Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my dealer's service department to take my car for an ECM software update. She said it will only take 45 minutes. Anybody aware of this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine updated on Saturday. I was told about 45 minutes to and hour. It took about 20.

BTW, I have an '19 VE as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had mine updated on Saturday. I was told about 45 minutes to and hour. It took about 20.

BTW, I have an '19 VE as well.
Do you know what it was for? I don't see a TSB for it. Probably really just an update?

Cool! We just got ours last week and we're liking it

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Had, my 2017 ECM update about 3 months ago. Can update the CAN and BCM's at home connected to my routher but I guess our stupid EPA will only let a dealer update the ECM. Emission requirements so they say.

Ran across mechanics that didn't even know how to switch on a computer.

Didn't notice anything different with the update and nothing in writing what it was for, but the coffee and doughnuts were free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had, my 2017 ECM update about 3 months ago. Can update the CAN and BCM's at home connected to my routher but I guess our stupid EPA will only let a dealer update the ECM. Emission requirements so they say.

Didn't notice anything different with the update and nothing in writing what it was for, but the coffee and doughnuts were free.
Hahahaha! Ok, good to know the drive characteristics appear unchanged. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts

How exactly do you update your BCM and and CAN at home?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the update 4 weeks ago. I did find that the rough idling that sometimes randomly appeared during the first start in the morning dissapeared. (Which is good).

What I found is that the average fuel economy dropped down arround 5MPG, and the calculation in the dashboard varies much more than before, no matter that I have already spent more than the half of the tank, the average will keep increasing and decreasing significantly.

My MPG dropped from an average of 38-40 (combined) to 33-35 (combined) which is terrible.

Is anyone is experiencing issues like this? I will appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I had the update 4 weeks ago. I did find that the rough idling that sometimes randomly appeared during the first start in the morning dissapeared. (Which is good).

What I found is that the average fuel economy dropped down arround 5MPG, and the calculation in the dashboard varies much more than before, no matter that I have already spent more than the half of the tank, the average will keep increasing and decreasing significantly.

My MPG dropped from an average of 38-40 (combined) to 33-35 (combined) which is terrible.

Is anyone is experiencing issues like this? I will appreciate your comments.
The MPG drop sounds too much! NicholasD didn't notice anything different. Maybe you should ask your service department about this? We have been enjoying better than rated MPG and I'm about to take it in for the update this weekend...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
On a high speed internet, modem feels a 2.5/5 gb Netgear router. Elantra is parked in the garage about 50 feet away.

Have a 13.5 V 30 ampere pure DC power supply, I connect the output across the battery terminals. This fools the computer into thinking the engine is running. If you don't have a power supply have to run the engine, can be as long as two hours.

I leave the driver's door closed, the remote in one of the cup holders, car is locked in my attached garage, that dog you see is guarding the car against thief. Go in the passenger door, press the start key twice that energizes everything, foot off the brake, engine does not start.

Switch on the radio and press settings, go to the WiFi icon, it finds the name of my router, I named it, select it and punch in my password. It finds it, says signal strength is strong, then I switch to System.info.

At the bottom of several selections press that, that checks all the BCM software, and reloads it if necessary, may take up to two hours. Don't open the driver's door, will shut everything down. Can't interrupt it. Leave other devices off that may consume data.

Best to do this after the hackers go to bed and normal people wake up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took n our Elantra to the dealer yesterday for the ECM update. It turns out that it's not part of the recall campaign! I'm glad as we're happy with its fuel efficiency and performance as is. I did learn another nifty feature about opening the trunk and that first service is free, though. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I just got a call from my dealer's service department to take my car for an ECM software update. She said it will only take 45 minutes. Anybody aware of this?
Yes had mine done. This update was to fix a key on no start problem(random) as sometimes the engine would not crank on the first keyon. This update fixed this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had ECM Update 19-01-027H done about a month ago. Service said it was in relation to some vehicles who had issues with the temperature gauge when the heat is on. I've seen a thread on here related to that but can't recall the exact complaints. I had no complaints and the update did nothing to alter my vehicles performance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had ECM Update 19-01-027H done about a month ago. Service said it was in relation to some vehicles who had issues with the temperature gauge when the heat is on. I've seen a thread on here related to that but can't recall the exact complaints. I had no complaints and the update did nothing to alter my vehicles performance.
It's funny you mention the temp gauge thing. Last winter, my gauge would sometimes bounce around from warmed up to cold. I had the ECM update done in Oct and since then, the gauge has been rock solid, even on frigid mornings. The tech said the update dealt with misfires and didn't mention anything about the temp gauge issue. I'm glad this fixed it, though :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts