Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SEL is a wonderful vehicle . It seems like a lot of noise coming from the rear . Sounds like tire noise . It might be road surface . Any one else experience this ?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,256 Posts
These OEM tires are ok, but all have short thread life. Inspect all tires for visual defect and to ensure no large object in between the threads. Check tire pressure too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you look at Tire Rack reviews, the OEM tires are rated decently, but are known to get loud before even the treads are low. Most people started hearing the road noise about when you are, in around the 1-2 year mark.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
812 Posts
30K miles.....sounds like it's about time to swap out those tires for better ones.

I'm looking at the Michelin Cross Climate 2 or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde when the time comes.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
381 Posts
Curious as to which tires we're talking about. When I test drove a 2019 Ultimate in July of 2019 the car had Continentals (Crosscontact LX Sport). When I bought my 2020 Limited in November of 2019 it came with Hankooks (Dynapro HP2). I have no complaints about the Hankooks when the road is dry (tires are quiet enough and handling is pretty good), but in rain they could be better and the winter (snow) performance is rather poor. My vehicle has ~8500 miles and I've already rotated twice to even out the wear since I do mostly city driving.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My SEL is a wonderful vehicle . It seems like a lot of noise coming from the rear . Sounds like tire noise . It might be road surface . Any one else experience this ?
Same experience here with the factory 17 inch tires. They've been progressively getting louder since about 20K miles. I want to switch them out, but it's hard to justify when they still have like 70% tread left.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Is
Is the Hyundai Santa Fe SEL your first-ever hatchback? There's always more rear road noise when an enclosed trunk is not present.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Curious as to which tires we're talking about. When I test drove a 2019 Ultimate in July of 2019 the car had Continentals (Crosscontact LX Sport). When I bought my 2020 Limited in November of 2019 it came with Hankooks (Dynapro HP2). I have no complaints about the Hankooks when the road is dry (tires are quiet enough and handling is pretty good), but in rain they could be better and the winter (snow) performance is rather poor. My vehicle has ~8500 miles and I've already rotated twice to even out the wear since I do mostly city driving.
You need snow tires for winter operation if you are in an area that gets significant snow in winter.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
382 Posts
What brand and what size tires do you have. I have the Hancooks and IMO they are a better tire than the Continentals. Also, different rim and tire combos will have an effect on road noise.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You need snow tires for winter operation if you are in an area that gets significant snow in winter.
I'm in a suburb of Milwaukee Wisconsin. While we do get our share of snow in the winter, having winter tires isn't really necessary since we have excellent snow removal. If it snows in the morning it's usually not a problem driving by the afternoon. I had a set of steel wheels with winter tires for a previous 2WD vehicle, and while they were a bit better I didn't replace them when they wore out. Based on reviews I've read I should be able to find a more winter-capable all season tire when the Hankooks wear out.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,256 Posts
Common sense and knowing some basic science will compensate not having snow tire. Unless your area snows everyday, like Montreal, which snow tire is required by law.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Common sense and knowing some basic science will compensate not having snow tire. Unless your area snows everyday, like Montreal, which snow tire is required by law.
For sure. I learned to drive in snow in the very early 80's in RWD 70's vehicles fitted with Bias Ply tires. My first car was a '71 Ford Maverick that I purchased from my Grandfather. The car even came with an old set of metal studded snow tires but they were illegal by that time.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
382 Posts
For sure. I learned to drive in snow in the very early 80's in RWD 70's vehicles fitted with Bias Ply tires. My first car was a '71 Ford Maverick that I purchased from my Grandfather. The car even came with an old set of metal studded snow tires but they were illegal by that time.
Awesome. My first car was '72 Maverick, 2 door.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Awesome. My first car was '72 Maverick, 2 door.
That's crazy! I didn't expect people here would even remember the car let alone own one! I had a 2 door as well with the 200ci straight 6 and the 3 speed auto. No power steering or power brakes (4 wheel drum...scary), and a bench seat. That POS will always hold a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My tires only have 8k on them thus far, so no issues yet. Hankook tires I have had on previous cars, they seemed not to have the best tread life and got noisy. But probably all cheaper tires do that. However, I think these particular model will last a while, they are rated as very good tread life by consumer reports and I think saw a recommended buy. But not to say they won't have a little noise. A lot on here will recommend replace early, but might as well get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine started making noise on one tire at about 23,000 miles. Took it into a tire shop and they said the belts become separated and Hankooks are known for it. I believed him as you could feel it in the center of the tire and he did not try to sell me a new set... Then asked the dealer about this and they said it happens.

I am waiting a bit longer to replace the tires but look forward to the quiet ride returning.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine started making noise on one tire at about 23,000 miles. Took it into a tire shop and they said the belts become separated and Hankooks are known for it. I believed him as you could feel it in the center of the tire and he did not try to sell me a new set... Then asked the dealer about this and they said it happens.

I am waiting a bit longer to replace the tires but look forward to the quiet ride returning.
So, are you saying that you have a tire experiencing belt separation and you are not going to replace it? That is a condition that almost always requires the tire to be replaced immediately. There should be some sort of recourse through the dealer or Hankook since your tires do come with their own warranty. It may be pro-rated but I wouldn't want to be rolling down the road with a bad tire. Especially if you regularly drive at highway speeds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
April 11, 2021

Thanks to all who shared your experience in this thread.

My 2020 Santa Fe now has 35,000 miles. The OEM Hankook tires still have 50% tread, but are very noisy.

Because the tire-on-pavement noise increases gradually over time I really didn't notice how bad it had become until driving a rental SUV (Nissan Rogue) last week while vacationing. I could hear every word said by my wife and her sister in that car. In my Santa Fe, I have to ask my wife to repeat herself frequently when we're going over 50mph, or so.

Driving that rental car also made me realize that the patch put inside my right rear Santa Fe tire last Thanksgiving after a screw was removed, was the reason why I have this rhythm with with tire noise, when going under 30 mph on blacktop.

I'm not going to wait until the tread gets lower. This thread is sending me shopping for replacement tires just as soon as I post this reply. Once again, my thanks to all!

-Allen in Chicagoland

1 - 20 of 22 Posts