Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanism that adjusts the shoulder position of the seatbelt in my 2020 Elantra rattles when driving on anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces. If you hold the belt tight so it can’t move and bounce on the plastic it is fine. Took it to the dealer they said nothing is wrong. I will go insane if I have to listen to this for the next few years. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
When I drop off my wife, her shoulder seat belt twists with the buckle bouncing on the plastic side. I just reach over and straighten it out.

I assume you are referring to the passenger side, should be wearing yours or will be hearing a ding ding ding.

If you are carrying a weight on the passenger side, also assuming we are in North America even Canadians drives on the right side lane. Have to buckle up that passenger side seat belt or will hear ding ding ding. Also keeps it from bouncing on that plastic side panel.
All unibody cars have this problem.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
I think she means the slide at the top of the pillar. Luckily mine does not rattle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding. No this is the drivers seatbelt and has nothing to do with the buckle. It is in the shoulder height adjustment built into the side of the car. It started from the time I drove home upon purchasing it.
I think she means the slide at the top of the pillar. Luckily mine does not rattle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding. No this is the drivers seatbelt and has nothing to do with the buckle. It is in the shoulder height adjustment built into the side of the car. It started from the time I drove home upon purchasing it.
Thank you for helping to clarify what I was trying to convey. The part the belt is threaded through moves and makes a rattle which is right next to my ear. This is my 5th Elantra and none of my other cars did this. So disappointing

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
I'll look at mine tomorrow in the daylight and let you know of anything that might be missing or help you.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
If that's where the rattle is, something is loose or missing and can affect the operation of the safety belt. In most states against the law not to be wearing that belt, in Wisconsin, a 200 dollar fine if caught not wearing your belt.

You can slowly lean forward with the shoulder belt on, but in the event of collision, it should lock, if it doesn't, its next to worthless.

A single bolt is holding the top of that safety belt to the pillar, could stripped or loose, this is the shop manual spec for tightening this bolt. 39.2 ~ 53.9 N.m (4.0 ~ 5.5 kgf.m, 28.8 ~ 39.8 lb-ft). Can also be something else wrong with the belt mechanism.

Your dealer is wrong, this is a safety issue, can follow a complaint to NHTSA.

If someone else plays with it, can void the warranty, this is why we have dealers.

Also By Phone. (844) 462-5557. Monday to Friday. 6:00 am – 5:00 pm PST. To file a complaint directly to Hyundai.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for this information. I always wear my belt and I want to be sure it works! I really don’t think the dealership saw it as a real issue and I kind of felt like they blew me off.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
Thank you for this information. I always wear my belt and I want to be sure it works! I really don’t think the dealership saw it as a real issue and I kind of felt like they blew me off.
Ok I looked at mine and have a pic of it to be sure ours are the same. I don't see any way that mine could rattle. If you move the slider up or down does it make any difference in the rattle? Perhaps it isn't locked into position?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I looked at mine and have a pic of it to be sure ours are the same. I don't see any way that mine could rattle. If you move the slider up or down does it make any difference in the rattle? Perhaps it isn't locked into position? View attachment 444846
Here is mine. When the belt is on you can see the piece that holds the belt angles forward. When driving, especially on uneven roads that piece bumps back and forth hitting the sides of the housing. It doesn’t matter what position high or low it bounces and hits and it is noisy. I looked on other cars and there is another piece that the belt feeds through holding it in place. Maybe I will have to find a way to pad it so when it hits the sound is muffled?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
Weird something must be missing in your's...mine can move slightly side to side but it definitely has no no room to bounce.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for taking the time to try to help. You did way more than the dealership. I didn’t know if this was with all Elantras or exclusive to mine. Looks like I drew the short straw.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
Does it rattle the same way on the passenger side? And I'd take it to a different dealer and make them show you one on the lot to see if it does the same thing then insist it gets fixed. And your very welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it rattle the same way on the passenger side? And I'd take it to a different dealer and make them show you one on the lot to see if it does the same thing then insist it gets fixed. And your very welcome.
Good suggestion. I’m not sure about the passenger side. I’ve only had the car a month and no one has ridden there yet. I’ve had my grandchildren in the back but they are still in car seats and it’s a different set up back there anyway. I will definitely check out the passenger side tomorrow.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
148 Posts
Your quite welcome! Good Luck and I hope you can get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Forgot the plastic slide the belt comes through is adjustable height wise about an 1 3/8" can move it up or down by pushing in right above where the belt comes out.

We just left ours in the top position and locked in, is also possible the rattle is in there. Foot taller than my wife, dropping that slot 1 3/8" really doesn't make any difference for her, ha, should drop more like a half a foot. Never saw this before in any vehicle.

But if you didn't have it, woundn't have a problem with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts