Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dash indicator popped on, showing driver side rear brake light problem. Sure enough, burned out! So replaced the bulb! Dash indicator disappeared.

Drove around awhile this morning and fault lite came back on. Checked and confirmed rear brake light works.

So why does dash indicator still comes on?

thoughts? Thanks, Vince in Sterling, VA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's so odd because I have the same thing happen in my 2018 Kona , I purchased two extra spare phone just in case !

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit more info. Before replacing the bulb, the center dash dash and icon indicators remained on, whether driving or braking. Today, while driving around, the indicators remained off, even if light braking, but popped on when braking harder. From a stop, driving a couple mins, then all indicators go off and if slowing down again for stop, then they pop on again.

Any Hyundai mechanics online here with thoughts?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Does the Kona have a low brake fluid indicator? Might check the fluid level in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kona gets serviced regularly at the Hyundai dealership, so I wouldn’t think brake fluid is low, but I’ll double check. On a side note, I was driving all morning today, city traffic and those indicators never popped up, but this afternoon, it started occurring again. I’m beginning to think it’s a sensor problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question: is there any difference between an OEM Hyundai brake light bulb and a aftermarket bulb I bought from Advance Auto?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well last night the brake light came on again and my bulb is out on the left hand side ....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you figure out the light situation ? I'm at the dealer now and there taking a look at it !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out there are internal differences between aftermarket and OEM bulbs. I compared the two, side-by-side. The aftermarket bulb did function when I applied the brakes, but dash indicators remained. I replaced that new aftermarket bulb with new OEM bulb. All dash indicators and faults disappeared. Four days later, still no problems. I hadn’t thought replacement bulbs from parts stores were any different from OEM. But there is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts