Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my 2018 2.4L build a year or two back that I unfortunately totaled on the way back from Disneyland. Traded in my 2014 Elantra and got a 2019 2.0T and thought I might as well make another build thread. For those of you who haven't seen here, links are below:
Build Thread: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/2018-sonata-sel-build.597281/post-5494394
Small Photo Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157689272422601/with/39110506214/ (DIY intake was replaced with custom AEM/K&N intake with an AEM strut bar that I never took pics of I THINK)

Ultimately, I think I'm going for nearly the same look and stance, but maybe not as low. As of now, my current setup is:
  • ADD W1 V3.3 OCC
  • HKS SQV4 Black BOV
  • Waiting on K&N to custom make an intake
  • Once intake is on, K&N will also install an AEM front strut bar
  • I have D2 lowering springs, but debating on selling and getting Megan Racing coils
  • 5% tints rear, 25% tints front, 75% tint pano sunroof
  • CQuartz UK 3.0 Ceramic coated (DIY)
I have a lot more planned, but this is currently what my budget and time allows. I will mention the K&N/AEM items are free directly from them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You had me at “free” ? can I get more info on that?

Reactions: 2424Goldie

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You had me at “free” ? can I get more info on that?
Early bird gets the worm man. Same way i got the free intake and strut bar from K&N/AEM for my 2018, too. They have a list of vehicles that they want to test fit/R&D parts on thru their website. Since I offer my car for them to test on, any parts they do test fit or create thru it I get to keep. Since after that point they have definite proof that those parts fit that year, make, and model, I’m not sure if they offer it for any other owner/vehicle after the 1st. They have the list of desired vehicles on their website, but their coordinator also sent me this list if anyone else has any of these vehicles they’d like to have fitted.

Reactions: jayk13

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for some advice if possible. I have 2 Borla 40842S mufflers from my 2018 that I originally wanted to sell but keep getting lowballed for so im thinking I might just keep them. When i had them on my 2.4L, it sounded really good but had a pretty bad drone in cabin in low-mid RPMs. I had soundproofing material throughout the car but it didnt help much. Would throwing in another resonator upstream be okay to do, or would that introduce too much resistance/back pressure for the rest of the system? With CA laws, I do not want it to be as loud as it was on my 2.4L, but i do want it to be more aggressive than it is stock right now.

Sound reference to my 2.4L: https://flic.kr/p/2hv7AfU

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s wettt ? and CA reversed their law from Jan 2019, a loud exhaust is a fix it ticket again, so I’d just keep it like that, personally.
I can’t offer any help to your question about a second resonator. Maybe replacing the oem one with a more restrictive(?) aftermarket one will be enough, but idk of those even exist since people usually go for less restriction.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would think that the turbo quiets the exhaust a little more than the 2.4 NA. So, with these mufflers on your 19 turbo it would be slightly quieter. The sound clip actually sounds pretty good, at least from my computer.

ominousone

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,744 Posts
Seems like almost everyone that has altered their exhaust with Borla or Magnaflow complain of cabin 'drone" in the Sonata. I agree the exhaust note is pretty bland on the 2.0T but since it is a turbo I would not even consider adding any additional restrictions to the exhaust. More air in needs a way out so adding a any additional restriction to the exhaust side would be bad for performance especially since it is turbo charged.

You were not able to get the Strut Bar off the other car? it should be the same fit.

A lot of people use the Medan Springs and seem to like them. I had a set I never installed and sold to a member here and he said they ruined his struts in a short period of time so he went back to stock and got new struts. But he is about the only person I heard that from, most people are happy with them. I think they produce a good look, plenty low enough to see but not too much. For me I decided they were to low as are most of the available springs at 1.5" or more. Because of scraping and bottoming if I ever lower it will be a little more conservative at 1.1" to 1.2" using ARK, Storm or the Ebach that are made for Kinetic available only through K5 Optima store. and then when the stock struts and shock wear out add the Truhart struts and shocks. The Truhart are the only after market struts and shocks avaible for our cars , the only other options are OEM at 2 times the price or coilovers.

im glad you are back on the forum and with a 2.0T ! Your last build thread was good, I enjoyed seeing the car progress.

Im at almost 80,000 miles now and was content to leave the car as is since I thought id replace it at 100,000-120,000 miles while still under a little warranty so maybe it would still have some resale value. I have a 120,000 extended bumper to bumper and after the 953 TSB Hyundai had extended the engine to 120,000 miles. But with the latest development of lifetime engine warranty (like Kia started offering a couple years ago) Im thinking I may keep this Sonata and drive it into the ground since Ill probably never have to pay for an engine. This has me thinking about some mods again, springs and Truharts to lower 1.1" (I already upsized my tires to 245/45 and that added 1" dia and corrected the speedo and helped fill the wheel gap) so with the tires and 1.1" lower I think the look will be better with less wheel /fender gap but overall only about 1/2' lower than stock, so no scraping issues. I put an AEM Strut bar on that I got new out of box on EBay for $50 and I'd add a Ultra Rear Sway bar to flatten out the cornering.

But in the meantime Ill be watching your build.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s wettt ? and CA reversed their law from Jan 2019, a loud exhaust is a fix it ticket again, so I’d just keep it like that, personally.
I can’t offer any help to your question about a second resonator. Maybe replacing the oem one with a more restrictive(?) aftermarket one will be enough, but idk of those even exist since people usually go for less restriction.
Oh, really? Regardless, I dont want any tickets whatsoever if at all possible, and I do also want to have a lower-profile vehicle this time around so I dont want it too loud

I would think that the turbo quiets the exhaust a little more than the 2.4 NA. So, with these mufflers on your 19 turbo it would be slightly quieter. The sound clip actually sounds pretty good, at least from my computer.

ominousone
****, I wish I had a reference to go off of. Is honestly rather have a quieter than expected exhaust than the same volume or louder than the old one. My biggest issue is the cabin drone that I had in the 2.4L. I do not want that at all in the 2.0T.

Seems like almost everyone that has altered their exhaust with Borla or Magnaflow complain of cabin 'drone" in the Sonata. I agree the exhaust note is pretty bland on the 2.0T but since it is a turbo I would not even consider adding any additional restrictions to the exhaust. More air in needs a way out so adding a any additional restriction to the exhaust side would be bad for performance especially since it is turbo charged.

You were not able to get the Strut Bar off the other car? it should be the same fit.

A lot of people use the Medan Springs and seem to like them. I had a set I never installed and sold to a member here and he said they ruined his struts in a short period of time so he went back to stock and got new struts. But he is about the only person I heard that from, most people are happy with them. I think they produce a good look, plenty low enough to see but not too much. For me I decided they were to low as are most of the available springs at 1.5" or more. Because of scraping and bottoming if I ever lower it will be a little more conservative at 1.1" to 1.2" using ARK, Storm or the Ebach that are made for Kinetic available only through K5 Optima store. and then when the stock struts and shock wear out add the Truhart struts and shocks. The Truhart are the only after market struts and shocks avaible for our cars , the only other options are OEM at 2 times the price or coilovers.

im glad you are back on the forum and with a 2.0T ! Your last build thread was good, I enjoyed seeing the car progress.

Im at almost 80,000 miles now and was content to leave the car as is since I thought id replace it at 100,000-120,000 miles while still under a little warranty so maybe it would still have some resale value. I have a 120,000 extended bumper to bumper and after the 953 TSB Hyundai had extended the engine to 120,000 miles. But with the latest development of lifetime engine warranty (like Kia started offering a couple years ago) Im thinking I may keep this Sonata and drive it into the ground since Ill probably never have to pay for an engine. This has me thinking about some mods again, springs and Truharts to lower 1.1" (I already upsized my tires to 245/45 and that added 1" dia and corrected the speedo and helped fill the wheel gap) so with the tires and 1.1" lower I think the look will be better with less wheel /fender gap but overall only about 1/2' lower than stock, so no scraping issues. I put an AEM Strut bar on that I got new out of box on EBay for $50 and I'd add a Ultra Rear Sway bar to flatten out the cornering.

But in the meantime Ill be watching your build.
Good to hear from you again man, thanks for the support. I agree that it seems like drone is a common complaint with these exhaust up. It drove me crazy in my 2018. You got a steal on that AEM bar man, that’s wild. You’re right that they should fit, but my collision bent the bar and made it unusable. My next plan is for the Truhart struts/shocks with D2 springs and the exhaust. Probably not too soon cuz money but eventually.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick parts list wishlist update; looking to add a few things down the road:
- Stiff ring/rigid collar subframe bushings. I’ve only found them on Sharkracing for a 6 pack, but I believe K5 is now special ordering sets with more pieces for a full front and rear set, but for about $100 more than Sharkracing. Not sure which brand I’ll go with.
https://sharkracing.com/2015-2018-sonata-aluminum-subframe-bushings/ OR

- Still waiting for K&N on the front strut bar and intake.

- Almost ready to purchase the Truhart Struts/Shocks, probably by the end of the year.

- Sharkracing leather dash cover with blue stitching (matches black and blue interior of my car) https://sharkracing.com/leather-dashboard-cover-various-applications/

- Keeping an eye out for 19x8” +35 Genesis track wheels. I could get a set for around $400 but waiting to see if something special pops up soon. If anyone has insight on if i COULD run 19x8.5” +35 instead without any rubbing while lowered on D2 springs, that’ be appreciated too.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,744 Posts
Quick parts list wishlist update; looking to add a few things down the road:
- Stiff ring/rigid collar subframe bushings. I’ve only found them on Sharkracing for a 6 pack, but I believe K5 is now special ordering sets with more pieces for a full front and rear set, but for about $100 more than Sharkracing. Not sure which brand I’ll go with.
https://sharkracing.com/2015-2018-sonata-aluminum-subframe-bushings/ OR

- Still waiting for K&N on the front strut bar and intake.

- Almost ready to purchase the Truhart Struts/Shocks, probably by the end of the year.

- Sharkracing leather dash cover with blue stitching (matches black and blue interior of my car) https://sharkracing.com/leather-dashboard-cover-various-applications/

- Keeping an eye out for 19x8” +35 Genesis track wheels. I could get a set for around $400 but waiting to see if something special pops up soon. If anyone has insight on if i COULD run 19x8.5” +35 instead without any rubbing while lowered on D2 springs, that’ be appreciated too.
Keep posting pictures of your progress. The 2018 you did looked great.

Im again thinking about lowering my car since Ive decided to keep it past the 100,000 mile mark (at 74,000 now) because of the settlement on lifetime engine warranty for bearings and fire. Usually get rid of my cars just before 100,000 so there is some resale left. This one has been trouble free, uses no oil, drives like it did day 1.

Ive had problems bottoming and scraping on the 2 other cars I lowered (Prius with the factory kit and a G37s with Eibach springs) so Ill probably go conservative with Storm or ARK springs both lower only about 1" -1.25" and Truhart Struts and Shocks since Ill have close to 80,000 miles on the OEM. No plans to change wheels, I like the look of the Sport 2.0T 18" wheels and Ive upsized the tires to 245/45/18 so that helped close the wheel gap and corrected the speedo. Another 1-1.25 drop should make a difference n wheel gap and still be only about 3/4" lower than stock due to the increase in diameter of the 245/45 tires.

Do you have any plans to do a "Tune"

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep posting pictures of your progress. The 2018 you did looked great.

Im again thinking about lowering my car since Ive decided to keep it past the 100,000 mile mark (at 74,000 now) because of the settlement on lifetime engine warranty for bearings and fire. Usually get rid of my cars just before 100,000 so there is some resale left. This one has been trouble free, uses no oil, drives like it did day 1.

Ive had problems bottoming and scraping on the 2 other cars I lowered (Prius with the factory kit and a G37s with Eibach springs) so Ill probably go conservative with Storm or ARK springs both lower only about 1" -1.25" and Truhart Struts and Shocks since Ill have close to 80,000 miles on the OEM. No plans to change wheels, I like the look of the Sport 2.0T 18" wheels and Ive upsized the tires to 245/45/18 so that helped close the wheel gap and corrected the speedo. Another 1-1.25 drop should make a difference n wheel gap and still be only about 3/4" lower than stock due to the increase in diameter of the 245/45 tires.

Do you have any plans to do a "Tune"
Currently don't have pics worth posting, still just sitting stock at the moment. Once I lower it, i'll post some up though!

I do kinda like the look of the 18", but I miss the slimmer and cleaner look of my 19" on the 2018. If only it didn't rub, I would throw them on this Limited 2.0T as well:/ If you message/email David at K5 saying you found the Truhart shocks/struts at a cheaper price (I found some for $250 via eBay Best Offer), he will usually price match it. Or at least he offered to price match me. Worth a shot when/if you decide to go that route.

I do want to get a LAP3 Pro Tuner, but since the 2019 doesn't have a port to install it, I have to wait. I spoke with David from LAP3, and he said they're working on making a tuner for the late-production 2018 - 2019 Sonata's that don't have the original port; they will be making the Pro Tuner install via the OBD2 port instead which he said will be released in a few months. But that's gonna be another story, that's a huge chunk of cash so I don't mind putting that off a bit.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Question for everyone, has anyone ever replaced the interior trim? I personally don't like the textured plastic on the Limited 2.0T, i don't even know what kind of pattern or look it's called. It just looks cheap and ugly to me. I want to change it out, even thought about vinyl wrapping, but since it is textured I'm sure that it wont work properly. I don't really trust/like overlay trim pieces either since over time, I don't want to deal with failing adhesives or trim pieces popping out or shifting and not looking right. Does anyone know a source to buy these interior trim pieces? Linked a post with a picture below of what I'd like to go for (or is the picture I linked an overlay??). It can be another pattern, as long as I can either replace them with what I have now, or smooth so I can vinyl wrap it.

ALSO, does anyone know if the Progress or Ultra rear sway bar fits a 2018-2019? 2015-2017 Sonata RSB stock part number is 55500-C1200, while the 2018-2019 Sonata RSB stock part number is 55500-C1300.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did an irresponsible tax return season move and bought some new wheels. Selling my old XXR 527 19x8.75" +38mm and putting on Drag DR-67 19x8" +40mm. Trying to avoid rubbing at all costs this time around. Using the same Indy 500 225/40/19 tires. Should be coming in about 2 weeks time. Paid $615 minus $40 rebate and $19 cash back website. Pics coming once installed.

I'm also lowered on Megan Racing springs currently, but the rears are a little high for my liking so I might try throwing the D2's back on and adding a spacer or spring booster on the rear so it isn't too low. All this is making me miss the adjustability of my 2018 coilovers.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good Looking wheels. Ill be looking for pictures once you have them on.
Just got contact from discount tire. Wont be in stock for 2 months. Lol

in other words and in update to clunking and bouncy/bottoming out issues with my front suspension:
I’ve been in contact with Truhart to get my front right strut replaced due to clunking and my car bottoming out. And these crushed plastic housings from it. They sent out a replacement, but turns out they had a production mix up and the front right and left struts were mis-labeled/mis-stamped on a larger(?) scale into the actual metal body of the strut. (Aka RH strut is for LH side; LH strut is for RH side) I noticed this when i first got the original set of struts but swapping them around solved the mis-label issue. When i got the replacement, they sent the RH-labeled strut, but as in my first set, it was for the LH side. Contacted them about it, they said they just discovered this mix up due to this situation and will be sending a LH strut (for the RH side). Well i got the LH strut for the right side, and the holes for the lower spring boot dont line up like on the first strut i was replacing. So now waiting for them to contact me again with what to do. My car is sitting on stands until then. I assume they either tell me to cut the foot that doesnt line up anymore, or they send me a third replacement strut? Safe to say im pretty pissed about this. I’ve been quite patient with the clunking (since i installed them), the issues (months now), the mislabel issue (waited another week for replacement), and now this.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,744 Posts
My TruHarts were also mislabeled, but I spotted it before installing them so no problem there.

Like you have had, I also had the 1 hole that did not line up on the bottom rubber spring pad. I cut it off there were still the other 2 that properly located it. I also used a very small amount of silicone (a few spots of it) around the pad to secure it to the strut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts