Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2.0t ultimate 8speed on december 20.
. Question is.
Any having a hard jerk at 2/3 sometimes 4th gear
City driving. Doesnt always happen but it happens alot . Been to the dealership at 800km they looked at scanned it. Told me to drive it let its get to learn your way of driving ok.. 2000k i go back to dealership leave the car over night, next morning i show up to test drive the car with mechanic, and still jerking 2/3/4 at about 2000-3000 rpm 30-40km, mechanic feels it so takes it in shop resets values or whatever ,tells me i have to drive it for about 6000km. It has 3500km on it now. never heared of trying to work in a kicking tranmission.. or is this normal this kicking 2nd 3rd gear???
I find it messed up i have to deal with this and drive a kicking car not 1month old..call Hyundai canada they called dealership now waiting for dealership to call me.
Anyone having a jerkin/kicking tranmission??
Any advice how to deal with this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine has jerked on several occasions. Not a regular thing. I don’t have a drive mode selector it’s permanently on comfort. It has done it Maybe 20 times over 3500 miles. It seems to do it more when it’s cold and always the first couple gears and the rest are as smooth as butter. Now I rarely have a smooth shift from first to second. I can always feel it going into second but it doesn’t jerk per say, you can just feel the pull of it going into gear much worse. But the rest of the gears are so smooth you can barely tell it’s shifting. I’m going to wait and see if it works itself out, probably around 5k miles and then I may bring it in and see if mine is having issues as well. Is this a new transmission for hujndai or has this been in any of their other cars at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has jerked on several occasions. Not a regular thing. I don’t have a drive mode selector it’s permanently on comfort. It has done it Maybe 20 times over 3500 miles. It seems to do it more when it’s cold and always the first couple gears and the rest are as smooth as butter. Now I rarely have a smooth shift from first to second. I can always feel it going into second but it doesn’t jerk per say, you can just feel the pull of it going into gear much worse. But the rest of the gears are so smooth you can barely tell it’s shifting. I’m going to wait and see if it works itself out, probably around 5k miles and then I may bring it in and see if mine is having issues as well. Is this a new transmission for hujndai or has this been in any of their other cars at all?

Yup this is exactly what im experiencing also..
Different drive modes , cruise control, manual mode doesnt matter it happens. Like first 30min of driving is bad.. take it on the highway would be good afterwards..park it for few hours and start it up the harsh shifts comes back... but every other gear is sooo smooth cant even tell it shifts...put it like this my coffee spills all over the cup holder when it shifts and jerks 2/3/4 occasionally but more often then i like.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why not take it to the dealer?
My dealer is over an hour away, sometimes 2 hours if I hit morning traffic. I’m busy with work through the week and they only do oil changes etc on Saturday’s, no warranty repairs. Not taking a day off work to be told they couldn’t reproduce the issue or like the OP was told, to drive and let it learn etc. So I’ll wait until it goes away or gets worse and is an obvious problem, it’s still shifting so I’m not that worried about it but it was worth mentioning since someone is bringing it up. Back to work I go. 🚙

·
Registered
150 Posts

Yup this is exactly what im experiencing also..
Different drive modes , cruise control, manual mode doesnt matter it happens. Like first 30min of driving is bad.. take it on the highway would be good afterwards..park it for few hours and start it up the harsh shifts comes back... but every other gear is sooo smooth cant even tell it shifts...put it like this my coffee spills all over the cup holder when it shifts and jerks 2/3/4 occasionally but more often then i like.
Mine isn’t quite bad enough to spill anything but it is very noticeable. If mine was that bad I would be on the dealer demanding it be fixed honestly. That’s not something it’s going to fix itself imo

·
Registered
45 Posts
Greetings, I bought a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD on Dec 14, 2018. I have 1569 miles on it as of today, Jan 21, 2019. I have noticed a harsh shift from 1-2nd gear ( guessing) when accelerating gently ONLY while cold. Once underway, the harsh shift is gone and occurs only when the transmission shifts around 20mph. It does not seem to matter what drive mode I am in, just a cold start issue. A minor annoyance but repetitive, as in one harsh shift before things warm up. I will wait until the 3K oil change before I address this issue if it continues to occur then. I really like the vehicle overall and am getting 26mpg average over 1600 miles, which included the break in period as specified in the owners manual. Just chiming in here, thanks for the opportunity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine will jerk when it's cold. Seems more so in Smart mode. Once warmed up it's OK. My 2013 Santa Fe did too. I think it's just the cold.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Transmission shifting behaviors when cold
Several have mentioned experiencing less than ideal shifting behaviors when the vehicle is cold, most often 2nd to 3rd. I'm seeing this too. Usually at 20 degrees or lower, during the first mile of driving, mine seems to "hunt" or "slip" in the lower gears. RPM's jump and drop as it dabbles around 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, even under light throttle. After the short warm-up it shifts normally. My '13 SFS did the same thing and I learned to just live with it. Is this simply normal due to the characteristics of the transmission fluid? Could a tranny fluid with a wider temperature range be used (without voiding warranty)?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Okay, I'll leave my information in here.

For context, I live in Washington state, where it has been a mild winter, never really going below 20 degrees in my area.

-Purchased vehicle in mid January, not test driving it as I did so at another dealer (man I should have)
-Noticed almost immediately that issue was occurring in second gear. Felt as if it was slipping through second, then jamming into 3rd. Could get it to do so in both Comfort and ECO, as well as with Manual on both.
-Took it into dealer. They logged it as driving one mile. Logged it as only being in the shop for an hour as well. Ended up just resetting TCU learning procedures and to just drive it.
-Problem persisted.

Fast forward to a snow storm last weekend.

-Drive up to mountains to test out AWD
-Works great
-Get stuck in a parking lot in some deep snow
-End up giving it quite a bit of force to try and get out, heating up the transmission quite a bit
-After getting off the mountain and back into the city, no more shifting issues.
-Next day? Problem is back.

It's definitely heat related. If it was a programming issue, it would happen ALL the time. It seems to me like it's a hydraulic issue, or a mistep in coding between the ECU and the TCU.

Either way, it's annoying as all ****, since I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine often jerks between what would seem to be 1st & 2nd. Warm or cold doesn't matter. Plan to mention to the dealer when I'm there next.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could you clarify what "normal" mode is? I only saw 3 options on the 2.0 Ultimate trim i.e. Comfort, Sport & Smart. The reports on this forum seems to indicate irrespective of the mode it is in, the issue exists.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could you clarify what "normal" mode is? I only saw 3 options on the 2.0 Ultimate trim i.e. Comfort, Sport & Smart. The reports on this forum seems to indicate irrespective of the mode it is in, the issue exists.
Normal would correlate to Comfort while Eco would correlate to SMART, more or less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Flint, MI guy, I am having the EXACT same issue as Oakwood Canada guy, I have the 2019 2.0T Ultimate Santa FE FWD. My wife and I went to Vegas for a long weekend, I dropped my Santa Fe off at my Hyundai dealer here in Houston before we left. The Hyundai dealer did the cold start thing and of course they could not replicate. But the problem EXISTS in my case between 2nd and 3rd gear, that shift occurs at exactly 20 MPH in my Hyundai Santa FE 2.0T when cold.

When cold, the shift is HARSH and ABRUPT even at a feather light throttle, the drive mode does not matter one bit. As a matter of fact, I get the feeling that the 8 speed tranny shift from 2nd to 3rd when cold, it acts like I had just stolen this vehicle and was running from the law, that is the kind of "hard acceleration" type shift, nothing could be further from the truth.

Here in Houston, the tranny warms up in about 3 miles, the problem is gone. Gone. Gone, for the rest of the drive, a warm start does not repeat these symptoms, no problematic 2nd-3rd shift. Smooth as butter.

I will stay on this issue, for it is a problem that is NOT going be solved by the "tranny learning your driving behavior" BS. This ain't that animal, this is a future service bulletin coming down the pipe from Hyundai for a new 8 spd auto tranny in a newly designed Santa Fe . It will get solved, but it is going to require Hyundai's input......

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I find this post interesting because I have no transmission problems. I have driven my S.F. during our -20f temps and it shifted fine.

I love the heated seats and steering wheel :=)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, this thread is a relief.

So I don't think it's the shift, let me explain...

2019 Santa Fe, Limited, FWD, 2.0T. 8000mi.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Colder day, like below 30.
2) Drive Mode, Smart.
3) Put into manual shift mode.
4) Start out in 1, 'normal' acceleration.
5) Shift to 2 at about 15-20.
Shortly after the shift but seemingly fully in 2, car will jerk or shudder.
Shifting up through 3, 4, 5, etc. it doesn't happen again.

Of course, it happens in drive, but it's much harder to tell if it's during the shift or in gear. (I'm also assuming that the manual shift mode is truly reporting the gear - with modern automatic it's not like I have a true manual with a clutch.)

Doesn't happen when warmed up, curious to see if it does it in the summer.

I'm in the camp of the previous poster, might wait until next service, figure I have 4 more winters until it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Flint, MI guy, I am having the EXACT same issue as Oakwood Canada guy, I have the 2019 2.0T Ultimate Santa FE FWD. My wife and I went to Vegas for a long weekend, I dropped my Santa Fe off at my Hyundai dealer here in Houston before we left. The Hyundai dealer did the cold start thing and of course they could not replicate. But the problem EXISTS in my case between 2nd and 3rd gear, that shift occurs at exactly 20 MPH in my Hyundai Santa FE 2.0T when cold.

When cold, the shift is HARSH and ABRUPT even at a feather light throttle, the drive mode does not matter one bit. As a matter of fact, I get the feeling that the 8 speed tranny shift from 2nd to 3rd when cold, it acts like I had just stolen this vehicle and was running from the law, that is the kind of "hard acceleration" type shift, nothing could be further from the truth.

Here in Houston, the tranny warms up in about 3 miles, the problem is gone. Gone. Gone, for the rest of the drive, a warm start does not repeat these symptoms, no problematic 2nd-3rd shift. Smooth as butter.

I will stay on this issue, for it is a problem that is NOT going be solved by the "tranny learning your driving behavior" BS. This ain't that animal, this is a future service bulletin coming down the pipe from Hyundai for a new 8 spd auto tranny in a newly designed Santa Fe . It will get solved, but it is going to require Hyundai's input......
Another idiom mangled. :smile:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/2413/which-is-correct-coming-down-the-pike-or-pipe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here with 2nd to 3rd shift after warming up it’s fine.Will have first oil change in a few weeks at dealership,will deal with it then.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts