Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought a 2020 Elantra after having a great experience with a 2008 Hyundai Sonata for almost 9 years and over 100K miles and never having an issue, not one within that time span.

Since I had such a great experience with the Sonata I didn’t really think too much about going to a newer car but less expensive model from Hyundai if I am getting something reliable but I am not really a car person so I didn’t really think twice about what a CVT/IVT was when I was initially looking into the 2020 Elantra.

It seems like a lot of people dislike CVTs. For a car the size of the Elantra with minimal power/torque, are CVT/IVTs really that bad of an option? Particularly since it is a Chain Driven CVT/IVT and not Rubber Belt Driven?

In looking at the owner's manual (Page 7-19) it says that the IVT fluid “should not be checked under normal usage conditions”. I think I would like to change out the fluid on an interval to help ensure there are no issues with the CVT/IVT since I want to keep this car for as long as possible.

What time/mileage interval would you suggest that I insist to have the fluid changed? Every 30K miles?

Are there any other types of maintenance/tips that you would recommend to keep the CVT/IVT in good working order for the life of the vehicle?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
In the past CVTs were primarily used in hybrids as they were better able to maximize the power and torque of small engines. In fact I have one in my hybrid. They require the same maintenance as a normal automatic transmission. Most CVTs are very smooth and there is no shift felt as in a 6 or 8 speed automatic however some brands now have it so even a CVT will appear to have shift points, a recent Subaru I drove had this feature, hated it. Anyway, no special maintenance required. I would go with a 60.000 mile change interval

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input! I had read about the shift points that you mention in some CVTs. I haven't noticed anything like that in the Elantra. I was surprised to see that the owner's manual doesn't say anything about requiring any kind of maintenance/fluid change unless driving under harsher conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same IVT issue and read up on the internet for answers, the best explanation I was given is that Hyundai (corporate) rates the IVT fluid as lifetime and doesn't require changing. However the manual doesn't mention that by 'lifetime' it means around 160000km of the car. If you want to keep your vehicle longer than that, I suggest you follow your Hyundai (dealership) advise to change the IVT oil. I would treat it as a AT transmission and change either at 60000km or 100000km, also make sure to use oil specify for the IVT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply. I definitely want to maintain the car like I am going keep the car beyond 100K Miles/160K Kilometers even if that is not what ends up happening. I will definitely be scheduling an IVT fluid change somewhere between 30K and 60K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts