Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Just doing an internet search on this question other CVT makes of vehicles have this characteristic of the engine increasing in speed when in cruise mode. One fellow with Subaru stated his does not increase in engine speed if you switch to manual mode in cruise, but will if you leave it in auto.

Does the Elantra have a manual mode with CVT. This would be possible if the driving sheave has a manual controlled width. Not finding much on the internet on this subject as to exactly how a CVT functions.

Is a youtube video as tl why Mazda does not use CVT

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Anybody read the owners manual, "2020 Hyundai Elantra Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT)" is the name given to the CVT. Manual found at:

Page 5-19 explains the operation, does have a manual mode, shift level to the left, does have 8 forward selectable gears, Auto mode will shift on its own.

Also has a selectable normal or sports mode. Could try manual 8 gear in normal mode to learn if RPM remains constant in cruise mode.

Just because its an auto transmission, no law you have to leave it D, we are constantly changing gears in our 6 speed to obtain the best fuel economy, have an indicator for that, and shifting down to save on burning up the brakes. But depressing the gas, pedal with practice,saves on gear shifting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My trip continued on. I drove without cruise control on for an additional 200 miles and averaged 41.7 mpg. Which brings me back to the rpm increase. At 700 rpm increase there would you would have to use more fuel to have the additional cylinder firings.
Yes, you are right. If there is an increase in RPM, your mpg goes down. And if this is how the IVT is behaving, I believe it is bad news. Hyundai hopefully comes up with a software fix.
This is first time I am hearing a CVT doing this.I have driven Corollas and Altimas before, they did not do this. I'm sure Civics does not do this as well.:/

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Find the cruise control in our 2017 Limited to be rather aggressive in auto with a six speed transmission. Just going up a mild incline will downshift in the 5th or even 4th.

Wife didn't like this at all our last car didn't do this, sure didn't, you had to hit the clutch first and manually downshift. When the Elantra down shifts by itself, engine really roars.

All we had to do was to move the shift lever to the left in manual mode, dash showed the gear we were in, and the car would not downshift anymore going up an incline.

Looks the the CVT also has a manual mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Find the cruise control in our 2017 Limited to be rather aggressive in auto with a six speed transmission. Just going up a mild incline will downshift in the 5th or even 4th.

Wife didn't like this at all our last car didn't do this, sure didn't, you had to hit the clutch first and manually downshift. When the Elantra down shifts by itself, engine really roars.

All we had to do was to move the shift lever to the left in manual mode, dash showed the gear we were in, and the car would not downshift anymore going up an incline.

Looks the the CVT also has a manual mode.
Thats a good tip. I did not try to downshift on manual mode while on cruise. Will try it out. Thanks :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just doing an internet search on this question other CVT makes of vehicles have this characteristic of the engine increasing in speed when in cruise mode. One fellow with Subaru stated his does not increase in engine speed if you switch to manual mode in cruise, but will if you leave it in auto.

Does the Elantra have a manual mode with CVT. This would be possible if the driving sheave has a manual controlled width. Not finding much on the internet on this subject as to exactly how a CVT functions.

Is a youtube video as tl why Mazda does not use CVT
Does anyone on this forum know if Hyundai actually looks at any of these complaints? If not, why not?

·
Registered
721 Posts
...At 8th gear, the rpm surprisingly doesn't even get above 2200 when driving at 75mph on cruise control...

...I think I'm putting a lot of stress on the electrical for doing that so might switch to manual when getting on ramp...
It's cute that Hyundai is putting a virtual gear number on the display. I wish they wouldn't. It's misleading.

I wouldn't worry about "stress on the electrical." The electronics in this vehicle are always engaged, you are just adding manual input to the other inputs that are already there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone already sent a complaint to NHTSA about this cruise control engine rev. Also, 3 complaint on a fail CVT already. One comment stated the dealer said his car was the 15th elantra with fail cvt (See the comment below)!! I would assume this is a bit exaggerated. But still, let say 1/3 of this number is real which is 5 cars. This is a significant issue.

I got over 7700 miles on mine already, but probably cuz I drove 95% highway. The car engine start getting louder on highway after my 2nd oil change (200 miles ago). I'm still doing the "get on highway then change to manual and 8th gear" to engage cruise control. Finger crossed multiple times that I would get this car over 100k miles with no engine nor cvt issue.

So weird that the sister car, the 2020 Kia Forte, got literally no complaint though they have the same engine and CVT. Wondering if Kia tweak things a bit and did not tell Hyundai or it's just there are more Elantra buyer?

"
February 23, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11310831
Components: ENGINE, POWER TRAIN

NHTSA ID Number: 11310831
Incident Date February 20, 2020
Consumer Location KEYPORT, NJ
Vehicle Identification Number 5NPD84LF5LH****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
2/20/2020 - I WAS DRIVING MY NEW 2020 ELANTRA (LESS THAN 5,000 MILES ON IT) AND I NOTICED THE CAR WAS NOT ACCELERATING SMOOTHLY. THE RPM NEEDLE WAS REVVING ABNORMALLY WHENEVER I TRIED TO ACCELERATE. WHEN I PRESSED THE GAS FROM A DEAD STOP THE CAR WOULD SHUTTER BEFORE ACCELERATING. ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK THE SAME DAY I WAS HAVING THE SAME ISSUES BUT AS I MERGED (TURNING) ONTO A HIGHWAY THE CAR SUDDENLY STOPPED ACCELERATING ALL TOGETHER AND I WAS NOT ABLE TO GO MORE THAN 10-20 MPH. SINCE IT WAS AT A MERGE THERE WAS ALMOST A COLLISION, BUT I WAS ABLE TO PULL OVER BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENED. 2/21/2020- THE NEXT DAY WHILE I WAS AT WORK MY HUSBAND TRIED TO DRIVE MY CAR TO THE DEALER. HE EXPERIENCED THE SAME ISSUES AND WHEN HE GOT TO THE DEALERSHIP HE WAS UNABLE TO TURN THE CAR INTO THE SERVICE STATION BECAUSE THE CAR WOULD NOT ACCELERATE. SERVICE WORKERS HAD TO PUSH THE CAR INTO THE BAY TO BE LOOKED AT. THE EMPLOYEE TOLD US THIS WAS ABOUT THE 15TH 2020 ELANTRA THEY HAVE SEEN WITH THE SAME TRANSMISSION ISSUE. NO EMERGENCY LIGHTS CAME ON IN THE CAR DURING EITHER INCIDENTS. SINCE NO LIGHTS CAME ON DURING THE INCIDENT, I WAS VERY HESITANT TO DRIVE THE CAR AGAIN.
1 Affected Product

61 - 68 of 68 Posts