Hyundai Forums banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's an interesting thread on the details of the new 2019 transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did read beyond the first post! It's a very interesting thread down towards the bottom of the first page. I understand it's not a dual clutch. It is nevertheless, new for 2019 although based on the previous 6-speed with an apparently new valve body design as noted in the linked article. It's not at all the same Genesis tranny that's been around for a few years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I found it strange for a manufacturer to have 2 different trannies with same number of gears. Not good financial decision imo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on the intended purpose. For instance the Palisade and Telluride seem to be getting 8's as well but more robust designs as the loading on those transmissions will be very different. More horsepower from the flywheel has to be translated to the output shaft which is tasked with moving a greater load. You can't build them the same. That would end up with either an undersized trans on one vehicle or an oversized one on the other. On top of that as any design ages it may finally become necessary to change the design due to parts or processes that have changed or are no longer available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info! Where did you find this?

That TSB appears to be specific to the 2.0T but clearly it's the identical issue and likely the exact same remedy. The 2.0T had a few more horses but the transmission is the same and the description of the symptoms are identical. On top of that, as the TSB notes, the problem only shows up at very low throttle 15-30% when the drive train is cold. Under such light acceleration there probably isn't much difference between the engines as far as the tranny is concerned.

I assume there is or will soon be a similar TSB for the non-turbo engines.

3. If the transmission has a harsh 2-3 or 3-4 upshift at small accelerator pedal input
(15~30% APS), but the issue does not occur after the ATF is warmed to normal operating
temperatures (above 180°F or 80°C), refer to the 2019 Santa Fe Shop Manual and replace the
torque converter.

Yup... that's it exactly.

Appears that this is not normal after all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That would be a far better scenario than a fundamental design flaw which are sometimes quite difficult to fix. If it's just a batch of bad torque converters than we can get them replaced and go back to trusting our powertrains. I never could get back to trusting the Honda trannys. I just knew it was going to fail again, and it did 3 times!!! :-(

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's seems very strange that the TSB is specific to the 2.0T. It's the same transmission!

Clearly it's the identical issue and at those throttle levels with a cold engine there is probably little difference between the 2.4 and the 2.0T. The turbo certainly isn't providing any appreciable boost at that point.

I'm worried that the dealer is going to be less than responsive on this since I don't have the 2.0T and they can claim that it's not the same problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well i'm glad it's getting some attention. Mine hasn't done it as much anymore since i've switched to comfort mode vs smart. Now that i've said it, i'm sure it will do it the next time I drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, that's encouraging. My story has been quite different. I've been working with a Hyundai customer service rep. Last week he arranged an inspection back at the dealer. The inspector concluded it was 'normal'. You can refer to my previous post. I protested to the CSR and he arranged another inspection, more in depth this time. They still have the car but the CSR called yesterday and told me the inspector was concerned he found after market wiring and that is the cause of the problem. I told the CSR what the wiring was and that it had nothing to do with the transmission. I had a towing package installed as well as an underseat subwoofer. The towing package just operates the lights of my popup. I had already reported the slip and jerk problem before I installed the speaker wiring. The CSR told me he'd get back to me. I am really getting the runaround here.
Jeff
I couldn't get anywhere with that dealer. I decided to try another dealer before going the lemon law route. The other dealer gave me no grief and replaced the transmission. Glad that's over with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i'm glad it's getting some attention. Mine hasn't done it as much anymore since i've switched to comfort mode vs smart. Now that i've said it, i'm sure it will do it the next time I drive.
I don't think I would see "Comfort" mode as a solution. I think that mode simply modulates the clutch engagement more which in my understanding will cause more wear in the long run. I stick to Smart Mode. In any case, a bad torque converter needs to be replaced. Mine has certainly gotten worse over the last month.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't think I would see "Comfort" mode as a solution. I think that mode simply modulates the clutch engagement more which in my understanding will cause more wear in the long run. I stick to Smart Mode. In any case, a bad torque converter needs to be replaced.

I'm a very light footed driving. Smart mode imo was shifting gears too quickly causing the engine/tranny to strain and struggle to find the right gear? Never said said it was the solution but only to report what has helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand. Still, I think the only real help is to get the torque converter replaced. I'd like to see a TSB that covers the 2.4 as well. There certainly will be one eventually.

I'm not going to wait for the official word though. Mine is bad enough that it will throw me forward in my seat early in the morning while driving out of my neighborhood. I like the car but it feels like a piece of junk for the first 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh. Yeah mine isn't hat bad at all. I think mine is more of a hunting for a gear more of a slip and not a jerk. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened in a while.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts