Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I just bought a 2019 Tucson SEL and noticed there is a rattling noise seemingly coming from the engine compartment on the dashboard side. My fear was partially calmed when I listened to my brother's 1 year old Audi Q3 I believe it is. His made the same rattle. Neither of us have had foreign cars or small engines before so maybe this is normal? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
5yr / 60,000 basic warranty...... give it back to dealer for inspection

Might help if you was there to point out sound to them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went out and took a better listen. I hear 3 things. The belt on the left side as I am facing the vehicle, a clicking that seems to be coming from between the engine and the radiator fan and a rattling that is best heard when sticking my head between the engine and the driver seat. This rattle sounds like 2 metal things rattling together?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my quest to hunt the rattle, I took off the main plastic engine cover to discover a foamy thing with "PUR- E 2.4 GDI" written on it. I removed it. Careful if you do that because it tears easily. Underneath I discovered a blue dotted circular metal thing that made a smaller rattle. What the heck is going on with the rattles? Seems like they already "fixed" one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That thing you have circled is the GDI high pressure fuel pump

Fuel is fed to it from in-tank pump at approx 70 PSI,,,, the GDI pump boost the pressure up to 1500 PSI,, based on PCM duty cycle of solenoid on the side of the pump... see the wire going to it..

They real loud at cold start,, that why it wrapped in dense foam in attempt to dampen emitted sounds

Look between intake manifold and engine block,, you should spy same color ***** of foam covering injectors and rail

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2019 Sport and I have noticed the engine is pretty loud as well. Almost like a lifter ticking noise. I do hear the injectors with the hood open in the front of the engine but its pretty loud even with the hood closed...much louder than my '16 CR-V was that this replaced.
I guess the nature of the beast?

I only have 150 miles on it so far so maybe it will quiet down a bit wit time hopefully....

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my engine sound....It is pretty loud. Hearing my wife driving off you can hear it in the distance!

First video is with hood closed...

This is under the hood...sorry its upside down!

Oh well cant post links till 7 days....you'll all have to wait! LOL

If you do a YouTube search of 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport 2.4L Engine Noise youll hear it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
6t9chgr I watched your youtube video I'm pretty darn sure that is the same noise I have. Sounds like 2 metal things vibrating together yes? Hard for me to get under the thing, but it possible is coming from what on a 4 x 4 would be called the front differential. (the box containing gears that lead to the rear wheels) Is yours AWD too? Let's let each other know if we figure it out ok?

·
Registered
41 Posts
6t9chgr I watched your youtube video I'm pretty darn sure that is the same noise I have. Sounds like 2 metal things vibrating together yes? Hard for me to get under the thing, but it possible is coming from what on a 4 x 4 would be called the front differential. (the box containing gears that lead to the rear wheels) Is yours AWD too? Let's let each other know if we figure it out ok?

Yes OK. She only has 150 miles on it. How many does yours have?

Anyone else have this noise?? Normal???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
300 miles. Been there since day 1. I just e-mailed the salesman just to be on record that it has always been an issue. Not sure If i will bring it in or not. It's a pain for me to bring it in. kind of want to confirm this is normal.

I have been noticing more details about this car that makes me question the build quality. The gas cap door has this little spring loaded deal that will fail i'm sure. Seen enough of those in my line of work with small electronics. I walked around the back of the car today and this plastic round piece was hanging off the bumper mid level on passenger side. Luckily, it was still connected by a frail plastic piece so I was able to replace it. Looks to be a hole made for higher up option I don't have. Not sure if this craftsmanship is the new normal or if this is what you get when you buy a korean car. I'm used to american pickups built a little more sturdy. They sure as heck didn't rattle off the lot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sounds like typical GDI fuel pump/injector noise to me. You should hear my Mini R56, almost as loud as a diesel.
that is a great way to describe it. I thought it sounded like a smaller version of the school bus I rode as a kid. So I should look up where the fuel pump is ya think if I want to track this noise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mine sounds like this guy's, at 1:03 when he opens the hood. Mine is just not as loud. I guess I can't post links, but search "2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T GDi noise" on youtube

1 - 20 of 22 Posts