Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and upgraded to an 2018. Mine came with stock 15. I was thinking about getting a set of 16 from Ebay the 2017 rims I really like. Any ideas? I’ve seen the 18 inch rims but don’t like the look. Also has anyone swapped to the navigation unit with apple play? Other options was a blacked out grill with honeycomb. I think a blacked out edition on the blue would look sharp. Add some tint and be good. Ideas or thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I wouldn’t buy the knockoff M&S grill unless you were purchasing the real deal. M&S was the original creator of that design for the AD platform.

Also- no one here is really going to know much about aftermarket parts, but here’s a glimpse of a sweet grill I wish they made for the Sport model; sadly it’s only available for the non sport models. It’s more dimensional (3D design) than the M&S honeycomb design which is more flat based.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
R-12 refrigerant used practically a bullet proof so called tube and fin condenser a solid brass snaked tube with one inlet and outlet.

R-134a can't use a tube and fin, but a parallel flow made of thin aluminum, where a stone would bounce off a tube and fine, would knock a hole in a parallel flow a condenser, only cure is to replace it.

Just some thoughts on the grille, should let some air through, but not stones. Bugs plugging the fins in even a radiator is now a 115 year old problem that was never addressed. No air, no cooling.

Tube and fin condensers could be repaired with solder and cleaned with acid. Parallel flow is strictly throwaway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, I like the rims in the first link you've got. Those are actually from the 2017 Elantra Sport; I've got that on my ebay watch list. May most likely buy them later in the year if available still. I was also looking at some others, but the problem is the offset. Didn't want to have to buy spacers and such in addition to what I already had to put out on the rims themselves. I'm in agreement with NicholasD; that grille looks great, but what about debris from the road? I've seen a couple here where I live, but I don't know how well they handle any debris from the road, and we've got a lot of dump trucks that haul material, never cover them up correctly and drive like bats out of ****. SO imagine a couple loose stones hurtling into your grille at 60/70Mph. My current grille has several knicks in it from situations just like that. Maybe if there was some sort of inner mesh cover to offer some added protection..

Here's two other rim options I was considering.. The Enkei may be a bit much, but I just liked the staggered look

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17X7-5-Enkei-VORTEX5-Anthracite-Mach-Wheel-Rim-5x114-3-ET40-17-7-5-5-114-3-/362216341592?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTEGI-RACING-MR116-MR11677031740-RIMS-SET-OF-4-17X7-40MM-OFFSET-5X100-BLACK-RED/121170270717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm not sure which Blue you have. There's the Electric Blue which a really bright shade, Lakeside which is more a dullish colour and my Elantra is Stargazing Blue, which is a sort of pearlescent colour mixture between blue and purple. The rims I linked, I imagined how they'd look against my colour. You just have to know what kind of look you want. Maybe if you could get one of those sites that allow you to put a pic of your car and then add the rims. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the electric blue Elantra. I do like the 2017 rims and I also like the 19 inch Santa Fe rims. Maybe a shinny plastic dip?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I ordered that grille... Will let you know quality once I get. I do plan on picking up a second layer of mesh at home Depot and painting it black to throw behind the grille as an added layered guard for protection per say... Just gotta figure out a way to mount it securely without taking away from the look of the new grille.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I ordered that grille... Will let you know quality once I get. I do plan on picking up a second layer of mesh at home Depot and painting it black to throw behind the grille as an added layered guard for protection per say... Just gotta figure out a way to mount it securely without taking away from the look of the new grille.
I would like to see it mounted after you’re finished installing it. I’m just about to pull the trigger on the M&S grill. I’m still waiting on the below item to finally make production.

https://www.facebook.com/sxthelement/posts/2122101784689095

....then I’ll be all set.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would like to see it mounted after you’re finished installing it. I’m just about to pull the trigger on the M&S grill. I’m still waiting on the below item to finally make production.

https://www.facebook.com/sxthelement/posts/2122101784689095

....then I’ll be all set.
Well your in luck cause I'm installing it tomorrow morning lmao. Not gonna do the mesh screen behind it though as I'm gonna pull it off again in the summer to possibly install hella horns but I'll post the pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Grill looks good, doubtful you will need the additional mesh behind it. Most slots in grills have bigger openings than those holes.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Decided against adding the mesh it looks fine as is.. put my plate back on now deciding if I should add red hella horns in the summer to give it that extra flare. Thoughts?
I would have skipped adding the front lic plate. I know you’ll come back saying something like it’s enforced up there in your area. I really don’t see the point to add a nice grill, then add the lic plate which is an eyesore.

I added aftermarket horns very shortly after purchasing my 2018 Sport. I even took pics and shared them on this forum. I purchased special harnesses which I took pics of and also shared with the forum. I get all kinds of surprised looks in shock when I use my horn. At least I know I’m heard over the OEM horns with the aftermarket pair when some fool is doing something stupid on the road.

The factory horns sound so silly...as if to reply back to stupid people on the road...’I really don’t mind you’re nuts, but check out my wimpy horn and thanks for almost colliding into me.’ With aftermarket horns, that’s never the case. It’s usually a scared/concerned/surprised look as to, ‘oh no...I didn’t see you; I get it.’

I wouldn’t wait to put off an install like this. It’s really saved me from tons of accidents when the other fool doesn’t check his lane and suddenly tries to merge into my lane.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your absolutely right. It's law in Ontario to have your plate mounted in the front, can't even leave it on the dash to make it visible without a ticket. Do you have a link to your horns?

Decided against adding the mesh it looks fine as is.. put my plate back on now deciding if I should add red hella horns in the summer to give it that extra flare. Thoughts?
I would have skipped adding the front lic plate. I know you’ll come back saying something like it’s enforced up there in your area. I really don’t see the point to add a nice grill, then add the lic plate which is an eyesore.

I added aftermarket horns very shortly after purchasing my 2018 Sport. I even took pics and shared them on this forum. I purchased special harnesses which I took pics of and also shared with the forum. I get all kinds of surprised looks in shock when I use my horn. At least I know I’m heard over the OEM horns with the aftermarket pair when some fool is doing something stupid on the road.

The factory horns sound so silly...as if to reply back to stupid people on the road...’I really don’t mind you’re nuts, but check out my wimpy horn and thanks for almost colliding into me.’ With aftermarket horns, that’s never the case. It’s usually a scared/concerned/surprised look as to, ‘oh no...I didn’t see you; I get it.’

I wouldn’t wait to put off an install like this. It’s really saved me from tons of accidents when the other fool doesn’t check his lane and suddenly tries to merge into my lane.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also wanted to use the tow hook to mount my plate so that it didn't block the grill at all but apparently every auto shop in my city doesn't have a kit that would fit.. found one on Amazon for $120 and someone local was willing to fabricate one for $110 and I couldn't justify spending that much money on something to hold my license plate.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Your absolutely right. It's law in Ontario to have your plate mounted in the front, can't even leave it on the dash to make it visible without a ticket. Do you have a link to your horns?
I have several posts with pics when I installed mine. The link below doesn’t show the harness plug in end, but if you dig by doing a search, you’ll eventually see where I shared actual pics. The harness end I purchased plugs directly into the OEM wiring. It’s plug and play.

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

The hella horns weren’t really my style due to the factor I wanted function over aesthetics. The horn I went with is scary loud for what it is. There’s a sound clip in the link below.

PIAA | Automotive Slim Sports Horn (400/500Hz) #85114

1 - 16 of 16 Posts