Hyundai Forums banner

141 - 160 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Update regarding my transmission:

Left the vehicle over night last week for tech to run it cold. The tech noted hard shifts from 3-4 and 4-5. They put me in an Enterprise rental and are replacing the torque converter. This was one week ago. They are still waiting for the part to arrive.

On a side note, I notice ZerosweeT had his transmission replaced but is still having issues. Anyone else having issues after having the torque converter replaced or has that solved the problem for most?
My transmission was just plain bad, not just jerking. Reverse went out completely and the car would barely get out of 1st gear and would not go past 3rd no matter what. Now it seems my new transmission (not sure if a torque converter is replaced with a new transmission, I know very little about cars) is having the problem everyone else is having. It drives fine and isn’t breaking but it jerks on 1st - 3rd gears. I can exacerbate the issue by manually shifting it above 3k rpm from 2nd to 3rd. Bringing it back in next week. This is starting to become lemon law territory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum - "glad" to be here

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and only wish I had found it a couple of weeks ago. My 2019 Santa Fe (Ultimate 2.0T) is having similar problems to what I've seen some of you describe on here. My shop did the whole reset of adaptives the first time in, and it seems "worse" now - though I'm sure it's just the same bad performance as before. My issues started at ~25 miles. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted their updates so far, and I'll do the same for mine (headed into the shop again tomorrow). Best of 'luck' everyone! **** it feels strange to say that for a new vehicle.

PS - My Santa Fe is my 4th new Hyundai (Accent, Veloster, Genesis Coupe), so I was a believer that Hyundai made great stuff.

My transmission was just plain bad, not just jerking. Reverse went out completely and the car would barely get out of 1st gear and would not go past 3rd no matter what. Now it seems my new transmission (not sure if a torque converter is replaced with a new transmission, I know very little about cars) is having the problem everyone else is having. It drives fine and isn’t breaking but it jerks on 1st - 3rd gears. I can exacerbate the issue by manually shifting it above 3k rpm from 2nd to 3rd. Bringing it back in next week. This is starting to become lemon law territory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and only wish I had found it a couple of weeks ago. My 2019 Santa Fe (Ultimate 2.0T) is having similar problems to what I've seen some of you describe on here. My shop did the whole reset of adaptives the first time in, and it seems "worse" now - though I'm sure it's just the same bad performance as before. My issues started at ~25 miles. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted their updates so far, and I'll do the same for mine (headed into the shop again tomorrow). Best of 'luck' everyone! **** it feels strange to say that for a new vehicle.

PS - My Santa Fe is my 4th new Hyundai (Accent, Veloster, Genesis Coupe), so I was a believer that Hyundai made great stuff.
Good luck! Make sure you leave it over night for them to do a cold start in the morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:

Picked up my Santa Fe today after having the torque converter replaced. The head tech said the torque converters are essentially locking up when the engine is cold and trying to get the transmissions to 4th gear ASAP, hence the hard shifts and sluggish torque. He said there was a production span of 9 months of Santa Fe's that automatically get new torque converters. The reason some people received new transmissions instead of torque converters was dependent upon access to parts.

On a separate note, my transmissions is shifting normal from 2-3-4 now, but on my way home from the dealership I had a weird hiccup on the interstate that I was able to reproduce 3 or 4 times within a few minute time frame. While cruising, when I put my foot into the accelerator pedal, the RPMs would jump to 4500-5000, but I wouldn't accelerate from my current speed. I headed back to the dealership and rode with the tech -- of course we couldn't duplicate the issue. He said to keep an eye on it and definitely bring it back if it happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:

Picked up my Santa Fe today after having the torque converter replaced. The head tech said the torque converters are essentially locking up when the engine is cold and trying to get the transmissions to 4th gear ASAP, hence the hard shifts and sluggish torque. He said there was a production span of 9 months of Santa Fe's that automatically get new torque converters. The reason some people received new transmissions instead of torque converters was dependent upon access to parts.

On a separate note, my transmissions is shifting normal from 2-3-4 now, but on my way home from the dealership I had a weird hiccup on the interstate that I was able to reproduce 3 or 4 times within a few minute time frame. While cruising, when I put my foot into the accelerator pedal, the RPMs would jump to 4500-5000, but I wouldn't accelerate from my current speed. I headed back to the dealership and rode with the tech -- of course we couldn't duplicate the issue. He said to keep an eye on it and definitely bring it back if it happens again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a question about the build dates of these Santa Fe's with transmission issues. Are these "early build ' cars? Have these issues been dealt with by Hyundai in their current production. I am getting ready to buy but these posts are giving me hesitation I appreciate your input

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Strong Warranty

I have a question about the build dates of these Santa Fe's with transmission issues. Are these "early build ' cars? Have these issues been dealt with by Hyundai in their current production. I am getting ready to buy but these posts are giving me hesitation I appreciate your input
I would not worry...The great majority are not having problems PLUS you would have one of the strongest warranty in the car business. My car was built in Dec 2018 and it is trouble free.

·
Registered
150 Posts

If you want my opinion, I personally would not buy it again. Hindsight is 20/20. Not because I’ve had a transmission issue but because there are so many things wrong including fit and finish. You can definitely tell this is a first year model. I’ve always been told to never buy the first year of a cars redesign. But I got sucked into it. Totally my fault, I knew better, but it was such a great price, brand new, shiny and had lots of options. But now looking back that was impulsive and I regret my purchase. I’d wait until they build this iteration for a few years before buying into it. If you need a car now go with something that has been in production for a while and has most of the kinks worked out. That’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want my opinion, I personally would not buy it again. Hindsight is 20/20. Not because I’ve had a transmission issue but because there are so many things wrong including fit and finish. You can definitely tell this is a first year model. I’ve always been told to never buy the first year of a cars redesign. But I got sucked into it. Totally my fault, I knew better, but it was such a great price, brand new, shiny and had lots of options. But now looking back that was impulsive and I regret my purchase. I’d wait until they build this iteration for a few years before buying into it. If you need a car now go with something that has been in production for a while and has most of the kinks worked out. That’s just my opinion.
In terms of fit and finish, I actually think the quality increased. The quality of materials used and the interior design is a huge upgrade compared to my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I've yet to have any issues with my 2019. But its still brand new. Only 1k miles. My build date is April 2019.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
In terms of fit and finish, I actually think the quality increased. The quality of materials used and the interior design is a huge upgrade compared to my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I've yet to have any issues with my 2019. But its still brand new. Only 1k miles. My build date is April 2019.
I agree with you on this one...IMHO this car is well built and fit and finish is as good as some of the lux cars out there. I have about 7000 miles on the car and I'm getting 27.1 mpg since new (using gas purchased and mileage)
This is my 8th Hyundai since 2004 and NO warranty problem----a great record :=)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am taking mine in July 19th to have the transmission replaced. I will keep the group updated on the outcome.

Cheers
J
I'm located in Mississauga. Curious to see how 'bad' the jerking/slipping was. I'm not sure if I have this issue. There is some lag sometimes, but its not really that noticable and hasn't really effected daily driving.

Care to meet up and see how my car drives? I need some assurance whether or not I'm having this issue lol.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective, USA and Candian sales in the last 9 months are about 106,000 units.
About 15 + or - people are having problems on this forum with transmissions. it's not a major problem for most.

Most of the 8 pages are posts from the same people making it sound like a major issue when it's not
Those people do have valid issues but in the long run, Hyundai will have a fix.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just to keep things in perspective, USA and Candian sales in the last 9 months are about 106,000 units.
About 15 + or - people are having problems on this forum with transmissions. it's not a major problem for most.

Most of the 8 pages are posts from the same people making it sound like a major issue when it's not
Those people do have valid issues but in the long run, Hyundai will have a fix.
That’s actually a pretty large sample size. You have to figure there are those experiencing this issue and aren’t on forums. Same with people with no issues. It stands to reason the people with issues on this forum is probably a higher percentage than the general population of those with Santa Fe’s. I’d be interested to know how many Santa Fe’s are actually having this issue? 1-2%? 5%?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings, I bought a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD on Dec 14, 2018. I have 1569 miles on it as of today, Jan 21, 2019. I have noticed a harsh shift from 1-2nd gear ( guessing) when accelerating gently ONLY while cold. Once underway, the harsh shift is gone and occurs only when the transmission shifts around 20mph. It does not seem to matter what drive mode I am in, just a cold start issue. A minor annoyance but repetitive, as in one harsh shift before things warm up. I will wait until the 3K oil change before I address this issue if it continues to occur then. I really like the vehicle overall and am getting 26mpg average over 1600 miles, which included the break in period as specified in the owners manual. Just chiming in here, thanks for the opportunity.
I have noticed this transmission jerking (at around 20mph) since i got it in Dec, 2018. It doesn't matter if its cold out or warm out. Even in the high 80's heat of Ohio, it happens. And it seems to happen only on the first drive of the day. Even if I sit and let it warm up while putting in Nav or something else, it still does it. I hope that doesn't become a bigger problem. I haven't addressed it with the dealer yet. I have 13k on it and still does it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Add me to the list. 600 miles. Purchased about 2 weeks ago. Build date 5/31/19. Going to reference Techline Case posted in the forums. Those that have had their converter replaced. How has it been? Resolved the issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys have the exact same problem with my Hyundai Sonata 2017, 47,000km. Perth WA Australia.

2 gear jerks only on cold transmission, after 10min of driving when everything is warmed up, jerk is disappearing.

I've been at my local Hyundai service. 2 technicans were testing my Sonata at cold start in the morning (left the car for 2 days) They said it's normal behaviour of the transmission but my guess is they don't know how to fix it 🤬

Those that have had their converter replaced. How has it been? Resolved the issue?
I would like to also know if the converter replacement helped 🤔

·
Registered
176 Posts
Guys have the exact same problem with my Hyundai Sonata 2017, 47,000km. Perth WA Australia.

2 gear jerks only on cold transmission, after 10min of driving when everything is warmed up, jerk is disappearing.

I've been at my local Hyundai service. 2 technicans were testing my Sonata at cold start in the morning (left the car for 2 days) They said it's normal behaviour of the transmission but my guess is they don't know how to fix it 🤬

I would like to also know if the converter replacement helped 🤔

Anybody?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine is currently in the shop. I pick it up tomorrow. I was supposed to get it today, but I was told that I have a leaking axle seal....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

They have to order the part in to R&R tomorrow. Hopefully, I have it back by afternoon.

I will post initial effect in a few days after I have had a chance to drive it a few times from cold start. Of course, I will update periodically regardless of the outcome.

I have only 6K kilometers on the clock, that's 236,220,500 inches for you Yanks :whistle:

Cheers
J

141 - 160 of 213 Posts