Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner..... perhaps because it is my wife's car.... but, just noticed EVERY SINGLE WHEEL'S PAINT IS DELAMINATING FROM THE WHEEL.

We bought this 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0Tbrand new... and take really good care of it....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
U
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Hood Motor vehicle

As reference: My 2018 Ford F150 Lariat has wheels with painted pocket areas and no problems whatsoever with 10k more miles on it.....

Will Hyundai make good on this defect? I doubt it.... had an experience with their 'so-called' warranty with my son's 2017 Santa Fe.... and they are horrible.... won't stand behind anything.

What is the verdict on this... I can't be the only one....? I am a signmaker.... so, I hope for their sake they don't try and 'F' me over.....

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Joefriday i feell your pain unfortanatly its pretty common on alot of hyundais im not sure why? wether its a preping problem where there not prepping sanding / cleaning the rim before they spray it with clearcoat or a quality issue with the actual clearcoat itself leading to peeling off. in any case You can clearly see its a clearcoat adhesion peeling off manufactures defect issue hyundai should honour the repair cost.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,813 Posts
It's a common and known issue. Hyundai has been replacing the wheels under warranty. Don't worry and just take it in. Talk nice to them and most likely they will just order you a complete replacement set.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Oh man; that looks really bad. May I ask you if you wash your wheels with any kind of wheel cleaner? Not that it'd be your fault (since that's what those products are designed for), but unfortunately, they can damage wheel finish. I learned that the hard way a while back, and with an expensive one (Sonax). I've never used any wheel cleaners after that incident, and no issues so far. I only use high-pressure soapy water from car washes, and/or microfiber rags sprayed with distilled water (much more prone to scratching dry). If I have to scrub the wheels quite a bit, they can still scratch a little, but rather have that, than discoloration and/or flaking later on. I use my vehicles, so no need for a flawless finish.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T
182 Posts
Oh man; that looks really bad. May I ask you if you wash your wheels with any kind of wheel cleaner? Not that it'd be your fault (since that's what those products are designed for), but unfortunately, they can damage wheel finish. I learned that the hard way a while back, and with an expensive one (Sonax). I've never used any wheel cleaners after that incident, and no issues so far. I only use high-pressure soapy water from car washes, and/or microfiber rags sprayed with distilled water (much more prone to scratching dry). If I have to scrub the wheels quite a bit, they can still scratch a little, but rather have that, than discoloration and/or flaking later on. I use my vehicles, so no need for a flawless finish.
Nothing to do with wheel cleaner its a defect with the wheels. Pretty much happened to every 2019 and 2020 Ultimate model. If your within your 3 year warrenty they will replace, if not they may just have them refinished which is what Hyundai just did with mine. A good tire repair shop can make them look like brand new and you won't have this problem again. Man this must have cost Hyundai a pile of money over the last few years.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So lack of proper wheel prep before finish was applied? But harsh wheel cleaners could still cause that kind of damage too, hence my question... but you didn't answer it. I was hoping you did use wheel cleaners, meaning not using any, could possibly mean longer-lasting wheels:). We'll see, I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have 2019 Limted turbo bought new April 2019. Are on our 3rd complete set of wheel replacements due to this, last set replaced under warranty in Feb. Service advisor told me that 5/60 warranty covers this but individual dealer will be very much YMMV. Cleaners have nothing to do with this, is a factory issue which tells me they haven't fixed issue, probably since hyundai is just using left over stock since wheels were only on 19-20. If happens again (probably) will see about getting repaired.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
25 Posts
Normal 5yr/60k mile warranty still applies, but they are now having dealers send them out to be refinished instead of replacing. This started a few weeks ago. Don't know if it's a supply issue or they are finding that the replacements are still having issues, or a cost saving measure. Either way, they will get refinished if you're still under the normal warranty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We have 2019 Limted turbo bought new April 2019. Are on our 3rd complete set of wheel replacements due to this, last set replaced under warranty in Feb. Service advisor told me that 5/60 warranty covers this but individual dealer will be very much YMMV. Cleaners have nothing to do with this, is a factory issue which tells me they haven't fixed issue, probably since hyundai is just using left over stock since wheels were only on 19-20. If happens again (probably) will see about getting repaired.
Your the first I've heard that had to have their replacement wheels replaced. Thats not good. How long ago did you have the second set replaced ? Thinking those must have been from the bad orginal batch. Most from what I've heard thats had them replaced in the last two years haven't had any further issues. My guess is your third set should last but if they don't then yes I'd definitely ask for them to be refinished next time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Normal 5yr/60k mile warranty still applies, but they are now having dealers send them out to be refinished instead of replacing. This started a few weeks ago. Don't know if it's a supply issue or they are finding that the replacements are still having issues, or a cost saving measure. Either way, they will get refinished if you're still under the normal warranty.
Hyundai Canada told me the warrenty on these wheels is covered under your 3yr/60,000kms paint warrenty. That said they still dicided to have mine refinished under warrenty even though my car was 3 years 4 months old with 31,000kms on the odometer.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,754 Posts
Nothing to do with wheel cleaner its a defect with the wheels. Pretty much happened to every 2019 and 2020 Ultimate model. If your within your 3 year warrenty they will replace, if not they may just have them refinished which is what Hyundai just did with mine. A good tire repair shop can make them look like brand new and you won't have this problem again. Man this must have cost Hyundai a pile of money over the last few years.
I’m sure you are an expert on this subject, but my ‘19 Ultimate wheels are in “like new” condition. I simply don’t polish the Hello out of them. Who told you that every vehicle is affected?

·
Registered
380 Posts
22-SS-003H-1

This bulletin describes the procedure to refinish 19” wheels equipped on some 19-20MY Santa Fe (TMA) 2.0T vehicles with peeling clear coat.

Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2019-20MY Santa Fe (TMA) 2.0T vehicles equipped with 19” wheels produced from June 26, 2018 to July 24, 2020.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
A semi-related question, based on post above. I was under the impression 2021+ SFs were TMAs, and 2019/20 were TMs. So 2019s are also considered TMAs? Just curious. Thx.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’m sure you are an expert on this subject, but my ‘19 Ultimate wheels are in “like new” condition. I simply don’t polish the Hello out of them. Who told you that every vehicle is affected?
All I can speak for is in Canada I haven't seen one 19' or 20' Ultimate not having this problem. I looked at many when I was car searching for this exact car last winter. Could there be a few that didn't, maybe, I don't know for sure. I also estimate at least half of the affected owners don't even realize or care about the issue. The previous owner of my 19' had the issue and didn't do anything about it. I bought the car 3 years old and the wheels were already pealing terribly.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
25 Posts
A semi-related question, based on post above. I was under the impression 2021+ SFs were TMAs, and 2019/20 were TMs. So 2019s are also considered TMAs? Just curious. Thx.
They are all TMA's. Korean built ones are TM's, which right now, is only the hybrid models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know why I didn't notice this sooner..... perhaps because it is my wife's car.... but, just noticed EVERY SINGLE WHEEL'S PAINT IS DELAMINATING FROM THE WHEEL.

We bought this 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0Tbrand new... and take really good care of it.... View attachment 474607 U
View attachment 474606

As reference: My 2018 Ford F150 Lariat has wheels with painted pocket areas and no problems whatsoever with 10k more miles on it.....

Will Hyundai make good on this defect? I doubt it.... had an experience with their 'so-called' warranty with my son's 2017 Santa Fe.... and they are horrible.... won't stand behind anything.

What is the verdict on this... I can't be the only one....? I am a signmaker.... so, I hope for their sake they don't try and 'F' me over.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is has happened to my second replacement set ,clear coat peeling off with no exposure to harsh chemicals or mag chloride/salt. Out of the 60 k warranty so haven't really approached the dealer for replacement, its been going on for about a year slowly all 4 have peeling so going to go aftermarket or find a set is powder coated.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So looks like salt accelerates the process (which only makes sense)... but it can still happen even without any of that at elevated mileage, apparently. That's a bit of good news for some, I guess. Wonder if my 20" wheels could be affected or not; guess we'll find out in a few months or years.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,507 Posts
So looks like salt accelerates the process (which only makes sense)... but it can still happen even without any of that at elevated mileage, apparently. That's a bit of good news for some, I guess. Wonder if my 20" wheels could be affected or not; guess we'll find out in a few months or years.
Not really. It's a manufacturing defect. I've seen some worse than my wheels were in environments without snow and/or salted roads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts