Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't you think that if you were just pressing the gas and going xxx vs having the cruise control set at the same speed the rpm's would be the same?
Well that's not what happens in my 2020 Elantra Value Edition.

What happens when you put it into cruise is the rpm's go up!

Another thing, I had the cruise set to 75 mph (About 2750 rpm) and I pressed on the gas to go 80 MPH. As I was pressing on the gas I
watched my tachometer go down to around 2250 rpm!!!

So far no one at the Hyundai dealership has been able to answer why.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing, I had the cruise set to 75 mph (About 2750 rpm)
and I pressed on the gas to go 80 MPH. As I was pressing on
the gas I watched my tachometer go down to around 2250 rpm!!
Meant to say the tach went down to 2500 when I went 80 mph.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is not possible for the RPMs to be different going at the same speed in the same gear. When you go from cruise On to Cruise Off how are you reading the engine RPM and determining what gear you're in?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Cruise doesn't have anything to do with what RPM you are spinning at set speed in the same gear. I'd video this and show it to them. Sounds like an electrical issue unless you actually hear the motor spinning faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not possible for the RPMs to be different going at the same speed in the same gear. When you go from cruise On to Cruise Off how are you reading the engine RPM and determining what gear you're in?
Reading it by just looking at the tach.
I determined which gear by pushing the shift lever over to manual mode
and then pushed it up to the next highest gear. You have to do it this
way as I didn't see anywhere where it showed what gear I was in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That makes sense to me. So somehow it must be shifting to a different gear when I
put it into cruise???
Cruise does have its' own logic for determining the gear, but if it shifts it should show when you switch to manual mode and you would likely feel it too.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reading it by just looking at the tach.
I determined which gear by pushing the shift lever over to manual mode
and then pushed it up to the next highest gear. You have to do it this
way as I didn't see anywhere where it showed what gear I was in.
By pushing it up to the next highest gear, you may be upshifting, which would affect your results. You shouldn't have to do that. In user settings mode, you can change whether the current gear is displayed when you move the shift lever to manual mode. Under "Convenience," select "Gear Position Pop-up."
Also, I'm sure you know that different road conditions can cause the transmission to shift to a lower gear--either going up a hill (to accelerate) or going down a hill (to do engine braking), so after you have changed this setting, make sure you are looking at it when you are on a smooth, flat section of road.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can't speak to the OP's issue but it's normal for the rpms to fluctuate depending on load at the same speed in the same gear as the torque converter is slipping just a little which again is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So everyone understands, my tests were done on a level road. No one so far as I can see has given a good reason for a
500+ rpm difference from cruise to using the gas pedal. Note that I also did the same tests in sport mode with the same
results. I did the same tests on my Chevy Cobalt and there was no difference in rpm's from using cruise control to
using the gas pedal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The reason you can't see what gear you are in is because your 2020 Hyundai Value Edition has a Continuously Variable Transmission. it has no gears. That could also explain the anomalies you are seeing. A CVT behaves very differently than a conventional transmission.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What if you have an Auto and the TCC is released? RPM will increase at the same speed

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"Powering the 2020 Elantra is a 2.0L engine delivering 147 horsepower. Choose between
the standard 6-speed manual transmission or our newly developed available Intelligent
Variable Transmission — designed to replicate the natural acceleration of conventional
automatic shifting gears, but with the added benefit of greater fuel efficiency."

·
Registered
208 Posts
The reason you can't see what gear you are in is because your 2020 Hyundai Value Edition has a Continuously Variable Transmission. it has no gears. That could also explain the anomalies you are seeing. A CVT behaves very differently than a conventional transmission.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this x100

You have a 2020. Hyundai swapped the "old" 6-speed conventional auto out of these cars, for a CVT.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't explain this to you, when you bought it, since it's new for 2020.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I've really learned some valuable things about my 2020 Elantra with IVT (CVT).

But no one has given me a good reason why when I'm going 65 with my foot on the
gas at 1750 rpm's and I engage cruise the rpm's go to 2500 rpm's.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok, I've really learned some valuable things about my 2020 Elantra with IVT (CVT).

But no one has given me a good reason why when I'm going 65 with my foot on the
gas at 1750 rpm's and I engage cruise the rpm's go to 2500 rpm's.
I don't think anyone can. You probably have to talk to someone who was involved in the design and programming of the powertrain. If you can find that person, you will either have to know how to speak Korean, or have a translator with you. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I believe 'smart' cvt tries to provide optimum torque raising rpm. When you control speed with your foot most likely AI assumes you know what you are doing. I guess you never tested cruise while doing test-drive... There is Korean guy (in Korea) on youtube testing all Hyundai cars - petrolhead or similar. Ask him, he might find an answer for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Elantra SEL that does the same thing. It shifts out of high gear when cruise is set and rpm goes up 700-800 rpm. Took it to the dealer, they called Hyundai who said there was nothing they could do, that’s how it works. Cost me 9 mpg on a 145 mile trip. UNEXPECTABLE. Unusable cruise control on a $20,000 car is ridiculous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2020 Elantra SEL that does the same thing. It shifts out of high gear when cruise is set and rpm goes up 700-800 rpm. Took it to the dealer, they called Hyundai who said there was nothing they could do, that’s how it works. Cost me 9 mpg on a 145 mile trip. UNEXPECTABLE. Unusable cruise control on a $20,000 car is ridiculous.
Chris T, you Elantra doesn't have "Gears" in the normal sense. Watch a video on the IVT transmission. I've tracked about 2500 miles of using cruise/no cruise so far and it doesn't look like makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts