I’m assuming that is to minimize the risk of overdrawing current on the feed wiring but the only 2 empty spare fuses are rated at 10 amps, would those be safe to use? I also noticed that there is a 15 amp fuse in my car for rear heated seats even though the value edition doesn’t come equipped with them, does that mean that fuse is unused and free to hook up to?

In addition to my fuse question, any recommendations on where to mount/ hide the Thinkware batteries would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
does the car have a spare tire or just the fix a flat kit? If it has a kit, I would suggest just installing it in the trunk.
There's a lot of room where the spare tire would go.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Thought about a dashcam, ordered one, too complicated to install and would mess up the interior, and somehow got by for 66 years without one. And yes was hit head on, from the side and the rear, absolutely no problems determining the other guy was at fault.

As an engineer, was asked why don't I design my own HiFi system, computer, or TV, just simply replied, you have no idea what the tooling cost or even building a prototype that can cost as much as a thousand times compared to a production model.

If vehicle were made to easily plug in a dash cam, would buy one. When you start doing your own mods, really depreciate the value of your vehicle. Guys that customize really have a hard time trying to find a buyer that has their same taste.

Not to mention, that kills the warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Viofo a129 is a dual channel dashcam, with real good reviews. Its not wireless, so, you'll need to run a wire to the back cam. Decent priced too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They're easy to install. I have a friend who works at Best Buy who installs Car Electronics. A good system can be installed in about 20-30 minutes. If you buy one from them install is free. It will take you longer to set the cam to the settings you want. People overthink the process and that's why they back out of doing it. The trim on the Elantra has plenty of space to hide the wires
I installed a dual system in my 2015 Nissan Frontier in about 40 minutes because I took a break.
Just use You Tube for help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts