Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I see the article says that the 8" infotainment screen is the standard one. And has a faster processor. And it says

Saw another article that stated 5" on SE, 7" on the rest with 8" optional on Sport and Limited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Looks like wireless charging's new for sedans (GTs already have them), and the cluster's improved; while the temp & fuel guages are still inset with the tach & speedo, they're more sensibly arranged! But have non-Sports finally gotten multilink rear ends (thus correcting the error starting in 2011 with the MDs' & GDs' torsion beam)?

·
Registered
721 Posts
...the cluster's improved; while the temp & fuel guages are still inset with the tach & speedo, they're more sensibly arranged!
They are arranged exactly as they are in my 2017 Limited. Not clear which model is in the interior photo of the cluster, but it may be that the Sport is still arranged as it currently is arranged.
But have non-Sports finally gotten multilink rear ends (thus correcting the error starting in 2011 with the MDs' & GDs' torsion beam)?
I would not bet on it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
But have non-Sports finally gotten multilink rear ends (thus correcting the error starting in 2011 with the MDs' & GDs' torsion beam)?

Not an error. 95% of those on the road could care less if it had a IRS or torsion beam. If it did, the price would go up and they would lose sales. You want or think you need the IRS, buy a Sport.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In Autoweek's review (https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2019-hyundai-elantra-angry-angles) they say, "Safety features proliferate, some interior options move around, but this year, it’s all about the sheetmetal."

You'd think the writers for a weekly Automotive magazine would be a little smarter. As far as I can tell, the only changes to sheetmetal are minor changes to the hood, trunk, and front fenders (the actual shape of the fenders hasn't changed, only the amount of it that is metal vs. bumper cover). The rest of the actual sheetmetal is unchanged. All of the changes are grille, bumper cover, lights, lenses and the like. Brings my respect for Autoweek way down.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Also it appears to have about 6 inches more overhang in the front than the 2017-18. With how low-slung these things are, No Thank You! It's hard enough to avoid scraping the bottom of the bumper cover on parking bumpers, curbs, and the like...and forget about driving up onto just about any car ramps.

·
Registered
721 Posts
How do you open the trunk? Where is the button? in the 17-18 it is just above the license plate on the decklid itself, but I don't see where it would be. In the bumper above the license plate perhaps? (That would be awkward.) I would assume that there is still an option to open it by hand (not just auto opening by proximity).

·
Registered
170 Posts
It looks like the backup camera is better integrated into the rear now. I wonder if they now have a higher resolution backup camera? The current one is very low rez with just an analog composite video connection.

It's a stark contrast to other vehicles I've been in. That have an HD resolution with their backup cameras.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It looks like the backup camera is better integrated into the rear now. I wonder if they now have a higher resolution backup camera? The current one is very low rez with just an analog composite video connection.

It's a stark contrast to other vehicles I've been in. That have an HD resolution with their backup cameras.
They probably had to do this as the tag is now much lower. But they made it look like an after though. They need the tilt open Hyundai logo to clean it up.

Probably the same exact camera.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Prefer the current styling. Always liked the trident rear lights. Agree with Myke212 on the wide mouth grills that are popular these days. And they should have upgraded the door trim, at least on the Limited since that's been a low point compared to some others in the class. Mild refresh of the controls & steering wheel look good. Leather seating looks unchanged (at least from the pics). I wish they had upgraded available power in the Limited instead of just carrying over the 2.0. Overall- minor refresh and not running out to trade in my '17.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As a 2018 Elantra Sport owner I find the changes pretty terrible. The interior looks even more busy and the instrument cluster looks bedazzled. I would of reconsidered my decision if that was the 2018 model.

It appears they brought over some of the Ioniq features by redirecting airflow hence the more spear type of design. It's mean't for fuel economy. I would rather have them focus on tuning a more efficient drive. To improve city figures they can use start and stop technology or even better just make it a hybrid with a sports mode:

Source: https://www.motortrend.com/news/refreshing-or-revolting-2019-hyundai-elantra/

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just did quick comparison of my favorite vehicles I am consider to replace my current drive. All top models (why settle for something less)...

Elantra 2019 $32.9K - 6 real auto gears, no paddle shifters, no stop-and-go ACC; gas consumption: 8.3/6.4
Elantra GT 2018 $34.8K - 7 DCT, paddle shifters, gas: 9.2/7.1
Accord 2018 $46K - 10 real auto gears, paddle shifters, gas: 10.4/7.4

For difference of only $1.9K GT is the winner. Why would somebody buy Elantra when for a less than 2K you get all possible tech features and very neat interior (all holes could be closed. finally.)

Accord is a pricier car but offers ... what? turbo? GT has it. More power? Do not give a rats ass. Is it a 'best bet'? Not really. I had few recalls for mine during warranty period (and after). Resale value? Don't give that BS. Mine is 14 years old with just over 100K km and resale value is just few grands. I would never buy a car due to it's 'resale value'. But would still take Honda Accord over Camry any day...

DCT is my major concern. Now they announced GT with N-Line... so lets see it that is make up only or some HP bump ups.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts