Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to move forward:

February 2019, I was driving on the highway at highway speeds, approximately 70mph and the car's FCA warning message appeared randomly and shortly after the car suddenly and automatically braked hard while at high speed. Myself and the passenger were ok but definitely scared as this was a very sudden brake. Imagine standing on the brake at 70mph. Luckily this was late at night and the road was empty.

After the incident the car's transmission was struggling (2x the rpm the car is normally at) and the check engine light came on.

We pulled off at the next exit and turned of the vehicle. We also called the Hyundai support line. The customer service personnel had never heard of this issue. The customer service agent opened a case number.

Next day we bring it in to the dealership (appt made by the customer service team) and the check engine light was not on and they found an issue with the battery. Replaced the battery. The dealership found no codes though.

No issues until a few weeks ago. Same issue, Kona automatically braked hard for no reason. Bring back to dealership, again no codes and this time the battery was fine. Dealership worked with Hyundai Techline but they cannot find the issue, no diagnosis no fix, and the issue cannot be replicated. Again it has only happened 2x in a year with 10000 miles in between. I am definitely scared to drive this car again. I have been told they cannot disconnect or disable the FCA system as it is a safety feature. Since the techs cannot find the issue they cannot fix anything. I think that is the worse problem is I feel I am driving a time bomb that at any moment can brake on its own.

Driving the car now since I need it and have no other choice, but I have to manually turn off the FCA every time I start the car which was the only suggestion the dealership gave. I am at my wit's end dealing with the dealership, the customer service team, and the Hyundai complaints center all trying to dodge my calls and the problem.

Has anyone else seen this or can help me figure out what to do next? My family does not feel safe being in this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had the car struggle with its front sensors in heavy rain and so starts to slow down. I regain control by putting my foot on the pedal for a period. The cruise control switches off temporarily but normal service resumes once I am past the very bad weather when I can put cruise control back on and relax again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same exact thing happen to me three times now, under the same conditions as you reported. The first two times happened at the same spot on the same highway. The system warning beeped, hard brake, then the engine revved at 4,000 rpm. No check engine light though. I pulled over and the car was fine after restarting it. I took it to the dealer who reset the computer. The tech said there was likely something in that area interfering with the system radar since it happened in the same spot. Well, three weeks later it happened again on the same road but in a different place (20 miles away from the first two incidents). This car is slated to go to my daughter and that road is the one she'll travel on to and from school. I definitely don't feel the car is safe if something can randomly trip the FCA. I'll take it to the dealer again, but I'm doubtful they'll have a solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting Dave. Can you let me know if the dealer finds anything? We havent had the issue happen since but its always in the back of my mind whenever i get in the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
what trim levels is this happening in? i have a 2019 2.0 SE AWD and this has never happened. the original window sticker says my car is equipped with this feature but i have never seen any type of warning from this feature. am i correct in thinking that the SE trim does not have this feature?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what trim levels is this happening in? i have a 2019 2.0 SE AWD and this has never happened. the original window sticker says my car is equipped with this feature but i have never seen any type of warning from this feature. am i correct in thinking that the SE trim does not have this feature?
We have a 2019 2.0 SW AWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is super scary. Maybe it's worth having a dashcam to record this next time it happens. That'll help gather the attention of Hyundai. Some engineers need to look into this as clearly it looks like the folks at the dealership are under equipped to troubleshoot this kind of software issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to move forward:

February 2019, I was driving on the highway at highway speeds, approximately 70mph and the car's FCA warning message appeared randomly and shortly after the car suddenly and automatically braked hard while at high speed. Myself and the passenger were ok but definitely scared as this was a very sudden brake. Imagine standing on the brake at 70mph. Luckily this was late at night and the road was empty.

After the incident the car's transmission was struggling (2x the rpm the car is normally at) and the check engine light came on.

We pulled off at the next exit and turned of the vehicle. We also called the Hyundai support line. The customer service personnel had never heard of this issue. The customer service agent opened a case number.

Next day we bring it in to the dealership (appt made by the customer service team) and the check engine light was not on and they found an issue with the battery. Replaced the battery. The dealership found no codes though.

No issues until a few weeks ago. Same issue, Kona automatically braked hard for no reason. Bring back to dealership, again no codes and this time the battery was fine. Dealership worked with Hyundai Techline but they cannot find the issue, no diagnosis no fix, and the issue cannot be replicated. Again it has only happened 2x in a year with 10000 miles in between. I am definitely scared to drive this car again. I have been told they cannot disconnect or disable the FCA system as it is a safety feature. Since the techs cannot find the issue they cannot fix anything. I think that is the worse problem is I feel I am driving a time bomb that at any moment can brake on its own.

Driving the car now since I need it and have no other choice, but I have to manually turn off the FCA every time I start the car which was the only suggestion the dealership gave. I am at my wit's end dealing with the dealership, the customer service team, and the Hyundai complaints center all trying to dodge my calls and the problem.

Has anyone else seen this or can help me figure out what to do next? My family does not feel safe being in this car.
I'm having the same problem and it's scary and frustrating. The first time it happened I was driving 65mph and it felt like I had run over something huge and metal in the road. No one was around, and nothing was in the road.
The dealership got the problem to replicate once, they did something with the computer and it was great for a while, but it has started doing it again. They had my car all day today but couldn't replicate the problem, so called me to pick it up.
No suggestions were made for what to do next. I am nervous every time I get behind the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts