Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 2.4 AWD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I did a search, but didn't find anything close.

I have a 2019 Santa Fe SE. Great car, but I am missing some of the small comforts that the higher end trim models have. Right now, I am trying to upgrade the basic, manual rearview mirror with an auto-dimming one with HomeLink buttons. I did this on my old Sienna.

I took off the overhead light module out and peeked behind the headliner. I found a random connector glued to the headliner (near where the driver side sun visor is), covered in foam tape. It looks like it could be the end of the harness that would be for the mirror. I know I really only need ground and a constant source of 12v power, so if I could tap into these wires, I wouldn't need to fuss with running wires down the A-pillar to get to the fuse box.

Has anyone else with an SE upgraded their mirror? Or replaced their mirror on a higher model trim version?

Again, my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
55 Posts
Seems like your on to something. They probably run the same wiring harness, and then just add the technical bits later. If you could just order a auto-dimming mirror from Hyundai and swap them out, that would be some good info to have on these forums.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
656 Posts
There are 3 buttons on the left for the techs. It is possible that everything has to be connected and the carputer then enables the mirror with some sort of protocol. That is what I would do to prevent after sales upgrade on a lower trim lol. You have to try it. Let us know.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
179 Posts
Does your original mirror have the Blue Link telematics buttons. I see that the SE does not have this mirror? I did a mirror upgrade on my 15 Elantra (original mirror had the telematics) and it was a project, but the new Hyundai mirror came with all the necessary parts and excellent instructions. I would say that if you have the telematics already then the your good. But if it doesn't then you may be missing some components that aren't part of the new mirror. The homelink and auto-dimming should work on the computer in the mirror, but there's probably an external computer that runs the Blue Link items.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your original mirror have the Blue Link telematics buttons. I see that the SE does not have this mirror?
Right, the SE doesn't have this. It's the ultra basic, non-dimming, non-electrified mirror. Old school. Hyundai uses Gentex mirrors, so getting an upgraded model (new or used) is easy. The harder part is the wiring. Well, not hard, but I'm lazy. I'd like to avoid running wires through the headliner and popping off any plastic trim. If this connector I found is indeed for the mirror (for the higher model trims), I could just get the right wiring harness and hook it up. Boom.

Really all I want is the auto-dimming and the garage door opener buttons to work.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
179 Posts
Right, the SE doesn't have this. It's the ultra basic, non-dimming, non-electrified mirror. Old school. Hyundai uses Gentex mirrors, so getting an upgraded model (new or used) is easy. The harder part is the wiring. Well, not hard, but I'm lazy. I'd like to avoid running wires through the headliner and popping off any plastic trim. If this connector I found is indeed for the mirror (for the higher model trims), I could just get the right wiring harness and hook it up. Boom.

Really all I want is the auto-dimming and the garage door opener buttons to work.
Yep. When I did the mirror on my '15 Elantra following the Hyundai instructions I had to get a couple power wires under the front edge of the headliner and the A-pillar trim (if I remember right it was for constant power supply). When you take out the A-pillar trim you have to cut a retainer that keeps it from fully dislodging if the side curtain airbag is triggered. A replacement retainer was part of the kit from Hyundai. I'm guessing that if you were just looking for auto dimming and homelink buttons you'd want to tap into constant power. I'd also guess that any connector that is part of your original harness probably has to do with the BlueLink system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got the SE, but you want the auto dimming mirror, wireless charging, drive modes. Why didn't you just get a higher trim level?
Well, we were on a budget, had a car to trade-in and bought used. We got our 2019 SE with 23k miles on it for $20k with a $4k trade-in value. The higher trim (new) was substantially more expensive. No inventory of them used in our area. I'm also likely to be needing a new car myself (the SF was for the wife), so... trying to stretch my money is all.

Plus, some of these items are really inexpensive to add afterwards: I got an auto-dimming mirror for $20, the wireless charger is about $80, got a cargo cover for $90... for those things, looking to after-market items is a no brainer.

The drive mode question was more of "I wonder if my car has this?" question. From what I hear, the driving modes aren't that awesome. :LOL:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the radio silence. I got my mirror in the mail this week. Going to try and power it up this weekend. If it powers up, I will attempt the install. Am going to go to Hyundai and ask about the connector in the headliner. Supposedly, the wiring harness which connects to it costs over $500. :ROFLMAO: I found the wiring schematic and will let you know what I find out.

Here's what I got for $16 (needs to be cleaned up a bit).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts