Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Elantra value edition and i would like to do the oil change myself. Does anyone the part number for the oil filter? thank you

is it 26300-35505 or 26300-35504? and what is the difference between them

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
504 and 505 are functionally the same; the 505 is the most recent version.
It seems likely Hyundai just revises the part # when they switch sub-contractors.

·
Registered
957 Posts
There is no reason to limit yourself to a Hyundai branded oil filter. There are any number of oil fiters that are as good as, or superior to, a Hyundai branded oil filter. Many cost less, and all are easier to obtain.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There is no reason to limit yourself to a Hyundai branded oil filter. There are any number of oil fiters that are as good as, or superior to, a Hyundai branded oil filter. Many cost less, and all are easier to obtain.
yah, just remember the tiny savings you get on non genuine might be eaten up by the extra hassle over a warranty problem. since maintenance is included, you get official receipts from the dealer. some will also use full synthetic oil, others will tack on a small surcharge.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
hochlinn
There is no hassle anymore over which oil filter is on the vehicle, as long as it meets specs and 95% of em' do.
In 2016 The Moss Magnuson Warranty Act stopped all that rejection nonsense by Kia and Hyundai Inc..

The 35505 is most recent. The 35504 is the old stock from a few years ago. When it's all finally gone from stock shelves, there will be no more confusion.

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I started with 4 of the 504's from my dealership. First thing I noticed was weight. They are heavy. Now on my second 505. Still a heavy filter. I also used Fram Ultra. I now prefer the OEM filter. I found they easier to thread on and to remove.

·
Registered
957 Posts
yah, just remember the tiny savings you get on non genuine might be eaten up by the extra hassle over a warranty problem. since maintenance is included, you get official receipts from the dealer. some will also use full synthetic oil, others will tack on a small surcharge.
If maintenance is included, you're not buying filters separately. The "non genuine" parts are usually better than the manufacturers' branded parts, and you know what brand you're buying. With the manufacturer branded parts, they are not made by the manufacturer, they are made by a company that makes oil filters, and they change suppliers from time to time. It's not "cheaping out" to get aftermarket filters, it's just normal car maintenance.

I have said this before and I will say it again. They cannot deny you warranty coverage simply because you change your own oil with a good aftermarket oil filter, as long as you keep records. It's the law. People should not be afraid to go somewhere other than the dealer, or do it themselves.

·
Registered
2020 Elantra Luxury Sedan 2.0 & IVT
68 Posts
I prefer the dealer look after the oil change and filter.
I like the fact they do an inspection at the same time.
The oil change on my Elantra is planned for every 6 months.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I prefer the dealer look after the oil change and filter.
I like the fact they do an inspection at the same time.
The oil change on my Elantra is planned for every 6 months.
Not me. Twice I have taken a vehicle to the dealer to change the oil, and twice they did not take the step to ensure that the gasket from the old oil filter was not still on the car. I had double gaskets. The first time, I lucked out--I didn't notice it until the next oil change, and it had not lost any oil. The second time was with my daughter's vehicle, and part of the way home, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that my car was smoking from the dripping oil hitting the hot exhaust. Pulled over and had it towed back to the dealer, where they made it right.

I only trust myself to do oil changes. I also do an inspection at the same time, but I'm not likely to find anything that doesn't really need to be attended to, but which I will convince myself to replace or repair at great cost. I will not recommend a new cabin air filter to myself right after I have changed the cabin air filter, and I will not recommend any other unnecessary maintenance.

To each his own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've plenty of confidence in my Hyundai dealer,
I deal with a couple of dedicated tech savvy competent employees.
They are proud of who they are and what they do.

·
Premium Member
2017 Elantra SE, Popular and Tech Packages
197 Posts
My Hyundai dealer broke the level check plug on my transmission during a routine service and didn't tell me about it. Next time my service rolled around, the broken plug was brought to my attention and since Hyundai doesn't sell just the plug, I asked the dealer what they could do to fix the situation. They quoted me a $600 repair to replace the trans pan. I asked Hyundai USA for help and was told "tough luck". I bought a pan off eBay for a 2016 Accent, took the plug out of it and swapped it into my trans pan. Solved the problem for $30. Unless it's warranty work, a Hyundai dealer will never touch my car again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't accept that kind of treatment. I would get rid of them.
Many years ago I had a warranty problem with a GM dealer.
I immediately went down the road and traded the vehicle away with only 12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dealers vary greatly from one to the next. It's a mistake to decide never to have any dealer do work on your vehicle ever again, based on a bad experience with one dealer. However, for me, it it's something simple, like an oil change, I can be more assured that it was done correctly if I do it myself, rather than having anyone else do it. Plus it saves me money to do it myself and it's more convenient not to have to drive anywhere.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Dealers vary greatly from one to the next. It's a mistake to decide never to have any dealer do work on your vehicle ever again, based on a bad experience with one dealer. However, for me, it it's something simple, like an oil change, I can be more assured that it was done correctly if I do it myself, rather than having anyone else do it. Plus it saves me money to do it myself and it's more convenient not to have to drive anywhere.
I should've clarified, but that was one experience with one dealer. I had previous bad experiences at other dealerships, they just weren't pertinent to the discussion at hand. I've taken my car to 3 dealerships for various things (warranty work, service, etc) and I don't have a positive thing to say about any of them. The unwillingness to help me correct their mistake was just the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. That said, if one is able and willing to do the work, I don't see how avoiding a dealer is a mistake, as you put it. Not only will you save money, but any mistakes you make are your own and in the meantime, you know that the work was done correctly and without the up-selling of a service department. Where is the mistake in avoiding a dealership?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
hochlinn
There is no hassle anymore over which oil filter is on the vehicle, as long as it meets specs and 95% of em' do.
In 2016 The Moss Magnuson Warranty Act stopped all that rejection nonsense by Kia and Hyundai Inc..

The 35505 is most recent. The 35504 is the old stock from a few years ago. When it's all finally gone from stock shelves, there will be no more confusion.
actually, magnuson-moss was enacted in 1975, and had nothing to do with kia and hyundai, who wasnt even in the us at that time. it covers all kinds of warranties, not just vehicles. even if i do the oil service myself, i would still use a genuine filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In my younger years, many years ago. I was a factory trained service technician serving the public for 16 years.
One thing I learned was to repair a product correctly to the highest standard.
I guess I'm pretty lucky I didn't have bad auto service experiences like some of you have had.
We know there are some shysters out there.
However, for the most part a vast majority of businesses work hard to satisfy their customers which enables them to grow their business, retain their good employees and establish a good reputation. I'm very impressed with my Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I should've clarified, but that was one experience with one dealer. I had previous bad experiences at other dealerships, they just weren't pertinent to the discussion at hand. I've taken my car to 3 dealerships for various things (warranty work, service, etc) and I don't have a positive thing to say about any of them. The unwillingness to help me correct their mistake was just the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. That said, if one is able and willing to do the work, I don't see how avoiding a dealer is a mistake, as you put it. Not only will you save money, but any mistakes you make are your own and in the meantime, you know that the work was done correctly and without the up-selling of a service department. Where is the mistake in avoiding a dealership?
Thanks for clarifying. My personal experience is that I typically do not go to dealerships for service, except for TSBs, recalls, and warranty work.
I did not say it is a mistake to avoid a dealership. What I said was a mistake was, "to decide never to have any dealer do work on your vehicle ever again, based on a bad experience with one dealer."

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Unless it's warranty work, a Hyundai dealer will never touch my car again.
Thanks for clarifying. My personal experience is that I typically do not go to dealerships for service, except for TSBs, recalls, and warranty work.
I did not say it is a mistake to avoid a dealership. What I said was a mistake was, "to decide never to have any dealer do work on your vehicle ever again, based on a bad experience with one dealer."
Sorry, I got confused since I added the remark that "outside of warranty work", I wouldn't take my car to a dealership.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in my mid 80s and I've driven approximately 3,750,000 miles since I got my license in 1953. The most significant improvement in my time is the elimination of leaded gas and that made a huge difference keeping the oil cleaner. I can remember. doing a ring job and lapping the valves about 1956 and there was lots of carbon in the engine. The engines are cleaner, spark plugs last longer, less fuel issues and the oil stays cleaner. I don't drive as far as I used to so I go with changing the oil and filter every 6 months at my dealer. I bought my 2020 Elantra in Aug. 2020, changed the oil and filter in Feb. 2021 and my next oil change will be Aug. 2021. It's an excellent vehicle, veryhappy.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Yep, arrival of unleaded gas - getting rid of points for solid state ignition and arrival of fuel injection over carburetors, were three big-time pluses in the auto engine industry, many years ago.

Steel belt tires, power steering and power brakes led the way also.
35505 is replacing the 35504. Just about everywhere should be done with the 35504s, unless someone is shopping auto parts in a remote region / small city area, where volume shopping / large population doesn't exist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts