Hyundai Forums banner

161 - 180 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel like I am always on edge driving the Santa Fe. I feel like I have to really drive very carefully and deliberately or the transmission jerks around. There is also an issue where the car has a really bad delay when taking off from a stop and then you can feel the transmission jerk into gear (this is with the isg off) There is definitely a problem with this 8 speed transmission whether it’s software related or an actual physical problem. I’ve taken it in and they say the problem is going to have to get worse before they can diagnose it (basically the transmission will have to fail). They felt the jerking as I rode with the lead technician but they said it’s operating within normal paremetars. So I guess I have to live with it until it completely fails if it ever does. Meanwhile I have to live with this crappy experience with my brand new car. Oh well.
I agree, i never know whether my Santa Fe will pull off normally or leave me stranded have way across an intersection.
Sometimes it jerks like a Morris Minor with water in the fuel....
Mostly it is lovely, but just when you need that bit of uumph, it will falter.Very annoying. Been back to dealer once,no change.Due for first service soon so will be making a big noise. i have the top spec model, wife wanted me to get a VW Tuareg , sometimes i wish I had!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, i never know whether my Santa Fe will pull off normally or leave me stranded have way across an intersection.
Sometimes it jerks like a Morris Minor with water in the fuel....
Mostly it is lovely, but just when you need that bit of uumph, it will falter.Very annoying. Been back to dealer once,no change.Due for first service soon so will be making a big noise. i have the top spec model, wife wanted me to get a VW Tuareg , sometimes i wish I had!
Mine is the 2.2 Diesel maybe not an option available in US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I brought my car to the dealer a second time for the transmission problem. This time I drove around with a tech. The tech acknowledged that there is a problem. He checked with other techs and told me that there wasn't anything they can do themselves and would consult with the 'supertechs' at Hyundai. I am now waiting to see what the 'supertechs' say. That was 4 days ago. I'll give it a week and if I haven't heard anything I will call the service manager.
Finally heard from the dealer last week. They took the car and it was inspected by the 'supertechs'. They acknowledged the problem. They found a number of 2.0T's with the same problem, so it assumed 'normal' at this time. Therefore, I am getting the car back with no fix. ConsumerReports did not recommend the engine because of uneven acceleration. I wonder it that is their interpretation of the 'slip and jerk' problem. I'm also in contact with Hyundai Consumer Affairs. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got a survey from Hyundai and there were very specific questions about the transmission, jerking or slipping and if so, what gear. What were the rpms and speed etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had my car in overnight so they could cold start this morning. Just heard. They've ordered me a new transmission.
Mountain Hyundai, Hamilton, ON.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, it has been a few weeks now since Hyundai replaced the transmission on my SF 2019 Ultimate. I wanted to give it some time before I reported on the outcome. So here it is, replacing the transmission has worked, praise be to Zeus. In fact, shifting is buttery smooth across the full range of gears. In addition to the intermittent jerk, shifting in other gears was not what I would call the best before the replacement. But with the new tranny, the jerk is completely gone and shifting up and down in every gear is silky, almost imperceptible. I just hope it stays that way. Well done Hyundai.

Cheers
J

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Well, it has been a few weeks now since Hyundai replaced the transmission on my SF 2019 Ultimate. I wanted to give it some time before I reported on the outcome. So here it is, replacing the transmission has worked, praise be to Zeus. In fact, shifting is buttery smooth across the full range of gears. In addition to the intermittent jerk, shifting in other gears was not what I would call the best before the replacement. But with the new tranny, the jerk is completely gone and shifting up and down in every gear is silky, almost imperceptible. I just hope it stays that way. Well done Hyundai.

Cheers
J

That's good to hear. Just wondering if your boost kicks in still, especially when in Sport mode? I'm still trying to get used to the turbo spooling up and want that smooth acceleration without that surge from the turbo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, bk2the6ix. The jerk is evident enough. Lets put it this way, it you were drinking a coffee with no lid on the cup when the jerk happened, you would have coffee on your lap

Cheers
J

·
Registered
8 Posts

Cheers
J
Well, that's encouraging. My story has been quite different. I've been working with a Hyundai customer service rep. Last week he arranged an inspection back at the dealer. The inspector concluded it was 'normal'. You can refer to my previous post. I protested to the CSR and he arranged another inspection, more in depth this time. They still have the car but the CSR called yesterday and told me the inspector was concerned he found after market wiring and that is the cause of the problem. I told the CSR what the wiring was and that it had nothing to do with the transmission. I had a towing package installed as well as an underseat subwoofer. The towing package just operates the lights of my popup. I had already reported the slip and jerk problem before I installed the speaker wiring. The CSR told me he'd get back to me. I am really getting the runaround here.
Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just had a new transmission installed. No more hard shifts! I had also noticed engine lug at certain speeds as well as hesitation as the turbo kicked in. All this appears to be corrected. Car runs through the gears very smoothly, has more pep, and I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
........Just had a new transmission installed. No more hard shifts! I had also noticed engine lug at certain speeds as well as hesitation as the turbo kicked in. All this appears to be corrected. Car runs through the gears very smoothly, has more pep, and I'm a happy camper........
Glad to hear they fixed you up, the transmission is nice when it’s working correctly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2019 SF is doing the slip-n-jerk when shifting from 2 to 3. I started to notice it around 5000 miles. It would only appear after about 8 hours of non-use. Same as described elsewhere in the thread, the harsh shift only takes place when the transmission is cold, only for the first few minutes, and only under light acceleration. With heavier acceleration it is not noticed. Likewise, putting it into Sport mode makes the issue unnoticeable.

At first I just assumed this was bad software on Hyundai's part but lately, the cool-down time for this issue is decreasing. I started to notice it after it sat for 4 hours and now I think it only requires a couple hours before the hard shift reappears.

It would seem I'm on my way to a transmission replacement like some of those here.

This is very disappointing. There is always risk buying a brand new design and this tranny isn't just a boiler-plate transmission with a few extra gears. It's quite a departure from their normal designs.

I had a 2002 Honda Odyssey that required 4 transmissions in it because Honda severely screwed up that design.

Has Hyundai designed a lousy transmission with this new 8-speed double clutch?

I'm a little worried and not at all looking forward to replaying the saga I had with that Honda. The only good thing I can say about that experience was that Honda knew they screwed up and took responsibility with extended warranties and rental cars. I bet that thing spent 8 weeks of it's life in the shop. It didn't cost me anything but it was quite a hassle.

I bought Hyundai for quality I could trust and I'm already losing faith in this thing.

:confused:

I got a survey from Hyundai and there were very specific questions about the transmission, jerking or slipping and if so, what gear. What were the rpms and speed etc.
That's VERY interesting. Hyundai already knows this is a real problem and not some tiny percentage failure because a gasket was installed incorrectly or something like that. This tranny may well be a flawed design if they are already openly asking such direct questions. Let's hope they come up with a real fix. Honda had to have consultants from Allison come up with a fix for their design.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My 2019 SF is doing the slip-n-jerk when shifting from 2 to 3. I started to notice it around 5000 miles. It would only appear after about 8 hours of non-use. Same as described elsewhere in the thread, the harsh shift only takes place when the transmission is cold, only for the first few minutes, and only under light acceleration. With heavier acceleration it is not noticed. Likewise, putting it into Sport mode makes the issue unnoticeable.

At first I just assumed this was bad software on Hyundai's part but lately, the cool-down time for this issue is decreasing. I started to notice it after it sat for 4 hours and now I think it only requires a couple hours before the hard shift reappears.

It would seem I'm on my way to a transmission replacement like some of those here.

This is very disappointing. There is always risk buying a brand new design and this tranny isn't just a boiler-plate transmission with a few extra gears. It's quite a departure from their normal designs.

I had a 2002 Honda Odyssey that required 4 transmissions in it because Honda severely screwed up that design.

Has Hyundai designed a dog of a transmission with this new 8-speed double clutch?

I'm a little worried and not at all looking forward to replaying the saga I had with that Honda. The only good thing I can say about that experience was that Honda knew they screwed up and took responsibility with extended warranties and rental cars. I bet that thing spent 8 weeks of it's life in the shop. It didn't cost me anything but it was quite a hassle.

I bought Hyundai for quality I could trust and I'm already losing faith in this thing.

:confused:

That's VERY interesting. Hyundai already knows this is a real problem and not some tiny percentage failure because a gasket was installed incorrectly or something like that. This tranny may well be a flawed design if they are already openly asking such direct questions. Let's hope they come up with a real fix. Honda had to have consultants from Alison come up with a fix for their design.
I don't think it's a design flaw...if it was all trannys would have this problem. My 8-speed shifts are great so far with 10K miles on it.
Could be a bad part in some or a problem with some software bugs.........
Lucky we all have a long long warranty. :=)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scott2015, the tranny is not a double clutch design!
Okay. Thanks for the correction. I had heard that it was, oddly from a guy at Hyundai.
Maybe that will make it easier to fix. :)

Nevertheless, it was a somewhat new design aside from a couple extra gears.

As detailed here...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it's a design flaw...if it was all trannys would have this problem. My 8-speed shifts are great so far with 10K miles on it.
Could be a bad part in some or a problem with some software bugs.........
Lucky we all have a long long warranty. :=)
That's not exactly correct. A flaw might well reveal itself differently or in a different time frame depending many external variables like proportion of highway vs city miles, ambient temperatures, number of heating-cooling cycles, etc. The bad Honda Odyssey transmissions actually damaged themselves more with smooth highway driving where the fluid wasn't sloshing around as much thus allowing their 2nd gear to get overheated. Many owners didn't see failures for 30k miles or more. It took a while for the pattern to emerge and the design flaw to be acknowledged in that case. Some people paid to have transmissions replaced at 50 or 60k and Honda later reimbursed them.

I would like to believe that there are a small percentage of trannys with a bad valve or something like that but the survey from Hyundai is rather telling. They wouldn't bother with a survey of any kind for a problem that was limited to a small batch of bad parts effecting a small percentage of vehicles. If they are asking questions about which shifts are problematic and at what rpm, they are trying to characterize a problem that is already becoming evident in numbers that can't be statistically treated as outliers.

Let's hope you're right. Indeed the warranty makes it easier to stomach but reliability is a big deal even if it doesn't cost anything to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
443 Posts
I thought this tranny is the same in Genesis which has been around for a few years. Granted it might have some improvement over the years.

161 - 180 of 229 Posts