Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2020 Elantra Nov 2019, and during the 1st week I began to have intermittent starting problems.
The first turn of the key is dead silent. The second turn started right up. This happened a handful of times during the first month. Different times of the day, cool and warm engine and weather conditions, flat surfaces, there was no pattern or similar conditions when it would happen. At first I thought, is it something I neglected to do? Am I required to have the seat belt on, or brake depressed? Admittedly, I had not read the entire manual! I went to the dealership and they checked it over, couldn't duplicate the problem, said everything looked fine. I made sure they noted my concern and left.
The past 3 months since, it has continued, not often, but 2-3 times a month, however, its progressed. Last time the 1st turn was silent, then the 2nd time I heard the engine begin to turn then suddenly stop. 3rd time it started. It was a sound that in the old days, I would have said it sounded like the alternator, or starter. But now, everything's so computerized that I have no idea! I told the dealership it continues to happen when I recently went in for my 1st oil change, but they said the oil change guy doesnt do that kind of work. They made no effort to get this set up to be looked at, no suggestions. Just "he can't do that". Its not a huge deal, but its not something I expect from a brand new car! And I'd rather not wait until it turns into something bigger, or I end up stranded somewhere and have to be towed to a dealer, put in a loaner, etc..... Inconvenienced.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
No crank, no start, sounds like no crank, manual transmission, have floor the clutch pedal, automatic, have to step on the brake, can't even pull it out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

If you drove a Model A Ford, starter was a push pedal on the floor, didn't care what gear you were in, whether the ignition was on or off, if you hit the brake and the clutch, both kind of difficult, would need three feet, it jammed two contacts together, the starter would turn. If the ignition key was on in gear, foot off the brake, it would start, and if someone was in the front or the rear of this car depending if you were in first or reverse, would run them over and kill them. Bunch of saftety stuff was added since then.

Sounds like your shop had no problem starting your car, so it must be you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I remember one of my manual transmission cars was having trouble starting like that. It turned out the dealer had swapped the carpets. So the passenger side carpet was erroneously on the drivers side. And it slid up under the clutch pedal. And prevented the car from starting. I ran into the issue on a day where it was only ten degrees. So i thought it had to do with the extreme cold. But was surprised to learn it was just the carpet preventing the clutch pedal from being pressed all the way down to start the car.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
2004 Chevy Cavalier with a MT had a really strange problem nobody, even me could not figure out. If you removed the floor mat stepped on the clutch it would not disengage, gears would grind.

But with the floor mat in, not even pushing the clutch pedal clear to the floor, it would engage properly. Craziest thing I have ever ran into.

Now that switch, in series with the starter, either on the brake or clutch pedal. In our Limited, just press the brake about a half inch or so, will start and let you take the AT lever out of park. We just push on the pedal as far as it will go.

With a clutch, all the way to the floor, these switches are adjustable and in some vehicles, just use a spring clamp where the switch will fall to the floor.

With older vehicles starter switch was on the dash, didn't make any difference if the ignition was on or off, brake or clutch up or down, in gear or not, push that button and would engage the starter, if in gear with the ignition on, just one click, you would be moving. Needed brains to drive these things.

With a 30 Ford, parking brake on, transmission in neutral spark advanced fully retards, throttle on steering wheel lever just cracked opened a bit before hand cranking the engine starter up front. If you had the spark advanced, could break your arm with a backfire, if in gear, would run yourself over.

With this new stuff, if your windows are down and moon roof opened, battery is dead, and its raining, inside of your car may get a little damp.

If trying to push it off the road, with an AT, have that cap next to the gear shift lever, have to pry they off, can use a rod or screwdriver to push a lever down to get it out of park. Than you can push the car, but really have to use a lot of muscle on that electrically powered steering wheel.

Maybe should carry a spare sealed lead acid 12 volt battery along just so you could close the windows and roof.

Fix one problem and create others.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,405 Posts
To eliminate any voltage drop concerns, would clean battery posts and cable terminals.
Follow negative cable and clean chassis ground.
Also, check engine ground (transmission strap to chassis)

If continues then would suspect ignition switch (not key or cylinder lock)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like a connection or grounding issue check those first before pulling the starter for a rebuild. These starters last a long time. I am over 100K already zero issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts